Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 11:46 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
views expressed in your posts (i.e. calling it "egocentric" "amusing" "beyond reasonable" "beyond humble") indicate and demonstrate that you are ignorant of (lacking knowledge and awareness) what it means for humankind to be "made in God's image"
Non sequitur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 11:47 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
You can define yourself any way you choose. I said nothing about you personally. The; If you can't see past yourself is for everyone and me included, because I went through that and am being set free of it, as I explained the source of that.

I was just sharing part of the story. You asked the question; Are we made in God's image.

Just so you know, I am not a part of what this world calls Christianity.
Seems "God's original plan for mankind" was for us to disagree about all such things, and to do so with all our heart, mind and soul...

Old 04-01-2022, 11:48 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
atheism is not a problem any more than an empty room is a problem. it's simply empty. nothing there. atheism = lack of belief in deity. it's very definition is a lack. a void. i simply recognize therefore inherent in atheism the lack of ability to discuss with any fluency for instance the topics of this thread, i.e. "God's original plan for mankind" and " the related "made in God's image," the holy and the sacred in humanity and in daily life. atheism contributes nothing and offers nothing and contains nothing on those topics.
Also how to bake cookies, balance accounts and fly a kite.

But the question was about atheists, not atheism.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, mankind has toasted the planet. Potential garden locations are going up in smoke, literally. Mankind is too hooked on fossil fuel energy sources and the products produced in factories using those energy sources. Greed of the people who own those industries is further exacerbating the problem.

The only hope for re-establishing a garden anywhere, is if mankind, or most of it, dies off, and the Earth isn't too far gone to be able to regenerate itself. If by then, it hasn't lost its life-sustaining atmosphere.
How can all this be true (and so it seems) when we were made in God's image?

Always seems to me this is somewhat insulting to God at a minimum...

Old 04-01-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ignoring the behavior seems counterproductive to searching for truth.
It's not all that different from ignoring the person spouting off on a busy city boulevard with their favorite bit on a piece of cardboard, about whatever they believe, as if everyone should believe the same thing as they do. As if all they have to do is keep repeating themselves and flashing that piece of cardboard...

Counterproductive is to engage with people like that. Sometimes even dangerous, but either way the hope of anything productive coming from such engagement is wishful thinking at best. A waste of time pretty much all the time. Good news is that there are enough of the better comments to consider that help to keep this forum a lost cause entirely. Look for those...

Old 04-01-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
In other words, two wrongs make a right. Or, the ends justify the means. Or, when they go low, I go...low, too. Great morality system!
AKA politics.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
And he knows that it's rarely worth the effort to go back and search for quotations from old posts. He relies on that.
That's a bogus stance.
I do it all the time, every time...especially to prove lies are being told.
It takes less time than some posts we compose...so...
People always claiming they did or didn't take certain positions. I always set the record straight...with their own words.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Perhaps, instead of summarily dismissing how several of us critique your postings, you ought to actually consider what others are saying. At least a moral person would.
Whataya talkin about?!!
I always respond...in detail & repeatedly.
Well...to the degree it is allowed. Once pile-on reporting gets it proscribed...it limits what can be said.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:32 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Whataya talkin about?!!
I always respond...in detail & repeatedly.
Well...to the degree it is allowed. Once pile-on reporting gets it proscribed...it limits what can be said.
I have seen no evidence that you internalize what several of us have been saying. That not the same as presenting us with a counter-lecture.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:06 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Interesting that now you CAN speak for humankind. Amusing too. Tell you this...I've known plenty enough people who are egocentric just as I describe. Thinking the world revolves around them, and since the great majority of the people I know are religious, or people I know about, there is a great deal of truth about what I explain in this regard. Not all people. Not you perhaps, but who doesn't see how so many people are inclined toward self-centeredness? Going all the way back in history to present day. Sure seems to me the notion that man was made in God's image is indicative of that sort of self-centeredness, but again that's just one of many examples that suggest we humans are inclined that way. All too many, and yes. That is my opinion. No need to waste anyone's time point that out again.
you missed entirely the point which was made.
are some people self-centered and egotistical? yes.
is the phrase "made in god's image" self-centered and egotistical?
when viewed through a secular mindset yes.
when viewed through a theological or sacred mindset no.

the point is that you don't know what "made in god's image" means in a theological or sacred context.
only in a secular context. because that's all you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality