Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
my own personal experience_____YES GOD EXSISTS, YES LIFE GOES ON IN A DIFFERENT FORM AND YES LIFE CAN BE RECYCLED
What personal experience did you have that led you to these conclusions?

Old 01-15-2019, 01:33 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Wrong, it is you who is once again deflecting from 1) the fact that you have ONE news paper article that may have the information wrong, 2) this poor child will grow up with a fully functioning consciousness, and 3) that another article you quoted says the evidence points to the whole brain being responsible for consciousness.

It is irrelevant whether the paper does talk about the stem or not because you have not yet demonstrated 1) the baby only has just a stem, and 2) that it will be have a fully functioning consciousness if it survives to being an adult.

Until then, I will rely on all the evidence I have presented earlier, the evidence that you have either ignored or misrepresented.
These congenital conditions exist where brain's cerebral hemispheres are absent to varying degrees, and in rare cases as shown humans have lived longer than expected. What you have failed to do is answer a simple question based on the evidence you provided. Until you provide that evidence from your paper I will assume you have none for which I have asked repeatedly.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
These congenital conditions exist where brain's cerebral hemispheres are absent to varying degrees, and in rare cases as shown humans have lived longer than expected.
Yes, but they will never grow up to be fully conscious, thinking great ideas, or even being able to walk normally. So all you are doing is providing more evidence that consciousness is a product of the whole brain (again).

From one of your links - 'Bambakidis told FoxNews.com. "It’s possible to have those autonomic functions still active without having the cerebral cortex, the part that (Kaliysha) is missing, which controls the higher functioning things like personality, memory and speech working."'

Quote:
What you have failed to do is answer a simple question based on the evidence you provided. Until you provide that evidence from your paper I will assume you have none for which I have asked repeatedly.
No, your question is NOT based on the evidence I provided, as Godwin, Barry, and Marois were talking about the whole brain in healthy people. What you are asking for is do Godwin, Barry, and Marois talk about something they are not talking about, because you are pretending that the level of consciousness in these poor children will be the same as that in healthy adults.

And you have still to demonstrate this is nothing more than a brain stem, or that Aaron Murray is actually conscious as we know it. Until you do that, your question is still irrelevant.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, but they will never grow up to be fully conscious, thinking great ideas, or even being able to walk normally. So all you are doing is providing more evidence that consciousness is a product of the whole brain (again).

From one of your links - 'Bambakidis told FoxNews.com. "It’s possible to have those autonomic functions still active without having the cerebral cortex, the part that (Kaliysha) is missing, which controls the higher functioning things like personality, memory and speech working."'

No, your question is NOT based on the evidence I provided, as Godwin, Barry, and Marois were talking about the whole brain in healthy people. What you are asking for is do Godwin, Barry, and Marois talk about something they are not talking about, because you are pretending that the level of consciousness in these poor children will be the same as that in healthy adults.

And you have still to demonstrate this is nothing more than a brain stem, or that Aaron Murray is actually conscious as we know it. Until you do that, your question is still irrelevant.
Ahh but they are still conscious, that is the argument. You can have the majority of your brain missing and still be conscious even if it's just responding to stimuli you are aware and conscious. I doubt you will find an individual case of a rare genetic disorder where the family releases medical information for public consumption.

What the graph from your paper of Godwin, Barry, and Marois shows is hot colors depict stronger connections for the aware which are mainly concentrated in the middle of the brain/cortex, not in the brain stem region. The paper you provided assess pairwise functional connectivity across 264 nodes of the cerebral cortex, it says nothing about the brain stem region. So your paper clearly states for evidence of awareness in the cerebral cortex yet we know there is evidence that a human can be conscious without a cerebral cortex.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Ahh but they are still conscious, that is the argument. You can have the majority of your brain missing and still be conscious even if it's just responding to stimuli you are aware and conscious. I doubt you will find an individual case of a rare genetic disorder where the family releases medical information for public consumption.

What the graph from your paper of Godwin, Barry, and Marois shows is hot colors depict stronger connections for the aware which are mainly concentrated in the middle of the brain/cortex, not in the brain stem region. The paper you provided assess pairwise functional connectivity across 264 nodes of the cerebral cortex, it says nothing about the brain stem region. So your paper clearly states for evidence of awareness in the cerebral cortex yet we know there is evidence that a human can be conscious without a cerebral cortex.
So a plant is conscious? Plants respond to stimuli by turning their leaves to face the sun.

Is a spider conscious? They respond to the stimuli when a strand of their web snares an insect.

I think that consciousness implies more than simple stimulus response.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So a plant is conscious? Plants respond to stimuli by turning their leaves to face the sun.

Is a spider conscious? They respond to the stimuli when a strand of their web snares an insect.

Don't underestimate the consciousness of a spider.

It takes consciousness to build something elaborate...such as their webs.

It takes consciousness to build an underwater eating chamber full of oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlt9yAhqTw

Old 01-16-2019, 02:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Don't underestimate the consciousness of a spider.

It takes consciousness to build something elaborate...such as their webs.

It takes consciousness to build an underwater eating chamber full of oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlt9yAhqTw
Spiders are pretty cool. No doubt about it, and I am one of those that also has a bit of an instinctive ick-reaction to spiders. I did not know that they could dive as well.

But conscious? I hate to start down a path that resulted in a different thread being heavily edited, but we seem to be talking about a definition. Consciousness seems to be on a spectrum. Plants aren’t, people are, and most biological things, including spiders are somewherein the middle.

Is there a jump at some point where instinct and stimulus response jump to self-awareness? It seems to me that there may be, although I admit I am completely uneducated in this area.

Returning to the main conversational thread though, I don’t think that a person with only a brain stem, that exhibits no signs of conscious thought, can be considered conscious. It seems to take moreof a brain than that.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
the major problem is people don't know what they don't know. But even worse, they think that what they do know is all any of us need to know.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

There’s even debate out there on whether plants are conscious or not.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
There’s even debate out there on whether plants are conscious or not.
In Jr. High science class the teacher lit a match, and as he held it closer and closer to the plant the plant moved further and further away from the burning match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.