Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM

48 posts, read 34,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There is no good reason to assume that there is a god, afterlife, or reincarnation.

What about some experiments?
Like astral projection, magick evocations, meditations and so on. Procedures are freely on the net, try Google.
Philosophical considerations are nothing.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
When i see good evidence that supports deny everything I will join the deny everything sect of atheism.

I am betting i will wait a very long time. Like when we lose all science and are tossed back into the stone age.
As an atheist I doubt the existence of an omnipotent God. I doubt the existence of the supernatural, in fact.

Wikipedia
Supernatural
The concept of the supernatural proposes that something cannot be explained by scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural

Does that mean I deny EVERYTHING? Well...no! I simply am not inclined to put any stock in the childlike make believe of others.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpino View Post
Like astral projection, magick evocations, meditations and so on. Procedures are freely on the net, try Google.
OP asked about god and reincarnation, not astral projection.

But astral projection and magic are both nonsense.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:02 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,246 times
No god/s

No afterlife

...but humans don't know everything under the sun.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
But I have yet to hear a single person on here describe a meditation experience
I myself have no had many many times.
(That sentence in bold I couldn't understand.)The things you posted are nothing new, anyone that talks about
much of anything metaphysical or supernatural or Divine is responded to this way.
I have nothing to 'prove'...just Hannibal and I could have a nice chat one day.
But, no one talks about meditation much 'here', you're right.
Even on forums about meditation, with fellow meditators we seldom
'really get into' our personal experiences inside.
Newbies will, tho...while asking what something means or to excitedly share some 'cool' experience.
It's kinda cute.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
What about them? We have done many. They have not found evidence for the things discussed here.

Quote:
Like astral projection, magick evocations, meditations and so on. Procedures are freely on the net, try Google. Philosophical considerations are nothing.
Ah the old "try google" move of someone with no evidence hoping someone else can find it for them. When someone has no evidence they can pretend it is there hidden in google somewhere.

Also I do not see the utility of dropping words like "meditiation" into the conversation when you do not understand them. Meditation is useful and often transformative. It is not evidence for the things discussed on this thread however. If you think it is - by all means explain how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
(That sentence in bold I couldn't understand.)The things you posted are nothing new
Well yes - well done - that is my point exactly!! You're starting to get it! Those experiences are indeed nothing new. Yet they are flung onto forums like this one - often by people who show no signs of ever having had or pursued those experiences - as if they are somehow magically evidence for things people are simply making up like "heaven" and "god" and "reincarnation" and other metaphysical and supernatural nonsense.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Quote:
But, no one talks about meditation much 'here', you're right. Even on forums about meditation, with fellow meditators we seldom 'really get into' our personal experiences inside.
Newbies will, tho...while asking what something means or to excitedly share some 'cool' experience. It's kinda cute.
And that is certainly something we should change. "Meditation" for many is some strange mystical foreign ground that seems all mysterious and validating. So many people like our resident mystic throw the word "meditation" into conversation without seemingly ever done any - because they feel it gives their nonsense and evidence devoid claims some kind of yogi street cred.

So we should be discussing meditation a lot more to demystify it and denude it of the metaphysical bullcrap that people package it up with. To show that when people throw out claims about encountering god in "deep" meditation - when they seemingly never meditated once ever - that they are talking crap.

And until we do that - charlatan purveyors of woo and nonsense and fantasy are going to use things like meditation to etch out a false corner of credibility for what is otherwise patently complete nonsense.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
(That sentence in bold I couldn't understand.)The things you posted are nothing new, anyone that talks about
much of anything metaphysical or supernatural or Divine is responded to this way.
I have nothing to 'prove'...just Hannibal and I could have a nice chat one day.
But, no one talks about meditation much 'here', you're right.
Even on forums about meditation, with fellow meditators we seldom
'really get into' our personal experiences inside.
Newbies will, tho...while asking what something means or to excitedly share some 'cool' experience.
It's kinda cute.
Yes, up until they are blamed for all the world's ills.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
No god/s

No afterlife

...but humans don't know everything under the sun.
I love the name "Slackercruster". Makes me think of someone putting a herb coating on lamb and Gordon Ramsay yelling at him because he's doing it too slowly.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:53 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There is no good reason to assume that there is a god, afterlife, or reincarnation.
Correct.

"Well, who knows what happens after death?" is just a cop-out.

If I were to say "Well, who knows what texts my old iPhone is sending now that I've tossed it into the garbage and it's been compacted and gone to that great Wireless Store in the Sky?" everyone would think that was ludicrous. But postulate the exact some idea about humans and a magical everafter and plenty of otherwise rational people will pat you on the back and congratulate you for admitting that you don't know.

It's willful cognitive dissonance borne of a residual emotional attachment to an obviously-absurd idea.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Just because those things exist and are possible, does not necessarily prove there is a God, afterlife, etc though.

Maybe these are just things mankind has not perfected and mastered yet...maybe at some point in the future, we will learn how to fully access and use these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality