Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
But there have been many of them in history.
You're fixated on communism. But communism is basically a defunct and discredited form of authoritarianism. Atheism and communism are two entirely different things.

Hitler was a Christian. His plan was to reshape Europe by eliminating those that did not conform to his vision of political and racial supremacy. Yet no one is claiming that all Christians favor executing those that do not conform to their Christian beliefs. But there IS a radical Christian fringe that cannot abide non conformity with their religious beliefs. Just as there are Muslim extremists who cannot abide a non Muslim world. These individuals fall under the banner of fundamentalists.

Religion engenders passions that have always resulted in the most horrific violence. Which is why religion is too dangerous for the modern world. Examine your own beliefs. If they do not hold up well to a thorough examination of them, then why cling to them? The answer of course is childhood indoctrination. All believers are brainwashed from birth into a specific belief system. A person DOES NOT have to subscribe to a particular belief simply because that's the way they were raised, however. Before one can criticize the beliefs of others, they must first thoroughly examine their own beliefs. It's entirely possible for each individual to investigate and consider just what it is they think they believe, and the basis for that belief. And if the belief system of one's indoctrination does not hold up to a ruthless scrutiny of it, an entirely new view of reality, based on cognitive reasoning, is probably called for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
So that is the protest you want to see? Protests about actions of some unspecified person which happened at some unspecified time? Is the unspecified person still living?

Old 11-07-2018, 02:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you have any reason to believe that moderate/liberal Christians voted for him? I don't see how it would be likely that they would have any more than you would have.
That would even be scarier that a large segment of his district are radicals compared to a large segment just don't care other than he is of the correct party.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
As many on this board are fond of pointing out, Christians are the majority. He received enough votes to win his re-election. So, who cast those votes? People he wants to execute, or people he doesn't?
...capitalist?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:26 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That would even be scarier that a large segment of his district are radicals compared to a large segment just don't care other than he is of the correct party.
Good point.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you have any reason to believe that moderate/liberal Christians voted for him? I don't see how it would be likely that they would have any more than you would have.
If they didn't there must be a frightening number of Right wing Fundamentalists in America. But I rather suspect that we have the "Agnostic Syndrome (TM)" here. They don't agree with all that crazy stuff, but when it comes to siding with irreligion against it - well, they they know whose side they are NOT on". And so he gets elected.

Quote:
As many on this board are fond of pointing out, Christians are the majority. He received enough votes to win his re-election. So, who cast those votes? People he wants to execute, or people he doesn't?
I guess we atheists are off the hook

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-07-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Letting that one go, so have there been many terrible and violent Christians in History, but just as we should not point to present day Christians and say "That's what you are" you have no business to point to these past atheists and say to us: 'That's what you are'.

We are talking about present day atheists and Christians and who voted this guy in. if it wasn't Christians who agreed with his manifesto, who was it? It can only be the Christians who Claim Not To Be Like That. Perhaps they say it was just a tactic. He was Just Kidding. Nobody could be as bad as that. That's why they voted for Trump, too.

Fool me me thrice. Dubhya, Trump and now this fellow. But we got fooled in the UK, too.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've never heard anybody say they were killing Christians (or other religious people) "in the name of Atheism." Who did that?
My money's on Stalin. And I wouldn't rule out Hitler, either. He may have declared himself an enemy of Atheism, but his actions show that he was lying and was Really an Atheist as only an Atheist could act like that.

QED (Qui Est Dementiae)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
...capitalist?
That's what I heard. Some have been impressed by his pro capitalism stance and they don't take seriously his crazy manifesto.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
My money's on Stalin. And I wouldn't rule out Hitler, either. He may have declared himself an enemy of Atheism, but his actions show that he was lying and was Really an Atheist as only an Atheist could act like that.

QED (Qui Est Dementiae)

That's what I heard. Some have been impressed by his pro capitalism stance and they don't take seriously his crazy manifesto.
You'd have to be incredibly stupid to release a manifesto like that if you don't really mean it.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
You'd have to be incredibly stupid to release a manifesto like that if you don't really mean it.
It would be risky, certainly. But Trump seemed like a huge risk, and it paid off. But I'm inclined to agree - he really does mean it. And it paid off, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality