Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:24 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Western science has not yet discovered that the mind is not generated by the brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Do what?...
The idea that the mind is not the product of the brain. What western science does seem to be discovering is that the mind IS produced by the brain, or at least, that is the best explanation of what is observed or discovered by science.

In fact if you translate Go4No's post, what it saying is "science as yet hasn't discovered a scrap of evidence that the mind is generated by anything but the brain". What is behind that is A priori Godfaith. As is behind every theist fallacy I can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't think yours is or mine .
We can get distracted by pretty things ...as children we can get hurt and push another down in the sand box...
but, wicked'?

I think your essence is pure and innocent. Mine, too.
We go astray sometimes, not always..and our conscience gets to us.
Some in prison have been so wounded by others that their thinking is clouded with their pain that has turned into anger.
But, inside deep in their hardened heart is still a pure little kid..

Note: This isn't in the Christian section so I think we all know Bible quotes.
The question is clearly do YOU think...YOU....not what someone else thought and wrote.

Are we weak? Sure...but , born wicked? That's the question here.
Thanks.
Weak, not wicked, I agree. Corruptible but not inherently corrupt.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
We hurt people in subtle ways every day. We are mostly not conscious of it. You are only focused on sex. There are many more things we can find to feel guilty about.

No, we shouldn't torture ourselves with guilt all the time. But we should be aware of how we routinely hurt people. It is inevitable.
I'm 70 years old. I'm afraid that my "focus on sex" is not what it use to be.

I brought up sex because so often religious people consider sex to be dirty and degrading.

Matthew 5:
[28] But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

This sort of nonsense is the perfect formula for a lifetime of guilt and repression.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM

You folks may not believe it but I cancel half the posts that I write. Like one just now for 'born again' because the topic was derailing from Born again being the ..the whole crap, you know, sent down (metaphorically speaking) from God, to being able to identify or note the Kingdom of God. Whatever it is. But, of course, I'm not going to post it here. Mainly because I haven't the foggiest notion what I'm talking about.

Which is... ..yes. I wasn't going to post that I never had guilt and repression, except from others. Nor was I going to post that when I left and got a crappy flat in London, I left all that to them. So I won't.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The idea that the mind is not the product of the brain. What western science does seem to be discovering is that the mind IS produced by the brain, or at least, that is the best explanation of what is observed or discovered by science.

In fact if you translate Go4No's post, what it saying is "science as yet hasn't discovered a scrap of evidence that the mind is generated by anything but the brain". What is behind that is A priori Godfaith. As is behind every theist fallacy I can think of.
There is no scientific reason for thinking the mind is generated by the brain. You believe it because you are an atheist.

We know that a brain is needed to interact with this world. You can't move your muscles without a brain, and therefore you can't talk without a brain.

That does NOT mean that consciousness and thought are generated by the brain. Except for the sensory and motor areas, not much is known about how the brain works. There is no scientific reason for believing the mind IS the brain.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:04 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I'm 70 years old. I'm afraid that my "focus on sex" is not what it use to be.

I brought up sex because so often religious people consider sex to be dirty and degrading.
They think it should only happen between married people. Which does make sense.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Weak, not wicked, I agree. Corruptible but not inherently corrupt.
Amen
well said

Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
They think it should only happen between married people. Which does make sense.
To them. Wonder why they so often don't do it that way?
Quote:
There is no scientific reason for thinking the mind is generated by the brain. You believe it because you are an atheist.

We know that a brain is needed to interact with this world. You can't move your muscles without a brain, and therefore you can't talk without a brain.

That does NOT mean that consciousness and thought are generated by the brain. Except for the sensory and motor areas, not much is known about how the brain works. There is no scientific reason for believing the mind IS the brain.
There are reasons for thinking that mind is generated by the brain. If the brain is damaged, so is the mind.
The working of the mind can be linked with traceable action in the brain.
It is possible to link certain types of mental activity with certain parts of the brain.

So it seems to be that the mind being a product of the brain is the first choice theory for consciousness.

As an alternative, what you got, and where is the scientific support for it?

You will probably know by now that 'I don't need a theory' will not cut any ice here.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Yes, well said, jencam.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
By nature we are born bad.

Do you have to teach your kids to lie, to be disobedient, to be rebellious, and to be selfish?

No. It comes naturally to them.
I found this to be the most interesting and astute post here. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality