Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 11:23 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
tell me one person that knows the answer?

how would you answer not knowing?
how would you answer saying closed?
how would you answer saying open?
how would you answer saying neither?

now shrink your question and answers to a volume with a radius of 40 AU's.
Mr. Laugh Your Anus Off, all day long you reference how the universe works as a counter to world religions, yet you do not know whether or not it is a closed or open system? Is your body a closed or an open system?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Mr. Laugh Your Anus Off, all day long you reference how the universe works as a counter to world religions, yet you do not know whether or not it is a closed or open system? Is your body a closed or an open system?
this is your answer? come on grab, I expected a tad more. you know, I always say use what you know, don't focus a conclusion on what you don't know. you are focusing on an unknown. an unknown by anybody I might add.

shrink our claims to 40 AU's and lets compare who's seems more valid to more people?

at 40 AU its open. we could argue that point based on sun's energy and particles here already, but open is good enough. And closed can be justified to a lessor degree, but still valid for our purposes.

biblegod
life
non life

I'll take any other reasonable answer to analyze.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
this is your answer? come on grab, I expected a tad more. you know, I always say use what you know, don't focus a conclusion on what you don't know. you are focusing on an unknown. an unknown by anybody I might add.

shrink our claims to 40 AU's and lets compare who's seems more valid to more people?

at 40 AU its open. we could argue that point based on sun's energy and particles here already, but open is good enough.
And closed can be justified to a lessor degree, but still valid for our purposes.

biblegod
life
non life

I'll take any other reasonable answer to analyze.
Open to what?

Old 12-31-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Open to what?
err ... I gave up teaching on the internet in 08. what was that person's name? earthmommy or something. I talking and all of the sudden I realized she was just a pissed off at god person because she, the little housewife, didn't get what she wanted. brining in logic was meaningless to this broken spirit.

I more of a "if you don't get what I said maybe you shouldn't be offering an opinion right now." kind of person these days.

if you don't know what "open and closed" means in relation to 40 AU's we really need to clarify our end game here.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
err ... I gave up teaching on the internet in 08. what was that person's name? earthmommy or something. I talking and all of the sudden I realized she was just a pissed off at god person because she, the little housewife, didn't get what she wanted. brining in logic was meaningless to this broken spirit.

I more of a "if you don't get what I said maybe you shouldn't be offering an opinion right now." kind of person these days.

if you don't know what "open and closed" means in relation to 40 AU's we really need to clarify our end game here.
You often refrence the universe during discussions. I thought perhaps you might want to offer further insights since you're not religous nor spiritual and you often say you just report how the universe works.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
You often refrence the universe during discussions. I thought perhaps you might want to offer further insights since you're not religous nor spiritual and you often say you just report how the universe works.
lets get back to the start. Th poster said something like "things" "move" around and end up to form life."

I said that wasn't untrue. I used what I know about life to say that claim is, at least, very reasonable.

you asked me if the universe was a closed or open system. I said nobody knows that answers so shrink the volume from universe to 40 AU Radius and lets evaluate the claims. The claims I thought we would be looking at were yours, mine, and his.

You stated that "you (arach) claim to use how the universe works and you don't know even know if the system is closed or open."

My question to you, is how does open/closed system effect the claim that we see little pieces of the universe interact in such a way that the word "homeostasis" seems to fit the observations exactly?

Old 01-02-2019, 03:32 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
The Bible 101 – What is, is God.

That is a very big house you have built on sand.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 AM

175 posts, read 75,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We don't know and as a dear now passed on friend who was an atheist used to say to me:

No one has ever come back to tell me anything.
Well, they have come back to tell me. My late father told me "I'm dead but I'm not dead," and that was good enough for me.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Well, they have come back to tell me. My late father told me "I'm dead but I'm not dead," and that was good enough for me.
I think That was you reconciling the unknown.

what it seems to mean is that the universe is not dead, your father, although gone, was just an image, a thought, a creative gesture of the universe. Your father and you are the universe QM computing you and him.

The painting is gone but the painter goes on.

Or is it

the painting is hanging, for all to see,
the painter has gone
to create for others
what he has created
for you.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 AM

611 posts, read 281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Agreed, there is the idea that consciousness is a property of the universe. But I have yet to see any evidence for this; and am always conscious (joke intended) that many people have a problem with the idea of something without a purpose, because we evolved this idea of purpose, whether one exists or not. So the idea that consciousness may just be an evolved trait is uncomfortable for some.
Consciousness is not a property of the universe? Can you show me where the property of the universe ends and begins? Show me one thing that is not a property of the universe? How are you not a property of the universe. That tree is not a property of the universe? Consciousness is not a property of the universe? I am the universe looking back at itself, it's where I came from, it is where I exist, and it is where I return to. Sounds pretty much that everything you can see or not see is a property of the universe.

And I have yet to see evidence of anything that is not a property of the universe. Where did it come from? where was it made? where was it going? Give me a hint.

How is it that everything you are, and everything you was, and everything you will be, and everything you see or know, is not a product of the universe, the whole?

And why is it that you think that Consciousness as a property of the universe and that it may evolve, to develop gradually, is either one or the other and not one and the same?

Since you were born with consciousness, I would say your consciousness has evolved a lot.

Purpose is a product of a thinking mind, and purpose does not exist without a thinking mind. The thinking mind is what gives things a purpose or not: otherwise nothing has any purpose whatsoever. You can see no purpose for a car, then a car has no purpose for you. It is an idea that gives a car purpose, not evidence. I can see lots of purposes for a car, then a car has lots of purposes for me.

No purpose for the solar system, no purpose for the leaves to fall from a tree? No purpose for the rain? I am consciousness, I see a purpose for the universe...how much consciousness does it require to see no purpose in things. Why does your heart beat, no purpose? Something causes it to beat, and something causes it to do something to cause it to beat, and something caused that, and something caused that, and on and on it goes even if consciousness can see no purpose in anything. No purpose for the universe? How hard was that for you guys to come up with and fix that opinion as evidence?

Nothing has any purpose except man and what man creates, even the air that he breaths has no purpose unless he puts it in a can and goes underwater. How dumb is that?

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-02-2019 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality