Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:20 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times

Advertisements

Western civilization has caused our species to lose a lot of its humility and respect for nature and super-nature. We don't think we need to sacrifice and many of us don't think they need a higher power. We don't understand how limited and fallible we are.

Not everything in the bible is true, but some is. The idea that we are all stupid is very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 01:42 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
As I said before, we really don't know if that was silly. We really don't understand sacrifice.
There is nothing to understand for a loving, decent and tender heart.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
As I said before, we really don't know if that was silly. We really don't understand sacrifice.
Do you think God was appeased by a grown man killing a goat or lamb,
so would stop an earthquake or a storm? I know you
are against it being called silly or probably even superstitious.
As I said to me it is tantamount to throwing a virgin into a volcano to stop it...you really do not like
when I say that was silly...is it the judgment of it as silly you object to? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is nothing to understand for a loving, decent and tender heart.
Love is not the only thing in this world.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As I said to me it is tantamount to throwing a virgin into a volcano to stop it...you really do not like
when I say that was silly...is it the judgment of it as silly you object to? Thanks.
I think from our modern perspective we often judge ancient beliefs and practices unfairly because we don't understand them. The assumption always seems to be that they were primitive and ignorant, while we are advanced and wise. We are not wise, and I think we have lost so much of what they knew.

Maybe the Universe is dangerous as well as compassionate. Maybe parts of the Universe care about us, while other parts don't.

We really do not know.

Maybe acts of sacrifice demonstrate devotion and humility, proving to gods and spirits that we are serious about our worship.

Sacrifice, and other rituals and religious rules, make life more difficult. In exchange, supposedly, you get protection and blessings.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Love is not the only thing in this world.
It is to God since God IS agape love and that is what we are responsible for reproducing as His children.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:35 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Jeremiah 10:14 English Standard Version (ESV)[SIZE=2]14 [/SIZE]Every man is stupid and without knowledge;
every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols,
for his images are false,

Yirmiyahu - Jeremiah - Chapter 10

14 Every man is brutish without knowledge; every smith is put to shame by his graven image, for his molten images are false, without spirit in them.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It’s not about the killing it is about sacrificing the best of what you have, proving that you are not selfish...This is what was going on in Malichi, the priest were sacrificing the worst of the flock and keeping the best for themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality