Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The child was born with only a brain stem. That is a fact. Here is another article explaining it.

https://www.kidspot.com.au/health/ba...a4b79f33786aff
That is just rewriting or repeating what the first article said, with some added commentary.

And your 'fact' was reported by a newspaper journalist who may or may not have any science experience. Do you know how often 'science' journalists get even the basics wrong?

And do you think these poor children will grow up to be fully conscious, thinking great ideas, or even being able to walk normally?

And did you not even realize this is a clue for the very thing you are now arguing against (after arguing for it, which you did after you first argued against it)? A limited brain gives a limited consciousness.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
The child was born with only a brain stem. That is a fact. Here is another article explaining it.

https://www.kidspot.com.au/health/ba...a4b79f33786aff
You can search the web and find the same story regurgitated by numerous sources.

Until we see an actual medical document we really don't know if he was only born with a brain stem. Online news articles rarely get the facts straight when discussing medical or scientific events.

The fact that this child will be impaired the rest of it's life due to having a limited volume of brain matter should be evidence that our level of conscious awareness and cognitive functioning is the result of having a fully functioning whole brain.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You can search the web and find the same story regurgitated by numerous sources.

Until we see an actual medical document we really don't know if he was only born with a brain stem. Online news articles rarely get the facts straight when discussing medical or scientific events.

The fact that this child will be impaired the rest of it's life due to having a limited volume of brain matter should be evidence that our level of conscious awareness and cognitive functioning is the result of having a fully functioning whole brain.
I doubt you will find any medical documents in cases as rare as these but this is not an isolated incident. There are a few others that have been born with this rare condition and without major parts of their brain they are still conscious.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/baby-b...ry?id=35756194

Keithville boy born without brain dies at 12

https://www.foxnews.com/health/girl-...-seeks-support

Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is just rewriting or repeating what the first article said, with some added commentary.

And your 'fact' was reported by a newspaper journalist who may or may not have any science experience. Do you know how often 'science' journalists get even the basics wrong?

And do you think these poor children will grow up to be fully conscious, thinking great ideas, or even being able to walk normally?

And did you not even realize this is a clue for the very thing you are now arguing against (after arguing for it, which you did after you first argued against it)? A limited brain gives a limited consciousness.
Again, not an isolated incident. The condition exists and there have been multiple humans who have been conscious without major parts of their brain. I ask again in your paper where does it talk about consciousness arising out of the brain stem?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Again, not an isolated incident. The condition exists and there have been multiple humans who have been conscious without major parts of their brain. I ask again in your paper where does it talk about consciousness arising out of the brain stem?

And again, where is your evidence (other than a news paper story) that the first baby only has a brain stem? After all, we saw in your other link (that you are now ignoring because it actually supports what I've been saying all along) how people can be wrong.

And again, have you not thought that a limited consciousness in a brain damaged person is evidence FOR the brain being the source of consciousness?

And your ABC news story does not say Jaxon Buell only had a brain stem.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And again, where is your evidence (other than a news paper story) that the first baby only has a brain stem? After all, we saw in your other link (that you are now ignoring because it actually supports what I've been saying all along) how people can be wrong.

And again, have you not thought that a limited consciousness in a brain damaged person is evidence FOR the brain being the source of consciousness?

And your ABC news story does not say Jaxon Buell only had a brain stem.
You keep deflecting away from the fact that you presented a paper of evidence for consciousness being located in the entire brain. I asked you specifically if this paper discusses the brain stem being able to generate consciousness and you have yet to come up with any answers.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
You keep deflecting away from the fact that you presented a paper of evidence for consciousness being located in the entire brain. I asked you specifically if this paper discusses the brain stem being able to generate consciousness and you have yet to come up with any answers.
Wrong, it is you who is once again deflecting from 1) the fact that you have ONE news paper article that may have the information wrong, 2) this poor child will grow up with a fully functioning consciousness, and 3) that another article you quoted says the evidence points to the whole brain being responsible for consciousness.

It is irrelevant whether the paper does talk about the stem or not because you have not yet demonstrated 1) the baby only has just a stem, and 2) that it will be have a fully functioning consciousness if it survives to being an adult.

Until then, I will rely on all the evidence I have presented earlier, the evidence that you have either ignored or misrepresented.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 AM

1,226 posts, read 633,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There is no good reason to assume that there is a god, afterlife, or reincarnation.
I agree! Some people need the crutch of Christ and the promise of heaven to get through life. I don't think it matters. When we are dead we will all be dust, and we will all die eventually. If dust has some spiritual properties, I'd be aware of it, as my house is filled with dust.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
I doubt you will find any medical documents in cases as rare as these but this is not an isolated incident. There are a few others that have been born with this rare condition and without major parts of their brain they are still conscious.
Great and until we can find credible information on this child case I will not put much stock in online news articles which typically get the facts wrong...especially when it comes to medical or scientific facts.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
my own personal experience_____YES GOD EXSISTS,YES LIFE GOES ON IN A DIFFERENT FORM AND YES LIFE CAN BE RECYCLED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.