Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

There's a very good reason JWs won't ever amount to more than 1% of humanity.

But I would get my wrist slapped for posting it. So, I'll leave it to the 99% with imagination.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 PM

99 posts, read 51,948 times
I know quite a bit about the JWs, fourth generation and left when they changed the meaning of Generation. This history of the group is very interesting. its founder CT Russell had divorced his wife, followed the Millerite movement that said the end of the world would come in 1846. Joe Rutherford took over at Russells death. Russell had said the end of the world would come in 1914, when it did not he changed to 1916 and died that year. Rutherford stook over and gave a talk in Cedar point Ohio in 1921 titled millions now living will never die. The end would com to save them I.E JWs in good standing. It did not. Rutherford even had a 5000 SF mansion built for himself in San Diego. It was the great depression and he had two 16 cyl Caddies and played while it was paid for by the rank and file. He told his followers to not have children in the book he wrote entitled Children because the end was here. He declared Aluminum was the devils metal and immunizations are nothing but horse puss. He even gave a talk to men saying do give up your life for a bag of bones and hank of hair. Personally growing up a JW I was not allowed to hang out with kids from school who were non witnesses. Go to band, sports, or any function. No holidays birth days ect. We were told to go to the five meetings a week and out in service knocking on doors and three assemblies a year. I remember my grandmother telling me she had told her daughter my mother if she ever came home pregnant she was on the street. The thing that got me out was the internet. I could talk to and read things we were not allowed to read in private. You can be disfellowshipped for reading a book that is not approved, watching a movie not approved which are any books critical of the religion, any R movie, smoke, drink and get drunk, have sex and not be married, any sex with same sex partner, military service, taking blood, giving blood, the list is endless. When I was in grade school I took chess club. I was told by my mother and an elder who brought a magazine from the 60s that said gods people would not play this game as it simulates war. I had to give that up. We were told its soon, that Jesus did come in 1914 which they still to this day believe, and all the people of earth who saw the signs, I.E WW1 would be alive to see the end times. Well in 1995 that group was dying off fast. They decided to make a change in the definition, Generation would no mean an over lapping of people born at different times but who live over lapping one another. This was non sense. I threw down the watchtower of 1995 Feb. and said out loud this is it I am done. I lived up north away from the industry of down state. In 1972/73 many JWs moved up north after quitting jobs and Haiphong just enough money to survive to 1975, the date Freddie Franze said the end would come. When it came and went many were left struggling to pick up the pieces. I know people who quit jobs at GM and other good paying jobs that had security at the time. They moved to where the need was great to preach and when 75 went they were destitute. I know many today who live on SS barley getting by. As a JW you are discouraged not to go to collage or higher education. I once attended an assembly, a three to two times a year meeting of regional JWs. They had a play and two boys my age came on stage and one said to the other, I just go into the local collage. What are you doing to be doing this year after school. The other kid said, I am signed up to pioneer , knocking on doors 40 hours a week. The other kid said I need to rethink about going to collage, how are you getting buy for being a pioneer? Not making this up, the kid in the play said, I have a job shoveling potatoes part time and that will leave me time to pioneer. Just insane. They have stopped giving dates but they say very soon. One thing a lot of elder use is the pencil. We are at the tip of the pencil, Armageddon is just around the corner. Seems like a round a bout to me. I could go on for hours of the JW history. I even collect the crazy of the crazy books they put out. Like the finished mystery. It has some real crazy stuff in it.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We're not calling churches cults. Period.

You would feel insulted if we called YOUR church a cult. So does everybody else.
My guess is....his church isn't in the news for that very thing so he wouldn't flinch.

Most churches are not branded as cults which is the topic of this expose on the JW's . Just saying

Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
In 1989, JW's again predicted the end of the world. It was worded as "those in so and so generation would see the end of the system of things" if I recall. The book was titled, How to live forever on earth. I'd like to get a hold of a copy as there would probably be less than 10 people alive today, and it's doubtful any are JW's.
My parents studied with them a while...and back in the 1960's they predicted the end of the world. Many gave away all they had. So sad

Old 11-10-2018, 05:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTWGA View Post
I know quite a bit about the JWs, fourth generation and left when they changed the meaning of Generation. This history of the group is very interesting. its founder CT Russell had divorced his wife, followed the Millerite movement that said the end of the world would come in 1846. Joe Rutherford took over at Russells death. Russell had said the end of the world would come in 1914, when it did not he changed to 1916 and died that year. Rutherford stook over and gave a talk in Cedar point Ohio in 1921 titled millions now living will never die. The end would com to save them I.E JWs in good standing. It did not. Rutherford even had a 5000 SF mansion built for himself in San Diego. It was the great depression and he had two 16 cyl Caddies and played while it was paid for by the rank and file. He told his followers to not have children in the book he wrote entitled Children because the end was here. He declared Aluminum was the devils metal and immunizations are nothing but horse puss. He even gave a talk to men saying do give up your life for a bag of bones and hank of hair. Personally growing up a JW I was not allowed to hang out with kids from school who were non witnesses. Go to band, sports, or any function. No holidays birth days ect. We were told to go to the five meetings a week and out in service knocking on doors and three assemblies a year. I remember my grandmother telling me she had told her daughter my mother if she ever came home pregnant she was on the street. The thing that got me out was the internet. I could talk to and read things we were not allowed to read in private. You can be disfellowshipped for reading a book that is not approved, watching a movie not approved which are any books critical of the religion, any R movie, smoke, drink and get drunk, have sex and not be married, any sex with same sex partner, military service, taking blood, giving blood, the list is endless. When I was in grade school I took chess club. I was told by my mother and an elder who brought a magazine from the 60s that said gods people would not play this game as it simulates war. I had to give that up. We were told its soon, that Jesus did come in 1914 which they still to this day believe, and all the people of earth who saw the signs, I.E WW1 would be alive to see the end times. Well in 1995 that group was dying off fast. They decided to make a change in the definition, Generation would no mean an over lapping of people born at different times but who live over lapping one another. This was non sense. I threw down the watchtower of 1995 Feb. and said out loud this is it I am done. I lived up north away from the industry of down state. In 1972/73 many JWs moved up north after quitting jobs and Haiphong just enough money to survive to 1975, the date Freddie Franze said the end would come. When it came and went many were left struggling to pick up the pieces. I know people who quit jobs at GM and other good paying jobs that had security at the time. They moved to where the need was great to preach and when 75 went they were destitute. I know many today who live on SS barley getting by. As a JW you are discouraged not to go to collage or higher education. I once attended an assembly, a three to two times a year meeting of regional JWs. They had a play and two boys my age came on stage and one said to the other, I just go into the local collage. What are you doing to be doing this year after school. The other kid said, I am signed up to pioneer , knocking on doors 40 hours a week. The other kid said I need to rethink about going to collage, how are you getting buy for being a pioneer? Not making this up, the kid in the play said, I have a job shoveling potatoes part time and that will leave me time to pioneer. Just insane. They have stopped giving dates but they say very soon. One thing a lot of elder use is the pencil. We are at the tip of the pencil, Armageddon is just around the corner. Seems like a round a bout to me. I could go on for hours of the JW history. I even collect the crazy of the crazy books they put out. Like the finished mystery. It has some real crazy stuff in it.
That's a good and informative post, but some paras would make it easier to read. Maybe it's a Texting -thing.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:44 AM

These are copies of Watchtower books and magazines. The yellow one is from the 1984 Watchtower, saying the generation that saw the things they say were a sign of the end times. I.E WW1 or pangs of distress, would be alive to see the end of the system of things. Or Armageddon. The black and white is from the 1964 Truth that leads to eternal life or truth book as they called it. It shows that within one generation all the things leading to and including the end of the system would happen in a single generation.

Now we come to more present day and the time has run out. When I was a kid it was said you had to be of an age of understanding in 1914. In other words you need to know and comprehend what was going on in 1914 to be part of that generation. As time went on they kept changing it so even babies were included. This gave them some time to kick the can down the road.

Fast forward and in 1995 it was clear non of this was working out and that 1914 generation was almost gone. They needed to do something and like While E. Cyote how needed to escape with back against a canyon wall they threw up an Acme instant escape hole, its the new definition of Generation.

We all know there is only one definition of Generation as they uses it but they created a new on. i will post a link to the video where they explain it. Its crazy how they bend them self into a pretzel to try to make this work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejO0Z8m2n-k
Attached Thumbnails
Leah Remini has an expose on Jehovah's Witnesses on Nov 13th.-2.jpg   Leah Remini has an expose on Jehovah's Witnesses on Nov 13th.-hqdefault.jpg   Leah Remini has an expose on Jehovah's Witnesses on Nov 13th.-index.jpg  

Old 11-10-2018, 10:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Very good posts MMTWGA! I can't rep you, but we appear to be two peas in a pod. I am so thankful for my wife and her family. They are extremely supportive and have helped me reclaim my life. Kudos also to Ken Coffman, my high school friend who helped me in my time of need.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 PM

234 posts, read 162,097 times
The watchtower organization is really pushing the 'don't listen to any news reports concerning JW's, or any other shows or internet sites that show JWs in a bad light because they are all apostate material run by Satan' card these days.

When I was a kid growing up in this ....err..."religion", the internet was just coming out. Nowadays, kids can google anything in a moments notice, so I really believe more younger ones will wake up and come to find the truth about "the truth".

Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
The watchtower organization is really pushing the 'don't listen to any news reports concerning JW's, or any other shows or internet sites that show JWs in a bad light because they are all apostate material run by Satan' card these days.

When I was a kid growing up in this ....err..."religion", the internet was just coming out. Nowadays, kids can google anything in a moments notice, so I really believe more younger ones will wake up and come to find the truth about "the truth".
Yes. MMTWGA did a good couple of posts (the 2nd perfectly paragraphed) and while they are still beating off the tightening noose of trials for abuse -accusations, and the Bible is true arguments are under the cosh as much as any other Christian sect, I at least feel that the string of failed predictions probably had dented their credibility more than anything else.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM

I watched this last night. It was very well done. Very emotional. People who have died because of the "religion". Well worth a watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality