U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 AM

8,825 posts, read 6,677,216 times

Advertisements

I second that, live and let live...

are you looking for a fight celticlady1??? (just kidding)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,302,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I second that, live and let live...

are you looking for a fight celticlady1??? (just kidding)
Well, I'm not of Celtic bloodlines for nothing!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 AM

8,825 posts, read 6,677,216 times
Allrighty then!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 AM

1,562 posts, read 4,021,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
The Amish are worthy of respect but at the same time, they try to keep the next generation away from modern day things and knowledge. It's almost cultlike, the way they isolate.
I know isolation is probably the only way they can keep their way of life.
They are not hurting anyone from the outside world by living that way, so more power to them. I just know I would want to explore the rest of the world. And so do many of the younger people, I believe they are losing young people to the outside world every year. Some go to college and never return. It's got its pros and cons like anything else.
(if this comes out snarky or smart alec-y, its due to limitations of text.)

Well, it seems that you don't know too much. There is actually a period in which the amish go out and enjoy the 'real world' called rumspringa. They are allowed to have as much sex as they want, do drugs, party, etc etc. After this, they can either choose to be amish, or not.

It's their choice, it's not REALLY enforced on them....

except that if they don't choose to be amish they are ostracised.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,669,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
(if this comes out snarky or smart alec-y, its due to limitations of text.)

Well, it seems that you don't know too much. There is actually a period in which the amish go out and enjoy the 'real world' called rumspringa. They are allowed to have as much sex as they want, do drugs, party, etc etc. After this, they can either choose to be amish, or not.

It's their choice, it's not REALLY enforced on them....

except that if they don't choose to be amish they are ostracised.
How ostracized? Does it mean their family and everyone they know is no
longer allowed to have anything to do with them? That's pretty enforcing
to me. There are sects that do that, shun you if you leave and it sounds pretty
awful. Mothers can't speak to children, sisters can't speak to brothers and
wives can't speak to husbands. They take your picture off the mantle and
behave as if you've never existed. I don't know if the Amish go that far but
if they do I don't think it is to their credit. I'm afraid alot of religions and
cults look real rosey from the outside, even picturesque. Then someone
gets away and writes a tell-all...

Last edited by laysayfair; 04-03-2008 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,983,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i dont think the Amish are THAT isolated. i have been to Amish communties a couple of times and have gone to the homes and "museums" to learn about them.
then i have seen them in the regular markets, selling along side non Amish people. i have seen them use the phone and get off the bus and wear sandles.
i have seen them frequent the same restaurants i was going to.
they dont try to keep their teens away from society. i fact they have a ritual when they are about 16, they are allowed to live in the regular world for about 2 years. they may travle etc. then they must choose: either stay in the world, or go back to their community to accept their religion.
most obviously go back, or they would have been "extinct" by now.
but some ddo not go back, and they are basically shunned by the community.
I think you are confusing Mennonites and Amish. See here and read the last three paragraphs:
RITRO.com - Alternative Lifestyles - Story - Amish vs Mennonite Lifestyles

Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,435,841 times
I've visited some of the Amish communities and I also thought they have some admirable qualities. One thing that I found to be irritating is that tourists will go to these small towns and treat them like a tourist attraction. They don't like to be photographed but I remember some guy who walked right out on the highway when one of their horse drawn vehicles was coming towards him to get a photo. It seemed very rude and the people tried to cover their faces. The one problem I could see with growing up in an Amish community would be the tremendous conflict that a young person would feel if they wanted to live a modern lifestyle. I don't really know what happens when someone decides they want out but I suspect that the ties to their family would be strained if not completely cut off.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,551,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I remember meeting some lovely Amish people in PA and OHIO ( both from the Old Order and the New Order) and they were very impressive as communities.

I can ,even as an atheist respect their lifestyle and religion because like the Quakers they do genuinely seem to truly live their religion. There seems little hypocrisy in them , something I always find grating in most religious groups.

They seem like peaceful and genuinely happy people. I do not understand their belief systems but I respect it.

I am envious in a way of the inner strength they must have to be able and keep modern life at bay.

I was invited to a an Amish Farm for lunch once and they were the most hospitable people you could imagine. And the Lady of the House managed to mend a painful ankle too, a real bonus !

Their lives were so wholesome, the air around their land was somehow clearer and fresher than anywhere else. The kids look fresh and healthy. They all seemed so content.

It seems such a much simple and peaceful way to live and I suspect all those "modern comforts" we are so fond of are not all they are cracked up to be and that we could learn a lot from the Amish people.

I don't know about the incest figures , though I suspect all close-knit groups around the world will experience those higher figures to be fair to them.

I am sure the vast majority are sweet, gentle creatures and that their God is giving them a greater purpose in life, a happy soul, and all the best to them I say.

They are industrious, honest and hard-working, their sense of true community and social closeness is something which shames us all.
May they live long and prosper !

I think we need more groups like this just to remind us that our modern monoculture is not the only life-style out there and that being different is a good thing.

Oh and they don't preach to you. Big bonus.

I told the Amish family I had lunch with I was an atheist, they shook their heads, expressed sadness, but nothing more was said of it. I was not made to feel I was going to hell or somehow wrong. I found them refreshingly tolerant of my atheism.

I find it fascinating that Amish farmers are the some of the most productive in the world and the Barn raising thing is just something we could all take a leaf out of.

They live ( the Old Order at least) sustainable, incredibly healthy lifestyles and as long as they are happy, it seems prefect to me.

I remember reading a statistic somewhere that most young Amish people who do leave the community to experience the modern world end up coming back.

Pretty telling I would say.
I agree with everything you said.

I used to live in Ohio and I would always seem them at our zoo. I never saw them elsewhere because I lived in a city, but nobody could stay away from our zoo, lol. It's one of the best.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM

1,562 posts, read 4,021,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I agree with everything you said.

I used to live in Ohio and I would always seem them at our zoo. I never saw them elsewhere because I lived in a city, but nobody could stay away from our zoo, lol. It's one of the best.
Eh.. we have a fair amount out here. Being within driving distance of the amish community and all.

They'd frequently go to diffrent farm tours to see how other people ran their opperations. Interestingly, most people don't know that the amish are allowed to use machinery for some diffrent tasks (I know they are allowed to use it for either planting or harvesting, can't recall though)

Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,742,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Eh.. we have a fair amount out here. Being within driving distance of the amish community and all.

They'd frequently go to diffrent farm tours to see how other people ran their opperations. Interestingly, most people don't know that the amish are allowed to use machinery for some diffrent tasks (I know they are allowed to use it for either planting or harvesting, can't recall though)
I have been to an Amish community in Northern Indiana a few times and they are very nice people. Ya from what I heard, they can make a deal to have a farmer say plow their field with his tractor, then they compensate him for it. I never heard of them actually using the equipment.

It is refreshing to see everyone agreeing on something ( for the most part ) and not bashing each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality