Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Spend any amount of time here, and you'll find out the secularists really only tolerate those they agree with. Thankfully they are not truly indicative of real life.

But yes--we are to love each other.
love in word only, or must we love in deed as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:16 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I can have compassion and understanding for him having a distorted, deranged mind.
It's the old "dropped on his head at birth" compassion....while having disgust and revulsion for what it made him think and then do.

Compassion is another way love expresses itself....like charity, listening, kindness, aiding in a time of need when ya think they caused all their problems themselves. ha....giving selflessly of yourself without judgment.
It's not mushy, affectionate , eros love.

An very good way of putting it.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

I won't edit even though I got a basically useless rep point letting me know that I made a typing error of "An" instead of "A"

Would that poster have something more substantial or interesting to criticize?

Last edited by old_cold; 10-22-2018 at 06:48 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 06:30 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. Jesus made it abundantly clear what the True Nature of God is by using His life as an unambiguous example. All the eternal torment nonsense is from the fallible men who chronicled His life and death using their primitive and barbaric beliefs about God as the context for interpreting Him.
Wrong, the fictional Jesus of the gospels was used to tell the theological beliefs of members of various Christian sects.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. I am just capable of reading and forming a CONSISTENT understanding of Christ's message from His life, teachings, and death as presented in the Bible. I am able to test the likelihood that something attributed to Jesus was actually something Jesus would have said or done. You apparently are unable to do so. You apparently are willing to accept outright contradictions and inconsistencies without batting an eye as so many Fundamentalist Christians do.
No, what you are doing is cherry picking a fictional book into your own flavor of religion. By this yardstick, you may as well believe in Zues or any number of false gods man has created.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I can have compassion and understanding for him having a distorted, deranged mind.
It's the old "dropped on his head at birth" compassion....while having disgust and revulsion for what it made him think and then do.

Compassion is another way love expresses itself....like charity, listening, kindness, aiding in a time of need when ya think they caused all their problems themselves. ha....giving selflessly of yourself without judgment.
It's not mushy, affectionate , eros love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
An very good way of putting it....
I agree. I especially appreciate the phrase, "without judgment".

Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Spend any amount of time here, and you'll find out the secularists really only tolerate those they agree with. Thankfully they are not truly indicative of real life.

But yes--we are to love each other.
When will you start showing your love for others ?

When will you show tolerance for those who do not believe what you do?

When will you show even respect for Christians who do not take the Bible literal?

There are Christians from various denominations who show several orders of magnitude more respect, understanding, emphathy, and perhaps if using the word love for a general good feeling about others, than do you or the bulk of Bible believing Christians.

Sure I being a non believer am bias however reading posts by you and others I see nothing but distain and often hatred towards those not of your belief. I see none of that reading posts by Kaspur, Mightqueen, GoCardinals and many other believers nor do I see it directed towards most believers from non believers. You sow what you seed and thankfully your last sentence is one I can agree with. I dont encounter many like you in real life.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:14 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
No, what you are doing is cherry picking a fictional book into your own flavor of religion. By this yardstick, you may as well believe in Zues or any number of false gods man has created.
I hate to stick up for mystic, but I see nothing wrong with cherry picking. In fact, I think it a sign that a person is actually thinking.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I hate to stick up for mystic, but I see nothing wrong with cherry picking. In fact, I think it a sign that a person is actually thinking.
Amen. Not to mention, it’s impossible to do otherwise. Some people just don’t realize they’re doing it.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is one thing to cherrypick a philosophy written by humans and quite another to cherrypick a book promoted as the word of a god.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It is one thing to cherrypick a philosophy written by humans and quite another to cherrypick a book promoted as the word of a god.
Why is it different if you know it is NOT the “word of God”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality