Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:09 AM

99 posts, read 51,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
My older brother Jerry defied the JW credo. He remained friendly to me until his death. Another brother Mike had nothing to do with me except when he was relocating from Tennessee to northern Washington and needed a place to stay. He stayed the night, and I never saw or heard from him again. I also have two sisters, one is kind of friendly while the other one wanted nothing to do with me except when I visited my dying father and they took the opportunity to preach at me for over 7 hours. This happened in 2008 and I haven't heard a word from them since. I've survived just fine, and I give all credit to my wonderful wife and her wonderful family.
glad to hear you have support
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Shunning is sadistic.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness for 18 years. I was disfellowshipped as an apostate, due to my talking to my girl friend about why JW's were so down on rock music, which I loved, and still love to this day. Her little brother was in the next room, out of site, but he overheard my conversation. On that basis, I was labeled an Apostate and kicked out. A few weeks later I was kicked out of my home and told not to come back.
Wow! Thank you for telling us. I went to a JW service about 3 months ago as an invite from an artist that was a very nice guy...
I don't want to break any rules here...but my goodness....I was appalled by what I heard ...like parrots
being taught to put down gays and something else, I forget....not thieves or
gossip or adultery or lust or greed....
nope gays.
Oh boy.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I think #1 defines Jehovah's Witnesses pretty well.

Q. What is a cult? And how does someone know if the faith they are following is harmful?
A. The word cult has three definitions. First of all, it can simply be a group that loves something. When people refer to an "Elvis cult" or "The O.C. cult," they mean really devoted fans.
The second definition is that of a religion whose beliefs differ from the majority around them. In the Roman Empire, Christians were sometimes considered a cult because they worshiped Jesus rather than the Roman gods.
The third, and most commonly used definition, refers to a religious group that is:
1) Exclusive. They may say, "We're the only ones with the truth; everyone else is wrong; and if you leave our group your salvation is in danger."
2) Secretive. Certain teachings are not available to outsiders or they're presented only to certain members, sometimes after taking vows of confidentiality.
3) Authoritarian. A human leader expects total loyalty and unquestioned obedience.
For the most part, this third definition of cult is being used less and less today. Experts who watch for dangerous or harmful religious groups now use the term new religious movements. The word cult can hurt people because it carries so much negative meaning. My sister was accused of being in a cult just because she preferred hanging out with Christian friends rather than going out drinking with other friends. She might have been in with a group of people that was unlike the norm (because they devotedly followed Christ), but she certainly wasn't following a harmful faith.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:49 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
I think #1 defines Jehovah's Witnesses pretty well.

Q. What is a cult? And how does someone know if the faith they are following is harmful?
A. The word cult has three definitions. First of all, it can simply be a group that loves something. When people refer to an "Elvis cult" or "The O.C. cult," they mean really devoted fans.
The second definition is that of a religion whose beliefs differ from the majority around them. In the Roman Empire, Christians were sometimes considered a cult because they worshiped Jesus rather than the Roman gods.
The third, and most commonly used definition, refers to a religious group that is:
1) Exclusive. They may say, "We're the only ones with the truth; everyone else is wrong; and if you leave our group your salvation is in danger."
2) Secretive. Certain teachings are not available to outsiders or they're presented only to certain members, sometimes after taking vows of confidentiality.
3) Authoritarian. A human leader expects total loyalty and unquestioned obedience.
For the most part, this third definition of cult is being used less and less today. Experts who watch for dangerous or harmful religious groups now use the term new religious movements. The word cult can hurt people because it carries so much negative meaning. My sister was accused of being in a cult just because she preferred hanging out with Christian friends rather than going out drinking with other friends. She might have been in with a group of people that was unlike the norm (because they devotedly followed Christ), but she certainly wasn't following a harmful faith.
We're not calling churches cults. Period.

You would feel insulted if we called YOUR church a cult. So does everybody else.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM

I'm agnostic. I don't belong to the religion of Agnosticism. You can call me a cult all you want, I promise I won't be insulted.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM

And by the way JW's are very exclusive. They are right, all other religions are wrong.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM

99 posts, read 51,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wow! Thank you for telling us. I went to a JW service about 3 months ago as an invite from an artist that was a very nice guy...
I don't want to break any rules here...but my goodness....I was appalled by what I heard ...like parrots
being taught to put down gays and something else, I forget....not thieves or
gossip or adultery or lust or greed....
nope gays.
Oh boy.
JW.ORG has a video out where a woman young girl is at a shopping mall and they are giving out free rubber bracelets supporting gay rights. The young girl refuses and some girl next to her gets up in her face. Like that would happen. It could but I doubt it. She says she stands for what god teaches and he is against Gays. Not in those words but,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7PPAB-048

They also have videos for kids featuring a young girl named Sophia and boy named cabal. In one video Sophia sees a picture at school a fellow student drew with her two mommies. The mother tells the girl that Jehovah does not approve and she can witness to the student.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2VffLez9k

Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTWGA View Post
JW.ORG has a video out where a woman young girl is at a shopping mall and they are giving out free rubber bracelets supporting gay rights. The young girl refuses and some girl next to her gets up in her face. Like that would happen. It could but I doubt it. She says she stands for what god teaches and he is against Gays. Not in those words but,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7PPAB-048

They also have videos for kids featuring a young girl named Sophia and boy named cabal. In one video Sophia sees a picture at school a fellow student drew with her two mommies. The mother tells the girl that Jehovah does not approve and she can witness to the student.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2VffLez9k

Thank you for posting these video's. Priceless!

Old 11-09-2018, 03:07 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I've seen a few Christian vids showing up gays and atheists in a bad light. Some I suspected might have been Set up. The others, I was sure of it.

But I just watched the first one. well, it's blatant propaganda, and could backfire when those they persuade Not to pick up their gay Support bracelet Don't get treated that way. Maybe as I told the ones at my door.."There are museums full of transitional Forms. Your Elders have lied to you".

The second...well he leaves me with nothing more to say. Well, not that would be considered appropriate, even for atheists, like "These people need to be eradicated for the public good". Because what I Mean is: 'This doctrine and preaching needs to be eradicated for the good of everyone in it as well as everyone else".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-09-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality