Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm pointing out that you apparently get pretty ticked off and you resort to all sorts of name calling and personal insults when you're questioned.
What makes this statement so absurd is that you don't ask me questions.

But let's just say for the sake of argument that you did ask me questions. Has it ever occurred to you that some questions are offensive?

For instance, if a Christian were to ask me a question like, "If atheists have morals, then why did Stalin kill all of those people?"

Well, I would find the question offensive. Not only have I explained Russian history a dozen times on this forum to try and disabuse Christians that atheism had anything to do with Stalin's atrocities, the conclusion is already embedded in the question.

That Christian has already made up his mind that Stalin killed in the name of atheism - now he just wants to know why. It's the same kind of question as: "When did you stop beating your wife?"

But even more to the point, you people can't tell the difference between a personal insult and an insult against your religion. Nor can you tell the difference between a personal insult and an insult against your ideas. To you everything is a personal insult because devout religious people think in binary terms. All or nothing. Everyone or no one. Always or never. Full or empty. Open or closed.

Perhaps that comes from Biblical thinking which says that if you're not loving God, you hate God. If you're not worshiping God, you're worshiping Satan, etc. etc. Everything is simplistic, minimalistic, and utterly black and white.

It's as if way too many devout Christians are simply incapable of nuanced thinking - being able to see degrees of an issue instead of only the two opposite extremes.

One thing I do know for certain - some Christians internalize their religion so much that there is literally no difference between insulting the religion or the believer. You insult one, you insult the other by default. And that is where you get the vast vast lion's share of accusations against me regarding personal insults.

If I were really insulting you, the mods would have deleted the insult - or my entire post. The fact that no one has seen fit to edit me means I'm not insulting you - DESPITE the fact that one of you people have been abusing the "Report" button in an effort to try and get my posts edited or deleted and to get me banned. Cheap as hell trying to silence me like that, whoever it is doing it, but as you can see, it's not going to work - at all.

Quote:
Suggesting that I get my arguments from my "thought control masters behind the pulpit"? I'm sorry, that's offensive.
Everything is offensive to you - which is why I don't even try.

And yet here we are again. Instead of addressing my points and my arguments, you turn everything into a discussion about my behavior - which isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

If you answer any of my posts at all, it's usually with a rolling eye emoticon, so honestly, why should I even take you seriously anymore?

If you remember, we tried to come to some sort of mutual understanding. We tried the whole olive branch thing. But of course that went absolutely nowhere because you demanded way too much for that peace to continue, and I wasn't about to stop criticizing, questioning, and sometimes mocking your religion. Yet that is what I would've had to do in order to keep us at peace.

If you think I'm wrong, then defend your position. Don't just stand around accusing me of being some kind of horrible monster. Have you ever participated in a free-for-all unmoderated forum? Trust me, I'm as tame as a kitten compared to what you'd get in one of those places.

Quote:
It demonstrates that you really don't have an argument, and you resort to lobbing insults.
Thank you again for showing why I don't take you seriously. I have arguments galore. If there are insults at all in my posts, they are interspersed within my arguments. But all you SEE are the insults, not the arguments. You are simply incapable of seeing around your own ego to address anything I've said in my posts.

And even though damn near everyone on this board keeps telling you that you're in the wrong and my posts are filled to bursting with detailed and researched rebuttals to your claims, you just refuse to believe them or to ever think to yourself that maybe YOU are the problem, not me. I've been here for quite awhile and most Christians who believe as you do stepped up and engaged me in debate. They didn't persistently complain about my word usage. They were serious players - even if they were egregiously incorrect on almost every point - but they tried, and I actually respected them for it.

If my arguments are so easy to refute, then why don't you refute them? If you think I have no arguments, then you could wipe the floor with me. Make me the laughing stock of the forum. Destroy my credibility, right? I mean, you could give atheism a serious bloody nose.

But no, instead you choose to complain because I talked about your thought control masters behind the pulpit. Instead of arguing that you don't have thought control masters, or, I don't watch televangelists, or, even saying damn straight and those preachers have a point, you treat this forum as though it were a finishing school for girls and we're all supposed to be dainty, demure, and submissive.

I also get the fact that some Christians really don't like having two thousand years of cultural and social dominance questioned. Up until now, we weren't even allowed to speak openly against religion at all, and we atheists are still expected to meekly stand around while fundies and evangelicals slowly but surely take over every power position in the US government.

Quote:
It's quite sad, actually.
If you say so, Mr. Trump.

Sad. Sad.

Quote:
I really don't have a lot of respect for your elitism.
And I don't have a lot of respect for the way in which you turn every post written to me about yourself and how much I mistreat you.

I have tried in the past to write perfectly reasonable posts that would have been graded quite well by most professors and you still turned up your nose and refused to addres the points I made.

Because it's not about the perceived insults. I don't think you can come up with a defense for your position and your inability to do so makes me look like an elitist. I have never, not once, said or implied that I am better than anyone else on this forum. That's what elitism is.

And, if I put up good arguments that you can't refute, I'm not going to water them down or give you a crack that you can exploit just to make me look less eittist.

Quote:
Why would anyone want to engage you in an actual conversation when you treat them with disdain?
As I've said, the problem is you, not me. Because everyone has engaged in conversations with me - atheists, fundevangelists, agnostics, moderate Christians, liberal Christians, Muslims, Jews, theists, deists, and all the rest, and yet you're the only one who has had an issue. So how should I interpret that? Hundreds of people over the years haven't had any personal problems with me - and here comes one person who does - should I change my entire style of writing and debating because of one person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
It's probably needless but I'll point up a few remarks here.

"That Christian has already made up his mind that Stalin killed in the name of atheism - now he just wants to know why."

It's more than that. This Christians wants us to admit that Atheism makes people behave like Stalin and thus accept that atheism is wrong, bad and nobody should have anything to do with it. With the exhortation to kneel, repent and pray for Jesus to come into our hearts, ready to leap out of hiding.

If anyone doubts that, I make a pre - Jan resolution that I will allow a Noob Evangelist to persuade me of prime Mover, leap of faith to the Bible (which i will pretend to accept) and then an exhortation to repent, kneel, pray and convert. At which time I shall say that I have accepted Judaism...or Islam, maybe. I'll toss a coin.

"some Christians internalize their religion so much that there is literally no difference between insulting the religion or the believer."

As you may know, we are beginning to twig that the Believer's Faith in their god and religion IS Faith and belief in their own rightness.

"Everything is offensive to you - which is why I don't even try.
And yet here we are again. Instead of addressing my points and my arguments, you turn everything into a discussion about my behavior
"

While I did take on some points about being a bit nicer, I also found that it didn't make them much nicer in the end and answering the usual old atheist - stumpers politely instead of getting annoyed at being told that we we all of a piece with Stalin and Pol pot - never mind being told to go live in North Korea if we love Stalinist atheism so much, demolishing their argument politely resulted in as much abuse and toxic spew as if
we'd called them a bunch of ignorant, hypocritical bigots - a term I might add I have applied to only one person on the board - justifiably. And it isn't Goldenrule, or Mystic, btw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality