Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Exactly, there is no evidence of what happens after you die. You said it yourself. All you are doing is describing what happens when we die on this physical Earth.

Of course. Anything else is unknown and is therefore speculation. Claiming it as credible, let alone reliable, believable fact, is obviously wrong.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you saying you KNOW that the personality we are communicating with in this forum designated as "normstad" will decompose and feed the biota in the ground??? We have no access to the body you claim will decompose, but we certainly can identify the personality.
We don't know whether the 'personality' that manifests in Normstat, you or me will disappear with the body or will continue as an independent entity, after death. I can only say that I don't see the arguments put forward to suggest the latter as very compelling. So I'm going with the hypothesis that they do Not persist as separate entities.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:26 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Which makes that your “belief” since you have absolutely no idea.
Logically, if you have no evidence for a belief something exists, that belief is probably wrong.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:05 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'll tell you what, you show me the fact of how you know there is a god or gods, and I will use the same method to determine the fact of an afterlife, or not.
I don’t claim to know for a fact there is a God. Only my “Belief” through tangible experiences. You are claiming to know for a FACT that you know what happens after you die. So where is your evidence?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:37 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
I don’t claim to know for a fact there is a God. Only my “Belief” through tangible experiences. You are claiming to know for a FACT that you know what happens after you die. So where is your evidence?

The evidence is in compost every day. Organic material decomposes. Worm food.

How great is it to know you give back. How great is it to know that the atoms that were formed and cooked in the crucibles of stars that exploded, with the ones in your left leg coming from a different star than the ones in your right arm, the atoms that have been here for billions of years, are the same atoms that will dissipate back into the earth, and at some time become particles in space when our own star explodes? Who knows what becomes of them? How far will they travel before becoming parts of new stars, or planets, or asteroids, or moons, or plants, or animals, or other intelligent life?

But it is a fascinating reality, a fact, much better than what some superstitious desert goat herders conjured up some 3,000 years ago or so in their story telling around wells and campfires.

These are all facts. Ghosts are not, or at least, no one has shown them to be.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
The evidence is in compost every day. Organic material decomposes. Worm food.

How great is it to know you give back. How great is it to know that the atoms that were formed and cooked in the crucibles of stars that exploded, with the ones in your left leg coming from a different star than the ones in your right arm, the atoms that have been here for billions of years, are the same atoms that will dissipate back into the earth, and at some time become particles in space when our own star explodes? Who knows what becomes of them? How far will they travel before becoming parts of new stars, or planets, or asteroids, or moons, or plants, or animals, or other intelligent life?

But it is a fascinating reality, a fact, much better than what some superstitious desert goat herders conjured up some 3,000 years ago or so in their story telling around wells and campfires.

These are all facts. Ghosts are not, or at least, no one has shown them to be.
Again you are describing what happens on this physical earth, not what happens to your soul/consciousness after you die. There is no fact of that. You don’t have to believe in religion to believe there is a God/entity whatever you want to call it.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Again you are describing what happens on this physical earth, not what happens to your soul/consciousness after you die. There is no fact of that. You don’t have to believe in religion to believe there is a God/entity whatever you want to call it.

You are presuming soul/consciousness exists after death? Why?

Old 12-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yes based on ayahuasca/DMT experiences.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
the volume that is your brain is a portion of the universe with consciousness. that's a fact we can agree on I think.

all portions of the universe, at least in this area, are connected at the very fundamental levels. again, a simple fact we agree on. or at least should.

so one portion of the universe loses consciousness, does the universe lose consciousness?

a person dying is akin to an ant dying. the ant is no more but the colony keeps going. there is no "after life" as some religions teach. there is only life.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yes based on ayahuasca/DMT experiences.
Drug induced experiences do not confirm what happens after death. Intensive meditation can emulate transcendence experiences, but that doesn't confirm what happens after death. Why?

Because in neither case, your not dead. The synapses that are released by both circumstances may well produce a level of consciousness beyond that which most people normally experience, and I don't doubt that for a minute, but, it's not death. Confirmation biases do not confirm anything other than what we are preconditioned to accept. We are all subject to that, including me.

Spiritual experiences are deeply and profoundly personal and impactful. I find it immensely spiritual knowing that when I die, that I will be able to provide for some other living organism. I find it immensely spiritual knowing that part of me lives on in my grandchildren, and will in their grandchildren, by the DNA I have passed on. I find it immensely spiritual that in the same manner, I am part of what my forefathers and mothers were, and that my DNA I have in me comes from eons of generations before me, including a higher percentage than 98% of the population, of Neanderthal ancestry. I know that some of my instincts, like yours and everyone else's are as a result of the DNA we got from our forefathers; concern of the dark in pure wilderness, attraction to the safety and comfort of fire, our fight or flight instinct, and many more.

That is a spirituality that can all be scientifically shown.

But there still is one hole, and that is the question, What is Consciousness?

I don't know, and neither does anyone else. Maybe some day we all will know. Is a dog conscious? Most would say yes. What about a fish? Probably. What about a lower form, like an amoeba? I suspect yes. What about plants? Well, a recent study shows maybe they do have conscious. We all know plant roots migrate towards the source of water, but they also move towards the SOUND of water?

Study reveals plants 'listen' to find sources of water | University News : The University of Western Australia

How did they "sense" that sound? Are they conscious? And if they are, how far down the plant family does one travel to explore that?

It's a mystery for now. An intriguing one, but we can't jump to the conclusion that this consciousness exists in inanimate objects, or that it continues after a death. We just don't know, but we can't assume, no matter how much we may want it to be. That's like the god of the gaps argument. It doesn't hold water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality