Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You must be delighted to have an excuse to make Christianity the persecuted martyr because some Bible-beating Nosey Parker defied Temporal Law and found that God didn't save him. And Atheists are not allowed to mention anything that shows up how false, arrogant and egotistical Christianity really is. Yes I am sorry..a bit...that the dude got topped, but not a lot as if he'd been prevented for going there he and all Christendom would be screaming persecution, martyrdom and proof that Hinduism is the work of Satan. So getting shot was probably the best thing he could have done.

And you trying to shame us for picking up yet another religious Fail on several levels just shows what a hypocritical, whiney, dishonest bunch you are.

Respectfully.
you are shameful because you would be singing a different tune if it was am atheist going to convert that tribe and they killed him.

I would be singing the same tune. people don't have the right to cross borders to insert themselves into other people's society without given permission to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Definitely. You can go with the argument 303guy does and say God withdrew His protection because John Chau was disobedient but the you have to ask "Why is God saying, "DON'T go into a place to tell the people about my son and his salvation!" That doesn't make any sense if God wants to save all men through Jesus.

Or you can say "Jesus' promise in Mark 16:15-18 is a lie"

and that's getting a little closer to the truth but it still makes a liar out of Jesus, right, because Jesus commands ALL Christians to go into ALL parts of the world?

Or you can come right out and admit Jesus, the son of God never existed so there was no Jesus to rescue this guy.

However Christians choose to go with this thing it's a lose-lose-lose for them. And for Jesus.
Interesting.

So if we look at the reciprocal and say if the missionary was welcomed on the Island, would you have opened a new thread to announce that you are now a believer since it’s a “proof beyond doubt that Jesus is NOT imaginary”

See the bigotry in OP now?

Old 11-24-2018, 07:25 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nope. I think it's tacky and rude and incredibly heartless and uncaring to to gleefully rejoice at a man's death.
There are a few posts I would categorize as heartless, but I think most people here have recognized that it was an unfortunate but preventable situation. Believing in God does not mean we abandon critical thought because "God will save us". There is nothing in the bible even hinting at that. God will bless the obedient and punish the disobedient. This goes for believers and non-believers, although the non-believers will attribute their luck to something other than God...and they will use their misfortune as proof that God doesn't exist. God does not "choose sides". While he has a chosen people, those people are still subject to the rules as everyone else. This is what humans have a hard time grasping, because they are all about favoritism. I can have a friend that I love more than any of my other friends, but if my friend is dead wrong in a situation, I am not going to defend him
Even if it means "siding" with my enemy on a matter. Most people are not willing to do that under any circumstance. They let bias take over. God is not biased.

His family posted a very loving response. IMO, it was a true Christian response. Even they acknowledged that he exercised his free will. They accept what happend and don't want the people who helped him to be punished. You should read it if you haven't. All of us can learn A LOT from their response.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Interesting.

So if we look at the reciprocal and say if the missionary was welcomed on the Island, would you have opened a new thread to announce that you are now a believer since it’s a “proof beyond doubt that Jesus is NOT imaginary”

See the bigotry in OP now?
Don't be silly . Religion claims miracles and divine management. Screw -ups undermine that claim. Secularism is aware of the persuasive powers of missionaries. That it might work on that occasion (as predicted by reason - it didn't) proves nothing. The wrongheadedness you have (I reserve the term Bigotry for well merited occasions - not just to throw at someone who disagrees with me) is pretending that the two mindsets are the same. They are not.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
There are a few posts I would categorize as heartless, but I think most people here have recognized that it was an unfortunate but preventable situation. Believing in God does not mean we abandon critical thought because "God will save us". There is nothing in the bible even hinting at that. God will bless the obedient and punish the disobedient. This goes for believers and non-believers, although the non-believers will attribute their luck to something other than God...and they will use their misfortune as proof that God doesn't exist. God does not "choose sides". While he has a chosen people, those people are still subject to the rules as everyone else. This is what humans have a hard time grasping, because they are all about favoritism. I can have a friend that I love more than any of my other friends, but if my friend is dead wrong in a situation, I am not going to defend him
Even if it means "siding" with my enemy on a matter. Most people are not willing to do that under any circumstance. They let bias take over. God is not biased.

His family posted a very loving response. IMO, it was a true Christian response. Even they acknowledged that he exercised his free will. They accept what happend and don't want the people who helped him to be punished. You should read it if you haven't. All of us can learn A LOT from their response.
That's a pretty good example of shameless damage -limitation, trying to cover up what was a reprehensible action (not the islanders' ) and doing some hasty whitewashing, mealy mouthed excuses for a divine foul -up and trying to wring hypocritical credit for religion out of it, even if not taking a few swipes at the Atheists for not being suitably respectful for this asshat who should have had a UN condemnation to go on his record, not appeals for a minutes' silence for a martyred Saint.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
NOBODY is talking about atheists. You all are some of the most narcissistic people on the planet. It must suck to be such a tortured soul.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
All I see is the thread title, but I can't imagine a more heartless, tacky, idiotic, and just plain obnoxious post. This thread displays a new level of bigotry and hatred by the non-religious toward Christianity.
You sound angry...and bitter, Baptist that Jesus failed his envoy, John Chau. And Jesus did fail him. You know that and I know that and every Christian here knows it in their heart. Jesus cannot save his own people.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You sound angry...and bitter, Baptist that Jesus failed his envoy, John Chau. And Jesus did fail him. You know that and I know that and every Christian here knows it in their heart. Jesus cannot save his own people.
Alas thrill, brave Sir Fundie has put us both on his ignore list. He is done with us. I dunno about you, but it really bummed me out. I guess I can admit that, since I know he will never read it.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Believing in God does not mean we abandon critical thought because "God will save us". There is nothing in the bible even hinting at that.
I disagree, treemoni. Mark 16:15-18 specifically commands Christians to go into all the world and preach the gospel of the kingdom. Jesus promises that all who preach the gospel will be protected from harm.

Quote:
Jesus said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be damned.

In my name they will pick up snakes [and not be harmed]

When they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them
John Chau was only following Jesus' command, as are all Christian missionaries who get slaughtered when Jesus' promise to them fails. John Chau's only mistake was believing Jesus would protect him.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Alas thrill, brave Sir Fundie has put us both on his ignore list. He is done with us. I dunno about you, but it really bummed me out. I guess I can admit that, since I know he will never read it.

That is remarkable, Trout. Did I finally bring Fundie to his knees with the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality