Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 08:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The free-will argument has long been debunked. There can be no free-will in the face of an
omnimax deity and predestination.
Have you ever seen the DVD ,The Adjustment Bureau? Matt Damon, Emily Blunt...fun movie!!!
I kinda follow the ...we have free-will alright...to pick out the color shirt to wear ...but the big stuff?

Ah....I dunno. Surprised to hear me say that? Rem I'm not Christian, nor an avid Bible follower...I go by my exp...
I don't feel I have complete free will....it's like there is an angel, guide, friend behind me with their hands
on my shoulders turning me left and right and giving me strength to do amazing things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:12 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Clearly, those starving countries are not Christian countries. All they need to do is declare themselves Christian countries. Problem solved.

Do you mean the Christian element that doesn't believe in birth control? I doubt very much that declaring yourself a Christian is all that it will take to solve any world problem. Man created it, man must solve it, or not.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:35 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Do you mean the Christian element that doesn't believe in birth control? I doubt very much that declaring yourself a Christian is all that it will take to solve any world problem. Man created it, man must solve it, or not.
Clearly you don't "get" his post.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
As a humanist, I gelieve that we as humans can fix this problem. The question becomes, do we really care enough to make it a priority ?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:14 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct. It did require years of very disciplined effort and training to achieve the first experience, but subsequent ones were easier. It should not be surprising, however, since our ability to use language and mathematics requires similar disciplined effort and training to achieve our facility with them as tools for investigating our reality. In my case, I had no wish other than to achieve Nirvana (no God involved) so neither wishful thinking nor confirmation bias applies to my initial experiences.

But my point is... why should it require any effort at all?
If there really were a portal to access this 'experience of universal consciousness', why should some people be able to access it and others not? We're all human beings here. Why should we all not just be able to tap into this thing?

I can think of at least 10 - 20 theoretical explanations immediately off the top of my head.
The first and most obvious would be that there is no universal consciousness and no god. It's all just the product of a vivid imagination and / or confirmation bias - humans conditioned over millennia to look for a higher being.

Second explanation is that 'experiencing a universal consciousness' is actually just experiencing the exact same sense of wonderment that an atheist experiences - just that an atheist sees the universe from different (can I say more rational) position?

Let's though say there is something out there. Some possibilities might be:

* there is a universal consciousness and a god. Some people are 'special' and given VIP access.
* there is a universal consciousness and a god. God just likes playing games with people's minds. He's going to make you work to tap into it.

* there is a universal consciousness but no god.
Tapping into the universal consciousness happens by means of one or more of the following: by chance / by concentration/meditation / wishful thinking /confirmations bias.. as above.

Those are just a few scenarios. I could go on.

Quote:
My subsequent efforts to explain the experiences to my intellect could probably be seen as confirmation bias since I was trying to confirm with science what I knew had to be true from my experiences.
Probably the most genuine and open statement I have ever seen from you Mystic!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and what about the free-will of those who are suffering? Do you think you are going to have free-will in this heaven that you think you are going to and if so, how will it be any different to how it is now, with people doing just what they like to harm others?
It doesn't matter what human nature is, your god could change it in an instant...

The free-will argument has long been debunked. There can be no free-will in the face of an omnimax deity and predestination.
Free will can't be debunked. Of course they don't choose to starve and suffer but other humans with free will chose to bomb them or be a corrupt government or whatever. Nature 'chose' for there to be a famine.

I know nothing about the government of Somaliland but I know they have no damn water to grow food.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Free will can't be debunked. Of course they don't choose to starve and suffer but other humans with free will chose to bomb them or be a corrupt government or whatever. Nature 'chose' for there to be a famine.

I know nothing about the government of Somaliland but I know they have no damn water to grow food.
And Jesus/god has free will to watch and control how much food is available and do nothing.

As long as the sun shines tree won’t starve.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:02 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And Jesus/god has free will to watch and control how much food is available and do nothing.

He could allow them to immigrate into various countries.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:07 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Free will can't be debunked.
Except for an all knowing god. You can not have an all knowing god and free will at the same time.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:23 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
He could allow them to immigrate into various countries.
Or it can just think of feeding its starving creations if it wanted to.

But yea, allowing large groups of people to move into someone else’s food supply is an excellent idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality