Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Perhaps we should first define what is meant by morality.
That was the first thing I did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
That was the first thing I did
Yes I got that - that is what prompted me to respond to Jeff (in my clumsy way - sorry ).

Old 11-20-2018, 10:09 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Morality has no place if that is your belief. You can spend your life helping the poor with no gain or pleasure or live it up like Hugh Hefner. In the end, both people become worm food, wiped away in the dustbins of time. One could argue that would be foolishness to not spend every moment alive in extremely selfish pursuits since there is no life after death, right?
Jeff, I totally get where you are coming from. I see things from a different perspective and while I would like to lay it all out, that is not one of my strong points. I can lift heavy objects though.

So bear with me. To me, life is about being alive and making the best of our situation and ideally having fun. I'm an atheist as you know but that does not make me unsympathetic dispassionate or whatever. People who know call me a good man, say I am compassionate (I've even been called loving). Having lost a son and having a tendency to blame myself, my lady has told me that she thinks I would have been a good father to my son based on how she observes me treating my cat (the cat adopted me and just moved in ).

I am one who would never deliberately or knowingly harm another person or animal (I'm a nature lover). I always try to help and encourage those that I come in contact with and so on. But then again, I would kill to save myself or a loved one or a child.

But I can understand how you would view life. I don't hold your views and in some instances don't agree with your views. However, I do view you as a real person with valid thoughts and feelings. I find your thoughts a bit odd at times just as you might find mine odd. For instance, I have no concept of a creator god. I just do not accept such an idea as being in any way feasible. You on the other hand would no doubt find my views totally off the grid. I have no 'God' figure. No concept of afterlife with hell or heaven (I don't rule out the possibility of some form of non-physical existence but I do reject the concept of a creator god or a loving god or vengeful god or any kind of god).

This must be the longest post I have ever written so I'll stop right here.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:21 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Because as a social/societal species it benefits is to maintain relationships, utilize individual talents, keep a degree of peace in the clan, and grow our numbers.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Seems kinda odd to me that out of the thousands and thousands of species, we are the only one who developed advanced complex brains. How sad that you rather adopt a depraved viewpoint of humanity as being nothing more than sacks of meat.
You forgot the dolphins and whales.
How sad that you worship a depraved god.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How did you achieve that superior capacity?
It evolved.

Quote:
Aren’t you and all Atheists believe that you guys came from a chimp?
No, only idiots think that.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Morality has no place if that is your belief.
And there goes the fingers in the ears while making assertions.

Quote:
You can spend your life helping the poor with no gain or pleasure or live it up like Hugh Hefner. In the end, both people become worm food, wiped away in the dustbins of time.
I help you now, people then like me, so they help me when I need.

Quote:
One could argue that would be foolishness to not spend every moment alive in extremely selfish pursuits since there is no life after death, right?
One could argue something that stupid, or you could think about it. If I am selfish, why would anyone help me when I need it? They probably would not.
It really is that simple.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
But we are talking about morality. Don’t we?

Hold on !!
Are you saying many animals that have learned to work together for long term survival have develop morality? Which animals you are talking about? Hyenas? Deer? Geese? Monkeys? Lions? Wildebeest?

Seriously. I would like to know what kind of morals have these animals developed just because they have learned to live and work together within their species for long term survival?
Watch a nature film.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Another thing you will notice - Human beings are the only species that is gifted by God with the use of a pen.
We can communicate through writing.
Your assertion is evidence against a god. Why do we need to learn to write, or speak a language? Why do we not have this skill when we are born? Perhaps because it is a man made tool?

Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Truth?
So you know the truth?
That humans are primates, yes. Did you not know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality