Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No, that would be like comparing a plane to a bicycle and saying they are the same thing because they both
have moving parts. If the differences far outweigh the similarities then how can you say we are the same?

Music or just repeating sounds that have no bearing on the musical alphabet or melody?
I think that you are missing the analogy. A better one might be insects and fish diverged in the Cambrian, one leading to many species of insects and the other leading to reptiles, birds and mammals - yes, you probably reject all the DNA, morphological and fossil evidence, but this is Our explanation - and thus mechanics diverged through one way leading to Bikes and aircraft (propellers and turbines are wheels) and the other the Jet, via steam to rockets. Whether they are the same or not is a red -herring. That the line of evolution can be seen making a miraculous creation implausible, is what matters.

As to whale song, if you think that it is just random noises without meaning, I think you are not just in denial,but Choosing to burrow into denial. Do you think that Dogs barking and birds singing is conveying no meaning? And Whale song strikes our ears as more in keeping with the song of primitive humans. I saw a fascinating film about first contact with an Amazon tribe. (unless it was brilliant acting ) and their songs were pleasant, hightened speech. More like whale song than like the screeching of Chimps.

What we do isn't remarkable, the way we do it so much better, is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
According to every single atheist I have ever spoken to "humans ARE animals".

I call that dehumanization
How so? Are you suggesting that humans are some sort of higher species? LOL

Show me one animal that exists on this earth that carries the propensity to do the horrific things that humans are capable of.

Show me one animal that you can read about daily opposing their horrific behaviors on their own species as well as towards other animal species. (No I am not talking about other animals that kill to eat for survival)

Show me one animal that has only existed here for 200,000 years and is driving all life on this earth towards extinction.

I wonder if you are the type of human that belittles and abuses other animal species simply because you think they are of less importance than Homo Sapiens.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Objectivity is what separates humans from animals.
Objectivity is a philosophical concept of being true independently from individual subjectivity caused by perception, emotions, or imagination. A proposition is considered to have objective truth when its truth conditions are met without bias caused by a sentient subject.

Scientific objectivity refers to the ability to judge without partiality or external influence, sometimes used synonymously with neutrality.

So you think climate deniers, creationist and religious folks all came to their beliefs objectively?
Quote:
Humans reason. Animals project.
You know nothing about the other animals species if you think this.
Quote:
Humans use directed thinking (speech). Animals dream.
Quote:
Humans know. Animals feel.
Quote:
Humans evolved from fish but humans are not fish.
You know absolutely nothing about human evolution if you think this.
Quote:
Humans evolved from animals but humans are not animals.
You know nothing about human taxonomy or how it's derived to state something like this.

Humans did not evolve directly from fish. The Homo genus originated between two and three million years ago, divided into at least two species, archaic Homo erectus and modern Homo sapiens.

Last edited by Matadora; 12-13-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
According to every single atheist I have ever spoken to "humans ARE animals".

I call that dehumanization
I call a cow an animal. did I de-cow it?

gram, there is a amount of "awe" one gets in figuring out where we fit in this universe. Its quite cool.

we are surrounded by life. we are connected to it from the "deep roots" that form the fabric of space to the chemistry interactions we experience every time we eat, breath, and live.

The interactions are cool, they just aren't a god thingie.

why do you need humans to be more than we are?

Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But by focussing on that gap which is actually development we can trace through evolution, just as we can trace the evolution of birds - which is a league different from other animals - you ignore the many, many common features that show that we are animals, and not something that was just miraculously poofed out of the dust.
Or it is indicative of a Creator using the same blueprint for designing countless creations. Why reinvent the wheel each time?

Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,253 times
Morality is nothing more than the weak appealing to the strong not to kill them.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Or it is indicative of a Creator using the same blueprint for designing countless creations. Why reinvent the wheel each time?
sounds like a copy paste LAZY creator.

Why cant I breath underwater?

Why cant I fly?

Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Show me one animal that you can read about daily opposing their horrific behaviors on their own species as well as towards other animal species. (No I am not talking about other animals that kill to eat for survival)
Ops need to correct.

I meant to say...Show me one animal that you can read about daily imposing their horrific behaviors on their own species as well as towards other animal species. (No I am not talking about other animals that kill to eat for survival)

Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1sXAqxhT1I

Male Hippo Kills Baby Hippo
https://youtu.be/mgkp30UozWs

Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
[youtube] Male Hippo Kills Baby Hippo
https://youtu.be/mgkp30UozWs
Pretty lame in trying to compare a rare event with human horrors that you find occurring every single day...especially the horrific acts committed by the males of our species.

It is believed that hippos sometimes commit infanticide when they are overpopulated or struggling with a form of sickness. The reasons for hippos to commit infanticide remain relatively unknown due to the difficulty of studying the aggressive creatures.

Nature can appear to be very cruel but no where near as cruel as humans!

Now onto the sharks. Shark embryos cannibalize their littermates in the womb, with the largest embryo eating all but one of its siblings.

Now, researchers know why: It's part of a struggle for paternity in utero, where babies of different fathers compete to be born.

The researchers, who detailed their findings in the journal Biology Letters, analyzed shark embryos found in sand tiger sharks (Carcharias taurus) at various stages of gestation and found that the later in pregnancy, the more likely the remaining shark embryos had just one father. That finding suggests the cannibalism seen in these embryos is a competitive strategy by which males try to ensure their paternity.

The behavioural and genetic mating system of the sand tiger shark, Carcharias taurus, an intrauterine cannibal

This should be evidence to all the folks who think evolution is driven by some intelligence or creator. No it's not.

Last edited by Matadora; 12-13-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality