Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, allowing is different. He's just calling for a different English phrasing of it. I will disagree and argue with the Pope on many issues, but this really isn't one of them.
But it changes the meaning of the phrase entirely and, in fact, by implication, God's very nature. How dare he do that? So I will argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 01:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, there was Jesus in the desert being tempted by Satan, and presumably God allowed that, but who am I to argue with Pope Francis? Likely (we need our translator), "allowing" is different from "tempting" (in fact, I'm sure it is). More along of lines of not interfering with it -- just as He permits evil on earth when (again presumably), He could theoretically prevent it.
even the poope suggesting anything about changing what Jesus did is a great sign.

pope is a chemist, he gets it. its not about "jesus" for him. Push comes to shove, Its about the memes that Jesus represents. but then again, I like apologetics. it means change what you believe as you learn more. only nikin poops think that a bad thing.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:30 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The sense is perfectly accurate when it comes to the Old Testament, I don't see that the New Testament would change the fact that God created, allows, and controls evil/calamity and controls/directly influences people's wills/emotions although it is not at all accurate when it comes to Zoroastriansim (where no evil is created or maintained or influenced by Ahura Mazda but only by proxy of his free creation of a free arbiter) nor Late Hellenism (where Zeus/Theos was omnipresent, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent).
That's because you don't recognize the paradigm shift that iS the "New Testament." The OT is not "words FROM God," but varied perceptions ABOUT God and our relationship. Jesus gave us a whole new perception and James had it right: God does not tempt us, we and our conditions make them.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:36 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
But it changes the meaning of the phrase entirely and, in fact, by implication, God's very nature. How dare he do that? So I will argue.
He's not changing anything about it. It's what the phrase says in the original language. What he's suggesting is what Jesus said. He's not changing Jesus' words here...he's suggesting we actually more accurately use the words of Jesus. This is no different than a Baptist pastor saying that a particular Bible translation is not the best, but suggesting a BETTER way to more accurately understand the words of the original author is to use a different word or phrase.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:22 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
The same people probably think there would be no evil in the world if there were a benevolent god. Shouldn't we take God at his word? I didn't realize the prayer Jesus left us was up for debate.
Since when did Jesus offer that prayer in English? And why do you believe that God would lead us into temptation. I'm with the Pope on this and I'm pretty sure the leadership of my church would be, too. I believe Jesus was suggesting that we pray to God that we not be led to follow the tempter.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ ὅτι σοῦ ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία καὶ ἡ δύναμις καὶ ἡ δόξα εἰς τοῦς αἰῶνας ἀμήν

"And not (lead / bring) us into into temptation but ... " etc, etc, etc.
For those who missed it...

Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
For those who missed it...
Yeah. If it's in the bible, it must be true.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:38 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Because, of course, Pope Francis knows better than the Lord!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42279427

Biblical scholars, any legitimacy to the claim that it wasn't correctly translated?
Well, Pope Francis gets an opinion, too.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:17 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
Short version: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/luke/11.htm

Long version: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6.htm (verse 9)

Old 11-20-2018, 05:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Harry Diogenes will probably be along. He reads Koine Greek.

Yeshua spoke Aramaic. Greek was hated by local folk there at that time. Even His name was not Jesus. Yeshua. Yeshua Ga-Notsri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality