Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2021, 09:40 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's your PERSONAL viewpoint. It is not the general Buddhist viewpoint. I can cite many articles about it, but I'm not going to bother because you know that the general belief in Buddhism is that there is not a god.
Well the root belief is Brahmn and Siddartha simply rejected it, but that does not remove it from existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 09:53 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well the root belief is Brahmn and Siddartha simply rejected it, but that does not remove it from existence.
I was actually thinking about this little back and forth earlier this morning, and it sort of jelled with me about why I have a problem with some of your posts.

You have some experience with Buddhism. Over time you picked and chose various aspects of Buddhism to identify with, or to discard. Which is okay. I do it myself. I think people should do that with all religions. But, once we do that, we can no longer call it Buddhism, or christianity, or any other established religion. Maybe what you are talking about could be called Mystic's Buddhism Plus & Minus, but not "Buddhism".

So when I talk about Buddhism, I always present that Buddhism does not include a belief in a creator god. That's well-established Buddhist thought. But Buddhism -- unlike christianity -- does allow people to believe as they wish. But when we believe what we wish, we're no longer stating "Buddhism".

In some ways it reminds me of the gulf between traditional christianity and Mormonism. I support Mormons in believing as they wish. But I think they wrong to simply label it as christianity...at least without a very huge asterisk.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:27 PM

60 posts, read 21,254 times
Quote:
Well guy, you can talk all you want to a Buddhist...or an atheist, and you are just wasting your breath. May the spirit of Buddha bless you (LOL).
Well, my friend, I respectfully disagree with you on that. You see, it is not enough to know God, but also to make Him known. If God reveals Himself to you, you must be worthy of it and you won't be able to keep silent and not tell about Him to whomever you come across with. For, the beauty and happiness of knowing God will drive you so excited and humble, proud, wise, and outspoken. If you see a fellow motorist drives pass you at nighttime without his headlights on, you instinctively feel the need and duty to warm him, why? It's because you are driven by this good-Samaritan spirit to avoid an accident that might cause injury or death. But you may only warn, but not force him to put his headlight on, for it is for his own safety.

What leads to nowhere is to ridicule others for their gods, religious beliefs, faith, and doctrines. You will irate them rather than motivate them and that's how you will waste your time and breathe talking to them. But you can make a difference by debating respectfully and amicably with them while you compliment them for their choices and introduce them to your own. Bear in mind that some people are very defensive when it comes to their faith especially when you kind of make them feel that you might be right. They are filled with pride and won't concede to your truth and renounce to their faiths overnight.They may be hostile to you, but not to the truth you tell them. After they take leave from you, they may happen to be meditating on what you told them. To bring someone to change their god and faith to adopt the True Living God is no easy task and it is a long and though process. It requires patience, wisdom, and you have to be equipped with the Holy Spirit in you. But your sole mission is to let the truth be heard by every available ear, but not to mandate it to anyone's way of life. For, when the truth is heard, it will be recognized as being the truth whether or not it is adopted. It will hurt people, but it won't kill them.

On a highest level of thinking, I've come to believe that there is no such thing as an "Atheist". "Atheists" are said to be individuals who believe in no Gods. But yet, they believe in themselves and they are made to God's "Image" and Likeness ". Are not such individuals closer to God than those who worship the fake gods? Just because a child does know or denies his father doesn't mean he doesn't have one especially when he carries his father's characteristic traits. One day might come or a circumstance might arise when he might decide to know who is/was his father. Every good quality in you represents God in you. If you are animated by the spirits of love, justice, honesty, charity, forgiveness, compassion, morality, etc..., call yourself an atheist if you wish, but God still takes pleasure in your actions and train of life. For, there are other individuals out there shouting God's name days and nights, calling themselves Christian, Catholics, Mormon, etc, but it's only to deceive others. Like Jesus said, they are wolves dressed in sheep clothing. For Jesus said that a good tree brings fourth good fruits...(Matt.7: 15-20). "For each tree is known by its fruits..."(Luke6:44) Peace to all. May God bless you all.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4max View Post
Well, my friend, I respectfully disagree with you on that. You see, it is not enough to know God, but also to make Him known. If God reveals Himself to you, you must be worthy of it and you won't be able to keep silent and not tell about Him to whomever you come across with. For, the beauty and happiness of knowing God will drive you so excited and humble, proud, wise, and outspoken. If you see a fellow motorist drives pass you at nighttime without his headlights on, you instinctively feel the need and duty to warm him, why? It's because you are driven by this good-Samaritan spirit to avoid an accident that might cause injury or death. But you may only warn, but not force him to put his headlight on, for it is for his own safety.

What leads to nowhere is to ridicule others for their gods, religious beliefs, faith, and doctrines. You will irate them rather than motivate them and that's how you will waste your time and breathe talking to them. But you can make a difference by debating respectfully and amicably with them while you compliment them for their choices and introduce them to your own. Bear in mind that some people are very defensive when it comes to their faith especially when you kind of make them feel that you might be right. They are filled with pride and won't concede to your truth and renounce to their faiths overnight.They may be hostile to you, but not to the truth you tell them. After they take leave from you, they may happen to be meditating on what you told them. To bring someone to change their god and faith to adopt the True Living God is no easy task and it is a long and though process. It requires patience, wisdom, and you have to be equipped with the Holy Spirit in you. But your sole mission is to let the truth be heard by every available ear, but not to mandate it to anyone's way of life. For, when the truth is heard, it will be recognized as being the truth whether or not it is adopted. It will hurt people, but it won't kill them.

On a highest level of thinking, I've come to believe that there is no such thing as an "Atheist". "Atheists" are said to be individuals who believe in no Gods. But yet, they believe in themselves and they are made to God's "Image" and Likeness ". Are not such individuals closer to God than those who worship the fake gods? Just because a child does know or denies his father doesn't mean he doesn't have one especially when he carries his father's characteristic traits. One day might come or a circumstance might arise when he might decide to know who is/was his father. Every good quality in you represents God in you. If you are animated by the spirits of love, justice, honesty, charity, forgiveness, compassion, morality, etc..., call yourself an atheist if you wish, but God still takes pleasure in your actions and train of life. For, there are other individuals out there shouting God's name days and nights, calling themselves Christian, Catholics, Mormon, etc, but it's only to deceive others. Like Jesus said, they are wolves dressed in sheep clothing. For Jesus said that a good tree brings fourth good fruits...(Matt.7: 15-20). "For each tree is known by its fruits..."(Luke6:44) Peace to all. May God bless you all.
You love your little bubble, don't you. (note period, not question mark)

Old 11-26-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
You love your little bubble, don't you. (note period, not question mark)
My friend, there is this saying: " You can force a horse to cross the river, but you can't force him to drink from it". You are not willing to debate but to abate. It goes back to what you wrote previously that one may talk all he wants to a "Buddhist... or atheist, and one is just wasting his breath..." Therefore, let's end our dialogue here peacefully. May all be well with you.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
My friend, there is this saying: " You can force a horse to cross the river, but you can't force him to drink from it". You are not willing to debate but to abate. It goes back to what you wrote previously that one may talk all he wants to a "Buddhist... or atheist, and one is just wasting his breath..." Therefore, let's end our dialogue here peacefully. May all be well with you.
Sorry, but when you post something publicly, you should expect others to respond.

The point that I am debating, if you wish to call it that, is that -- at least from what I read -- your viewpoint is the only possible viewpoint. And that's plain wrong.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:02 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
If your god is so wanting to have all follow him/her/it, then it is incumbent on that god to reveal themselves in a substantive manner that does not depend on a belief in an imaginary friend. Your god does not do this.

Quote:
Many would suggest that if a concept (your god) cannot produce real evidence, than how can others be convinced such an imaginary friend exists? "Sacred texts" are claims, not proof.

Quote:
On a highest level of thinking, I've come to believe that there is no such thing as an "Atheist". "Atheists" are said to be individuals who believe in no Gods. But yet, they believe in themselves and they are made to God's "Image" and Likeness ".
Just as only a christian can define their own christianity, you don't get to define what an atheist believes or does not. Most atheist will say they see no evidence of a god, or gods, an until verifiable and falsifiable evidence is presented, they can't have that belief. Speaking only for myself, if a god as portrayed in the bible were to proof themselves in a manner that is undoubted, I would damn that god, not worship it. I refuse to worship or sanctify any entity that endorses slavery, orders how to beat slaves, orders genocides, subjugates women, blames the rape victim, and DEMANDS compliance. That is a celestial dictatorship, and not worthy of following. Respect is earned, not demanded.

Quote:
Are not such individuals closer to God than those who worship the fake gods? Just because a child does know or denies his father doesn't mean he doesn't have one especially when he carries his father's characteristic traits. One day might come or a circumstance might arise when he might decide to know who is/was his father. Every good quality in you represents God in you. If you are animated by the spirits of love, justice, honesty, charity, forgiveness, compassion, morality, etc..., call yourself an atheist if you wish, but God still takes pleasure in your actions and train of life. For, there are other individuals out there shouting God's name days and nights, calling themselves Christian, Catholics, Mormon, etc, but it's only to deceive others. Like Jesus said, they are wolves dressed in sheep clothing. For Jesus said that a good tree brings fourth good fruits...(Matt.7: 15-20). "For each tree is known by its fruits..."(Luke6:44) Peace to all. May God bless you all.
All gods are imagination figments of individual or mass creation. We are way past the time that we should be following things that illiterate, uneducated, superstitious, itinerant, wandering Bronze Age goat herders telling stories around nightly campfires to explain phenomena they didn't understand. Such as storms, thunder, floods, cause of diseases, and other natural occurrences.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but when you post something publicly, you should expect others to respond.

The point that I am debating, if you wish to call it that, is that -- at least from what I read -- your viewpoint is the only possible viewpoint. And that's plain wrong.
Of course, my friend, I expect others to respond to my public posts and that is the very essence of public postings. You expect others to agree or disagree respectfully with you, but not ridicule you and your post. That is the essence of debating. It's only those who disagree with you that may bring something new to you. In response to my post you said and I quote : " You love your little bubble, don't you..." (End of quote). What was that supposed to mean other than abating me. If you are 100% certain that I am living in a bubble with my belief, your duty by charity is to burst that bubble and set me free, wouldn't you? We are all gathered here debating on a specific topic where everyone is posting their opinions. And I never in any way, shape, or form tried to impose my belief or make it pass as better. And if you read my post carefully, you would see where I wrote that everyone is entitled to their own belief, and worship and advertise the god of their choice. It's like going to a car auction place where sellers expose their cars and buyers place their bet on the car they like, and they buy it "as is". It is not until after they took that car with them and started driving it that they realize how good or how bad a deal they had. By this allusion, I'm trying to say that it's not until we die physically that we come to realize the truth about Life, about Death, about Ourselves, and about the real God that deserved to be known and worshiped. By then it will be too late, No return, No refund, no Exchange. I hope you see my point.
May you have a pleasant day. Keep safe and healthy. Peace!

Old 11-27-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Of course, my friend, I expect others to respond to my public posts and that is the very essence of public postings. You expect others to agree or disagree respectfully with you, but not ridicule you and your post. That is the essence of debating. It's only those who disagree with you that may bring something new to you. In response to my post you said and I quote : " You love your little bubble, don't you..." (End of quote). What was that supposed to mean other than abating me. If you are 100% certain that I am living in a bubble with my belief, your duty by charity is to burst that bubble and set me free, wouldn't you? We are all gathered here debating on a specific topic where everyone is posting their opinions. And I never in any way, shape, or form tried to impose my belief or make it pass as better. And if you read my post carefully, you would see where I wrote that everyone is entitled to their own belief, and worship and advertise the god of their choice. It's like going to a car auction place where sellers expose their cars and buyers place their bet on the car they like, and they buy it "as is". It is not until after they took that car with them and started driving it that they realize how good or how bad a deal they had. By this allusion, I'm trying to say that it's not until we die physically that we come to realize the truth about Life, about Death, about Ourselves, and about the real God that deserved to be known and worshiped. By then it will be too late, No return, No refund, no Exchange. I hope you see my point.
May you have a pleasant day. Keep safe and healthy. Peace!
No, actually I have very how expectations for people like you in regard to how you respond to my posts.

The "little bubble" routine. I don't know about you, but usually people who talk you do have never been outside their little bubble. They've lived in one particular environment their entire lives. They haven't lived for a while in a predominantly Buddhist nation, or a predominantly Muslim nation (for example); they only know first hand that one little bubble.

I have no duty toward you.

You christians want to be treated with respect. Well, telling -- or even believing -- that a Buddhist or an atheist is going to hell because they don't accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior is the height of disrespect.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Just as only a christian can define their own Christianity, you don't get to define what an atheist believes or does not. Most atheist will say they see no evidence of a god, or gods, an until verifiable and falsifiable evidence is presented, they can't have that belief. Speaking only for myself, if a god as portrayed in the bible were to proof themselves in a manner that is undoubted, I would damn that god, not worship it. I refuse to worship or sanctify any entity that endorses slavery, orders how to beat slaves, orders genocides, subjugates women, blames the rape victim, and DEMANDS compliance. That is a celestial dictatorship, and not worthy of following. Respect is earned, not demanded.
With all due respect, where in your quoted section of my post, do you see I defined what an atheist believes or does not. I only quoted a general definition of an atheist from the dictionary. It's not my own conceived definition. If you have something against that definition, take it to whomever put it there. I can only define myself and what I believe in. And as you seem to imply, if the basis of belief is placed on what one can see, hear, touch, taste, or feel as evidences, them I am right to say that an atheist believes in him/herself and so do all people. But to believe in someone or something that one cannot see, hear, touch, or feel defines " Faith", a great deal of faith. It's a strong vibration inside of you that create that belief in you. We use faith in our daily life in many ways. But enough of that.
As to the part of your post where you wrote and I quote:"I refuse to worship or sanctify any entity that endorses slavery, orders how to beat slaves, orders genocides, subjugates women, blames the rape victim, and DEMANDS compliance. That is a celestial dictatorship, and not worthy of following. Respect is earned, not demanded." (end of quote), I actually feel your point. But I would say, if you allow me, that God created this world and everything that exists and lives, He own them and He has dominion over everything. He may treat and dispose of them as He fits good.

If you have a stubborn troublesome incorrigible child that is disgracing your name, disrespecting you, driving you insane, committing crimes, breaking laws, etc, wouldn't you become frustrated, deceived, angry to the point where you might even regret having given birth to that child? And if he gets sentenced to death by the government for a crime he committed, what can you do about it? Or will you curse the Government for his verdict over your criminal child that represents a nuisance and a threat to other people's life? And if it were someone else who killed your own beloved child, would you protest a death penalty put on that person? I don't know.
But what I can say is that if the Government who did not give life to people can order them killed, why not God who actually gives life and owns the breath of life in people?

Do we have control over the basic elements that keep us alive? Mother Nature, the sun that gives us light and heat, the oxygen we breathe, the oceans for their fishes, the rivers for their water, the trees for their fruits, the planet we stand on, who and what keep it steady in space, and etc.. , what If the super natural force that keeps those things existent, retired? I hope I wasn't boring with my opinion. It's just an opinion.
May you enjoy a pleasant day. Keep safe and healthy. Peace!

\

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-28-2021 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Tried to fix quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality