Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 05:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Here is my personal belief based on tangible experiences. When we die our spirit/energy/soul/consciousness is separated from our physical body and we experience ego-death. Your self-identity is completely gone. You end up in a dimension where there is no space and time. This place is more real than reality itself. Whether reincarnation takes place, I have not idea but I think it's certainly possible.
Prior to my experience, I would have agreed with you since that is what I sought for 18+ years as an atheist Buddhist meditator. My experience disabused me of that idea since the consciousness I encountered was ONE but consisting of myriad individual consciousnesses including my own. This was a major surprise and completely unexpected. It is also impossible to describe.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
You sound as if you speak that is the absolute proof. Are you saying you know that as fact?
Being that we have never had any recollection other than what our brains perceive, it is reasonable to believe there is no recollection after our brains die. Can we know anything about after death as fact? No, but we have 0 evidence their is anything after we die. As an atheist, I hope there is a nice existence after death, but I’m living my life as if it is all there is.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thoughts?
It's probably a continuous process because we've always existed.

The mother incubates the living creature(s)/spermatozoa on a micro-macro level.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:39 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Being that we have never had any recollection other than what our brains perceive, it is reasonable to believe there is no recollection after our brains die. Can we know anything about after death as fact? No, but we have 0 evidence their is anything after we die. As an atheist, I hope there is a nice existence after death, but I’m living my life as if it is all there is.
Which makes that your “belief” since you have absolutely no idea.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:00 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
You sound as if you speak that is the absolute proof. Are you saying you know that as fact?
There is no evidence showing anything else. We KNOW that when our body is put into the ground, without being embalmed, we will decompose, feeding bugs, slugs, worms and plants. Our atoms that comprised our bodies will be dissipated into other things, some living, some not.

We KNOW all of that happens.

Anything else is speculation.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There is no evidence showing anything else. We KNOW that when our body is put into the ground, without being embalmed, we will decompose, feeding bugs, slugs, worms and plants. Our atoms that comprised our bodies will be dissipated into other things, some living, some not.

Exactly, there is no evidence of what happens after you die. You said it yourself. All you are doing is describing what happens when we die on this physical Earth.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Are you saying you KNOW that the personality we are communicating with in this forum designated as "normstad" will decompose and feed the biota in the ground??? We have no access to the body you claim will decompose, but we certainly can identify the personality.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly, there is no evidence of what happens after you die. You said it yourself. All you are doing is describing what happens when we die on this physical Earth.
There is CLEAR evidence what happens. We decompose. Anything else is speculation. Why would one belief speculation of an afterlife, when there is NO indication it exists. You may hope it does, and I have to admit, it would be great seeing some of my family members I loved again, but it is much better for me to live this life on earth the best I can. Best for me, my family, my friends, my earth.

Destroying any of them, not being a humanitarian, is the real sin. Anything else is myth, myth developed thousands of years ago by superstitious, uneducated, Middle Eastern desert goat herders. There may be some life guidance in those myths, but then so does Grimm Fairy Tales and Harry Potter (literally). That makes them interesting, not special.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
There is CLEAR evidence what happens. We decompose.
Yes, clear evidence on this PHYSICAL EARTH.

Quote:
Anything else is speculation. Why would one belief speculation of an afterlife, when there is NO indication it exists. You may hope it does, and I have to admit, it would be great seeing some of my family members I loved again, but it is much better for me to live this life on earth the best I can. Best for me, my family, my friends, my earth.

Destroying any of them, not being a humanitarian, is the real sin. Anything else is myth, myth developed thousands of years ago by superstitious, uneducated, Middle Eastern desert goat herders. There may be some life guidance in those myths, but then so does Grimm Fairy Tales and Harry Potter (literally). That makes them interesting, not special.
Exactly, your BELIEF is that there is no afterlife. Or are you saying you know for a FACT there is no afterlife?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, clear evidence on this PHYSICAL EARTH.

Exactly, your BELIEF is that there is no afterlife. Or are you saying you know for a FACT there is no afterlife?
I'll tell you what, you show me the fact of how you know there is a god or gods, and I will use the same method to determine the fact of an afterlife, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.