U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

62 posts, read 177,384 times

Advertisements

The Amish are a very conservative Christian faith group, they believe Christ died for our sins. Many of their beliefs are the same as Fundamentalists and other Evangelical churches including baptism and a literal interpretation of the Bible. The Amish believe in remaining separate from the rest of the world, and they reject involvement with military or warfare. There is no centralized Amish organizagion but all Amish follow an unwritten set of rules called the Ordung.

If your interested!!
PlanetPapers - The Amish

A couple of things that send a red flag.
1. They won't take part in the military. (So they want freedom but won't fight for it, I'm not keen on the way the military is right now, but I'll fight if I have to. ).
2. They follow the same bible but adhere to it very strictly and their interpretation of the Bible is also verbatim and quite literal. (So if they keep the gosple to themselves and never share it. They ignore the "Great Commision"??)

Just my thoughts.

Other than that I think it would us some good to loose technology for a while. A nice dose of reality never hurt anyone.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM

658 posts, read 703,539 times
>>They follow the same bible but adhere to it very strictly and their interpretation of the Bible is also verbatim and quite literal. (So if they keep the gosple to themselves and never share it. They ignore the "Great Commision"??)>>

Most Amish subscribe to the Calvanism, a view that states if one is going to be saved, then they do not need to be witnessed to, God will simply save them. This is the 'predestination' side of the 'free will vs. predestination' debate. Fortunately, Christ as our example is not an isolationist although separation from the world's standards is not negotiable to live as His child, and most Christians follow his example instead of some interpretation by someone else. The Amish church was founded by someone who broke away from fundamentalist Christianity (that is, no blending the world's standards with the God's standards), and it is that person's views that the amish espouse, not necessarily what the Bible says. Calvanism is why they ignore the great commission.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM

27,236 posts, read 43,152,156 times
Heck, I'd like to become Amish!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM

4,325 posts, read 5,489,449 times
I had a best friend in school who was amish. The best friend I ever had. Her family had no electricity, they could only go to public school until high school then had to be home schooled, never owned a car. She was just an ordinary girl practicing what her family practiced. If she chose to move away fromt her religion, she was free to do so. I do know that some, however, would be disowned if they chose to stray away from the beliefs.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,948,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junos View Post
The Amish are a very conservative Christian faith group, they believe Christ died for our sins. Many of their beliefs are the same as Fundamentalists and other Evangelical churches including baptism and a literal interpretation of the Bible. The Amish believe in remaining separate from the rest of the world, and they reject involvement with military or warfare. There is no centralized Amish organizagion but all Amish follow an unwritten set of rules called the Ordung.

If your interested!!
PlanetPapers - The Amish

A couple of things that send a red flag.
1. They won't take part in the military. (So they want freedom but won't fight for it, I'm not keen on the way the military is right now, but I'll fight if I have to. ).
2. They follow the same bible but adhere to it very strictly and their interpretation of the Bible is also verbatim and quite literal. (So if they keep the gosple to themselves and never share it. They ignore the "Great Commision"??)

Just my thoughts.

Other than that I think it would us some good to loose technology for a while. A nice dose of reality never hurt anyone.
1. I don't think that the Amish push for war.
2. The Amish do not believe that everyone should live as they do. They do not participate in the political arena.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM

36,177 posts, read 22,133,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
I wholeheartedly agree June. I cannot think of a better example of true Christian love than that. The Amish truly do live out their faith and for that I respect them. Did you know that the families of the victims also shared the money that was donated to them with the family of the shooter? The way the Amish community handled the whole situation made a huge impression on me as well.

The Amish disown their children if they chose a different lifestyle, like maybe a lifestyle of the 21st century! They are a cult!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,126,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
>>They follow the same bible but adhere to it very strictly and their interpretation of the Bible is also verbatim and quite literal. (So if they keep the gosple to themselves and never share it. They ignore the "Great Commision"??)>>

Most Amish subscribe to the Calvinism
The Amish are Anabaptists, not Calvinists. The Baptists are a mix of Calvinism and Anabaptism, but the Baptists are quite different than the Amish. (Although the "Primitive Baptists" seem to have some element of rejecting modernity)

I have a mostly good view of the Amish, but they do have negatives. They are highly inbred. They also place an extremely high value on forgiveness, which is ideally admirable but at times it may mean letting sex abusers get off relatively unpunished. At the same time they do shun those who leave after baptism ie apostates. (They practice adult baptism as do all Anabaptist influenced denominations. So I think the unbaptized who live outside can still be contacted based on the idea they may baptize later)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-29-2009 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: expansions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality