Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You are correct, it does not mean there is any conscious force behind any of it...
But, I will tell you and others here can tell you...when you experience a
consciousness in everything...
you will have your socks blown off!
Many of us did nor become believers because of any 'blind faith'......we done got zapped.

And no one is an idiot for not having this experience.

Don't get me wrong Miss Hepburn, I 100% believe that you believe what you believe, but call me skeptical when I say that if such an experience of 'universal consciousness' were really a thing, then why should it be so out of reach? It seems like an extremely, if not nigh impossible, thing to achieve. Mystic and yourself both ragale similar-ish stories I recall (perhaps inaccurately) about years and years and years of focused concentration before achieving this 'zapping'.
You are not open to the possibility of it being an extreme case of wishful thinking or confirmation bias?

Last edited by Cruithne; 11-08-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Don't get me wrong Miss Hepburn, I 100% believe that you believe what you believe, but call me skeptical when I say that if such an experience of 'universal consciousness' were really a thing, then why should it be so out of reach?
It seems like an extremely, if not nigh impossible, thing to achieve.
Mystic and yourself both ragale similar-ish stories I recall (perhaps inaccurately) about years and years and years of focused concentration before achieving this 'zapping'.

You are not open to the possibility of it being an extreme case of wishful thinking or confirmation bias?
Thank you, my dear....yes, it is true I have dedicated my life to the 'inner world' of meditation.
BUT...I had profound moments of Cosmic Consciousness decades before..so there was no wishful thinking.

Now....did I line myself up with the "Powers That Be" for lifetimes in my past?
Well, darlin.....something was lined up ...cuz I did not and do not deserve what I have
exp'd in my lifetime here!!!!

I do not know why things happen to certain people....BUT....my theory is, (Sound Of Music swells now)
♫ ♫ ...they must have done something good..♫ ♫.

Ask and receive, my friend.....ask and knock and wait with sincerity...THAT is the key....purity of heart...and one day you will be here saying, SHAZAM! I saw GOD!!!

God is like a moth....love can NOT keep Him away, my friend.
Nothing is impossible, banish that from your mind.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong Miss Hepburn, I 100% believe that you believe what you believe, but call me skeptical when I say that if such an experience of 'universal consciousness' were really a thing, then why should it be so out of reach? It seems like an extremely, if not nigh impossible, thing to achieve. Mystic and yourself both ragale similar-ish stories I recall (perhaps inaccurately) about years and years and years of focused concentration before achieving this 'zapping'.
the problem is what is more reasonable. is the universe processing more information than the brain or is it processing less information than the brain?

well, we have to look at what is processing, volume, and time considerations. Among others, but they are good enough. We know 5% of the universe. So lets cut the volume to just our earth. Also, double the amount we know, even triple it, heck, lets increase it by a factor of ten. To 50%.

we know 50% of what is being processed here in the volume we call earth. If you are conscious and we only know 50% of whats going on (remembering I increased the known by a factor of ten) that means twice as much is being processed than our brains.

well, what is more reasonable to claim?

1) you ( the volume of universe we call you) process more than the earth's volume?

or

2) is it more reasonable to say the earth's volume universe process more information?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
I have considered this issue.......the last time I asked God or the gods why they allow this and do nothing about it, the response I got was
"Well, why do YOU allow it and why don't YOU do something about it ? "

Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have considered this issue.......the last time I asked God or the gods why they allow this and do nothing about it, the response I got was
I love this answer!! xo

Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
You are correct. It did require years of very disciplined effort and training to achieve the first experience, but subsequent ones were easier. It should not be surprising, however, since our ability to use language and mathematics requires similar disciplined effort and training to achieve our facility with them as tools for investigating our reality.
Quote:
In my case, I had no wish other than to achieve Nirvana (no God involved) so neither wishful thinking nor confirmation bias applies to my initial experiences. My subsequent efforts to explain the experiences to my intellect could probably be seen as confirmation bias since I was trying to confirm with science what I knew had to be true from my experiences.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ask and receive, my friend.....ask and knock and wait with sincerity...THAT is the key...
WEll clearly, that doesn't work.
Quote:
God is like a moth....love can NOT keep Him away, my friend.
Unless you are starving in Africa where he doesn't seem to want to go.
Quote:
Many do but that takes a lot of time, money and effort to achieve only small results. An omnimax deity on the other hand, could sove the problem in an instant.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:30 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
when I say that if such an experience of 'universal consciousness' were really a thing, then why should it be so out of reach? It seems like an extremely, if not nigh impossible, thing to achieve.
Some people require years and years of it - others do not. Some people get it the first time they take certain psychedelics for example. Other people get it only after a short period of investment in things like meditation.

Other people just get it out of the blue for no real reasons at all. For example in the opening speech of this "god Debate" here Alan Lightman describes the experience just dropping on him almost out of nowhere. He describes it quite beautifully too despite being otherwise quite a dour personality and speaker. Run the video from 2:30 to 4:55.

People are highly individual. So what works for one is not going to work for another. There are people who "get" calculus from day 1 for example - while others are years at it before their "aha" moment. There are people who look at an optical illusion and see it instantly. While others can spend weeks before the image flips for them.

Another great example which someone from this very forum introduced me to is the "alien hand" illusion. Where you can place a fake hand in front of you and manipulate it in such a way that you feel it is your hand. I have been so fascinated by this that I have done it on a few people now. Some people get the effect in seconds. Some I had to do it repeatedly for days. And some people it simply has not worked on _at all_ yet.

For me the "universal consciousness effect" or one that I describe as an "Out of Consciousness Experience" in a way that can be analogous to an "Out of Body Experience" - came relatively quickly. Measurable in months rather than years. And I can with a medium level of effort simply switch it on any time I want now. I am now at a level where almost nothing can prevent me from doing it.

Earlier background noise of any kind prevented it. Now however the _only_ background noise that is capable of preventing it is human speech in a language I recognize and understand. Any other noise - including language I do not myself understand or speak - is no longer a distraction.

The difference between me and other users here - some of whom as you probably know I suspect only _claim_ to have ever meditated but show none of the signs of people who actually have - is that I see no reason to append the narratives they do to the experiences in question. I have had all the experiences they describe - and many others they never have mentioned or described - and none of them make me think I am actually accessing a consciousness outside of or other than my own - though I can see how someone who _wants_ to think that could pretend it.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:23 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
To me, the example of the neighborly good Samaritan is showing us what God wants us to do.
God gifted Earth for us for us to be care takers of Earth - Psalm 115:16.
We are to be like that Samaritan and help on a one-on-one basis as we possible can.
In other words, to broaden out, or widen out in showing love for others in distress.

Man has created the un-even food distribution problem.
Even in the past, shipments of food and or supplies they remained rotting on docks, or sold on the black market.
Some food even sold for buying weapons.
None of which is applying the Golden Rule as outlined in God's Word.

Remember: When Adam broke God's Law, then Adam in effect was saying he was taking the Law out of God's hands and placing the Law into man's hands.
Meaning that man can run things just fine without God's help.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:19 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Or better yet, adopt capitalism.
Will you be adopting any unwanted children when you guys succeed in reversing RvW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality