Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

More information on him: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ed...zI_cFXiJVIY0w8

The story goes a bit deeper than just some dude that decided to sneak into the area by himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

The story goes a bit deeper than just some dude that decided to sneak into the area by himself.
Is 5 days quarantined sufficient? I sure don't know. I dont agree with the OP about disproving anything and it is unfortunate that he did not heed the warnings the islanders gave. I still think the entire notion that one person gets to decide if an entire group needs to have contact with the outside so that they get a message of Jesus in a language they do not understand. He might as well be bringing a computer and manuals on how to program in s9me computer language.

The real story is that Chau decided his desire was more important than the locals.Wished he had heeded their warnings.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
He was a well-meaning, idiotic, religious zealot. I feel sorry for his family. They are the ones who will reap the world's derision.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is 5 days quarantined sufficient? I sure don't know. I dont agree with the OP about disproving anything and it is unfortunate that he did not heed the warnings the islanders gave. I still think the entire notion that one person gets to decide if an entire group needs to have contact with the outside so that they get a message of Jesus in a language they do not understand. He might as well be bringing a computer and manuals on how to program in s9me computer language.

The real story is that Chau decided his desire was more important than the locals.Wished he had heeded their warnings.

NO, he followed what his convictions were. He did not force his belief on anyone. He peacefully went there, after learning the language, and attempted to contact them.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:

Yes, there's a lot more to the story to hear about, like this was not his first effort to get to the Island, and there was preparation involved. But the basic facts are still the same: he went to the island to do a Christian mission and clearly knew that it was dangerous and he was breaking the local laws. That remains unchanged, unless something unexpected comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

5 days' quarantine wouldn't do anything; he's still have the same pathogens as before. Quarantine is to show that you haven't picked up anything new.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
NO, he followed what his convictions were. He did not force his belief on anyone. He peacefully went there, after learning the language, and attempted to contact them.
So far as i know, nobody knows the language. Surely only some experts and if so they'd want to know why.

And peacefully or not he was indeed going to 'force' his beliefs on them, if he could. That he did not do it is because they wanted neither him, nor his beliefs. And I feel the same way that they do. Though I wouldn't make the point with handy weaponry.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:10 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
How did he learn their language? Does anyone else know it? How do you know how he would of operated once he was on the island for good?

Of course he was going to convert them. Anyone with 21st century knowledge and technology will be magical and godlike to stone age people with almost no contact with the outside world. There was no need for him to deny their right to be left alone. Once he contacted them and started spreading the word there would be no going back to being an untouched group and he decided on his own that they did not have the right to be left to their own. If he was truly peaceful he would not have provoked the islanders. He might not of indented to physically harm them but he was there to destroy their culture, religion and way of life and maybe exterminate the entire population by disease.

I simply do not believe that his convictions were more important that the sake of the islanders. Like it or not he was being very selfish. The only reason you might think otherwise is because it was your religion he was taking with him. The history of missionary work and conversion of natives is not a pretty one. As well he bribed or paid others to commit a crime and put their families in economic peril if the fishermen go to jail.

Just what part of this story is good or happy? Did a single person benefit? Did anyone other than Chau lose?

Old 11-29-2018, 01:26 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
I sure hope your just teasing.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:56 AM

1,517 posts, read 991,678 times
FYI, religious fanatics/hypocrites/wackjobs/whatever you want to call them are kind of a dime a dozen here. My town's also got a church (used to be the local K-mart) pastored by a convicted druggy who, surprise surprise, got the book thrown at him and 5 years for narcoticts smuggling in California, and he recently stepped down for "moral indiscretions". Yeah. The Craplumbian did a big 5-part exposé IIRC earlier this year that really cost him a bit of "credibility" (sarcastic quotes).

I hear there's also a guy somewhere near Battle Ground who sleeps every night tied up to a cross.

Just a little bit of local perspective. Chau's definitely a case study in Darwinism but otherwise not terribly unique.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:59 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
They know the language? Then how have they been isolated and murderous towards all foreigners who are all unwelcome for 3,000 years?
Now I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality