Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are never an interruption, Pleroo.
Thanks Mystic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I did when I was a Christian but I havent been one for ... wow, almost a decade now.

I did know you are a guy. Did I mistakenly refer to you as a female? Sorry about that if I did.
I guess I just needed reminding of why I like and respect you. The she reference was post 62. I certainly took no offense, just wanted to be upfront on my gender. I hope you understand why I engage those who cherrypick the Bible while claiming it’s divinity.😊

Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I guess I just needed reminding of why I like and respect you. The she reference was post 62. I certainly took no offense, just wanted to be upfront on my gender. I hope you understand why I engage those who cherrypick the Bible while claiming it’s divinity.😊
Absolutely.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
That does make a difference. Aside from the 'inspiration' get - out which means they can claim divine authority for the Bible, while dodging the question of having to defend what is indefensible - it splits the 'argument for valuing the Bible' into two camps

(1) it has God's authority and we must value and respect what it says. Clearly, sherry -picking it while signing up to that claim is hypocritical and dishonest and debunks any claims the cherry-picker makes, even if it doesn't debunk the Bible.

(2) it does Not have God's authority, but it has such a lot of very splendid and worthwhile stuff in it that it should be given special and particular respect. This is a valid and (relatively) honest approach to the Bible, and is/was in fact the view of Jefferson and the basis of his "Bible". It is a question then of the opposition to make a case that in fact the Bible is no better these days than any other book on ethics or social philosophy, and arguably far less good. If that argument is substantiated, then the Bible belongs only on the shelf for mythology, because it doesn't stand up very well as history either.

Which brings up a couple of Other approaches - we should value it because it was so important for the historical growth of the West. Fair enough, just as the Bhagavad gita was important for the growth of not only India but also Southeast Asia, even though Buddhism or Islam eventually supplanted everywhere except in Bali.

The other is the 'literally true, cover-to cover'. It is arguable whether or not such people actually do 'cherry -pick' the Bible, though in fact they would deny that they are doing so. For example, trying to get over the problem of Slavery in the Bible, by excuses, evasions or sheer denial, all of which shows a degree of 'cherry -picking' since they are applying Human moral values to the Bible which they then want to amend to agree with it. That said, they are in a tougher position than the cafeteria Christian who can simply say that they don't like that bit, either, and so are excused having to defend it.

While atheists find it easier to do business with the cherry -pickers (sometimes ) their slipperiness still can be a bit of an irritation.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
You can love all people and dislike a whole lot of them at the same time.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:15 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Old 10-25-2018, 02:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
haha... thanks for understanding.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
"I love humanity; it's People i can't stand". (Linus Van Pelt)

Old 10-25-2018, 12:51 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Or you can hate all people and love some of them at the same time.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That does make a difference. Aside from the 'inspiration' get - out which means they can claim divine authority for the Bible, while dodging the question of having to defend what is indefensible - it splits the 'argument for valuing the Bible' into two camps

(1) it has God's authority and we must value and respect what it says. Clearly, sherry -picking it while signing up to that claim is hypocritical and dishonest and debunks any claims the cherry-picker makes, even if it doesn't debunk the Bible.

(2) it does Not have God's authority, but it has such a lot of very splendid and worthwhile stuff in it that it should be given special and particular respect. This is a valid and (relatively) honest approach to the Bible, and is/was in fact the view of Jefferson and the basis of his "Bible". It is a question then of the opposition to make a case that in fact the Bible is no better these days than any other book on ethics or social philosophy, and arguably far less good. If that argument is substantiated, then the Bible belongs only on the shelf for mythology, because it doesn't stand up very well as history either.

Which brings up a couple of Other approaches - we should value it because it was so important for the historical growth of the West. Fair enough, just as the Bhagavad gita was important for the growth of not only India but also Southeast Asia, even though Buddhism or Islam eventually supplanted everywhere except in Bali.

The other is the 'literally true, cover-to cover'. It is arguable whether or not such people actually do 'cherry -pick' the Bible, though in fact they would deny that they are doing so. For example, trying to get over the problem of Slavery in the Bible, by excuses, evasions or sheer denial, all of which shows a degree of 'cherry -picking' since they are applying Human moral values to the Bible which they then want to amend to agree with it. That said, they are in a tougher position than the cafeteria Christian who can simply say that they don't like that bit, either, and so are excused having to defend it.

While atheists find it easier to do business with the cherry -pickers (sometimes ) their slipperiness still can be a bit of an irritation.
I honestly believe that indoctrination is so effective that it plants an auto bypass that defaults to “god works in mysterious ways” which disconnects the believer from rational reasoning concerning many immoral acts by the abrahamic god and his “chosen” people. I could not accept the biblical god as righteous, or real, because it sanctioned slavery, mass rape and genocide. It was far more reasonable to believe that the israelies created this god to justify its absurdities. My best guess is that mankind is still too primitive to rationally dismiss its irrational desire to have a god that promises eternal bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality