Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

Personally I like the JW dogma better than traditional Christianity. They believe that a few people go to heaven, and everyone else is annihilated.

I think it's funny that Van Morrison wrote a song called "Kingdom Hall" about a positive childhood experience of visiting a center with his mom. He just remembers the good music and positive vibes. I see the people as being a lot more positive and pleasant than evangelical Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally I like the JW dogma better than traditional Christianity. They believe that a few people go to heaven, and everyone else is annihilated.

I think it's funny that Van Morrison wrote a song called "Kingdom Hall" about a positive childhood experience of visiting a center with his mom. He just remembers the good music and positive vibes. I see the people as being a lot more positive and pleasant than evangelical Christians.
Maybe in real life, and I've known a couple of JW's through work who seemed nice enough. I've never seen a JW on this forum who posted anything beyond gloating about how they were special and going to heaven while the rest of us are doomed and wrong. Over and over and over again. I bet they come off as positive and pleasant in real life, too.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe in real life, and I've known a couple of JW's through work who seemed nice enough. I've never seen a JW on this forum who posted anything beyond gloating about how they were special and going to heaven while the rest of us are doomed and wrong. Over and over and over again. I bet they come off as positive and pleasant in real life, too.
But I see a lot of Christians being exactly like that, yet even worse because of all the impending judgement for the nonbelievers.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
They do. I've had maybe a half dozen visits and they were all quite nice. (Nice than the one visit i had from Mormons, though it was very informative). They had their spiel of course. There's a Theramin account of a JW visit that is almost a carbon copy of mine. Even to the trainee that sometimes comes along and will look increasingly unsettled as sound points are brushed aside and some new argument is slipped out of the shrink -wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWeHB4qM1Hg

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
But I see a lot of Christians being exactly like that, yet even worse because of all the impending judgement for the nonbelievers.
Oh, I agree. I was just following up on your post that was specifically about JWs.

Although, I don't see a huge advantage to embracing people who think other people should be annihilated over embracing people who think other people should be tossed into hell. Both, of course, believing that God wants this, and everyone else, of course, understanding that it's really the the adherents of these religions who want their particular form of disposal for the Others Who Are Not Like Them.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,126 times
Quote:

It's true, JWs do believe that a few go to heaven based on texts in the Book of Revelation

Everyone else annihilated though? Just to clarify JWs believe in the resurrection but a resurrection that will not only include JWs but other people from all walks of life. A resurrection of many to earth.

But not to mislead anyone JWs aren't quite universalist. Some folks, including myself, personally would want to think that all are eventually "saved." However, Jesus did talk about Gehenna (not Hell) and John wrote about the second death which is the same thing. It's death without resurrection, for some.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I posted a video some time ago explaining the 'two witness' rule and how it was purpose - built to cover up the perpetrator and victimise the complainant.

And there is evidence coming out that for the catholic church it's 'business as usual' and the question is whether the house -cleaning has not been very effective or whether they Claimed there was a house -cleaning but there never was.
The Catholics were coming up with "anti-child abuse" "education" where it was hours of them explaining how some abuse claims can be false and thus on should simply never be alone with or engage physically with a child (no hugs, etc). Some personal stories were added that fellow parents (Catholic and Protestant) can also abuse your children and how the Catholic Church does abuse at around equal rates to the Protestants and Boy Scouts, and other (as such) mingling clubs.

"God's children should not be abused, sure, but stop focusing on us!" was the gist of their "change" message.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Catholics were coming up with "anti-child abuse" "education" where it was hours of them explaining how some abuse claims can be false and thus on should simply never be alone with or engage physically with a child (no hugs, etc). Some personal stories were added that fellow parents (Catholic and Protestant) can also abuse your children and how the Catholic Church does abuse at around equal rates to the Protestants and Boy Scouts, and other (as such) mingling clubs.

"God's children should not be abused, sure, but stop focusing on us!" was the gist of their "change" message.
I can understand the desire to take the heat off themselves and 'draw the line under' and move on. If they really have sorted - not just the abuse - they have a point there- but the in -house cover -up of the abuse. There was a rumble recently, but just that.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM

99 posts, read 51,996 times
To say JWs are good because you went to a hall once with mom is nuts. One could say the same about Jim Jones and the peoples temple from one visit. I have or was a JW for 40 years. What was brought out at on the Leah Remini program was spot on. They did not add things or take anything away it was just the strait truth. The group is very controlling in its not allowing its members to vote, military, higher education its misogynistic attitudes. Then you have all the wrong dates for the end of the world. 1874 1914.16.18.25.41.75.2000 ect. The fact that Jesus supposedly came to earth invisibly in 1914 and saw that the Russellites were the only ones doing it "right" but there is virtually nothing they taught then they still hold to today.

Even though they hold the 1914 date its not the same reason. Russell taught that 14 was the end of the world and then when it passed changed it to 16 and died that year. Now its Jesus threw satan out of heaven and it started WW1 and Jesus saw that the Russellites were doing teaching the truth. LOL. Its a crazy history. From Aluminum is the devils metal to god lives in the Pleiades, and immunizations were horse puss and 1914 date was derived from the measurements of the interior passages of the great pyramids as Jehovah built them.

Even Leah said she knew a couple of JWs and thought they were the nice people who knocked on your door. She had no idea how destructive they were.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:02 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
As an apostate, I felt it did a good job covering the problems I see with the organization. There are an estimated 3000 such groups (not all religious) in operation in the US at any given time. The one man from Croatia that spoke on the show, Lloyd Evans, figured out something was wrong with the Watchtower while watching a documentary on the Westboro Baptist Church and noticing the similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality