Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
For all anyone knows, they could be Jews....
For all I can tell they don't circumcise. And they eat pork. Hey, maybe they are some kind of Reform Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 06:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes I would on this topic. Because I am opposed to all attempts to convert people to some other religious belief than they already have. In my view it is wrong UNLESS the individual seeks such conversion of his own accord.
This is the Muslim view as well, mostly. With the added idea that they must/will also spread and succeed, and be ready to convert anyone seeking and be as charitable as possible in all the best and proper ways.

False religions need tax-breaks and direct or indirect government support.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No historical references to the existence of Jesus? Actual historians, whether they themselves are believers, consider the Gospels themselves to be the best historical sources for the existence of Jesus.
No they don't...at least not the one that you want to have existed. Only theologians think your Jesus existed.

Quote:
Historians more or less evaluate the historical worth of the New Testament documents as they do any other ancient historic work.
...and all but theologians have found it wanting.
See 'Historical reliability of the Gospels'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

...also...
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed historically,although the quest for the historical Jesus has produced little agreement on the historical reliability of the Gospels and on how closely the Jesus portrayed in the Bible reflects the historical Jesus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

Quote:
''After this Jesus character supposedly lived?'' Almost every scholar who engages in Jesus studies acknowledges that Jesus lived and was crucified by order of Pontius Pilate.
...but they don't think that he was the Jesus of the Gospels. What are you not understanding? The 'Jesus' that these scholars agree existed was more an itinerant rebel rabbi that got himself executed by the Romans for shouting his mouth off. He died and stayed dead. The 'son of God' Jesus that you want to have existed is acknowledged ONLY by theologian scholars who have a vested interest in it being true.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-05-2018 at 01:29 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 02:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
good 'un Raffs, and relieved to see you back. I thought the Madrid Junta had taken you hostage until we returned Gibraltar.
If I remember Mike's style, he will now cite the resurrection as proof that the historical Jesus (which we might concede existed) is the same as the gospel Jesus. And, if we say that we can't rely on the Gospel accounts of the resurrection and cite the monstrous contradictions as a case, he will sidestep that and play 'the disciples would not dies for a lie' card.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is part of why I gave up Christianity and became deist--because it's obvious on its face that God doesn't lift a finger to protect people in this evil world. Christians die at the exact same rate as atheists so being a Christian offers absolutely no benefits in this world, only in the next if you're willing to suspend disbelief and accept on blind faith that in exchange for a lifetime of suffering for Jesus in this life you'll be rewarded with pie in the sky in the next. No, thanks, I decline. Sadly a little too late in this life.
Was there some point in your life when you actually believed and expected that those who follow Christ will never be harmed? What did you think, that all christians died of old age? how naiive you were to end up disillusioned by the fact that faith does not guarantee safety in this life.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Was there some point in your life when you actually believed and expected that those who follow Christ will never be harmed?
What did you think, that all christians died of old age? how naive you were to end up disillusioned by the fact that faith does not guarantee safety in this life.
Good point, duke.
Hmm, Jesus imaginary...sorry Thrill...this is not the best example...this young man's flagrant
stepping into a known hornet's nest.

Might as well jump off a cliff while screaming, ''Jesus save me''...and by-standers saying afterwards,
"Oops, I guess there's no Jesus."

Whatelseyagot?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are you under the illusion that you get an infraction for merely disagreeing with a mod?

As one of the senior mods so succinctly put it, "We are not here to moderate the truth. We are here to moderate the TOS."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That widow had to come from Mensaguy...
Nope. Not me. The Senior Mods are Marka and Yac. I don't remember which I heard it from first. It was many years ago. However, if we were expected to moderate based on the truth, I wouldn't have taken the job. I could probably have been considered a subject matter expert in a few things in my life, but this isn't one of them.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:35 AM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Dead missionary John Chau did more to advance the "Jesus is Imaginary" cause than he will ever realize. His zeal for Jesus took him to a remote island in the Indian Ocean. His first words there were "I love you and Jesus loves you!" and
THUNK!
An arrow hits him and he dies.
So much for Jesus' promise to missionaries:
I guess Jesus forgot to cover things like arrows through the heart.
Jesus did Not forget, but people forget that Mark chapter 16 ends at verse 8.
After verse 8 the style of writing changes showing Mark ends at Mark 16:8.
Both Jerome and Eusebius believed Mark ended at verse 8.
Ancient manuscripts such as the Sinaitic and the Vatican 1209 omit the verses after verse 8.
Before verse 8 there are corresponding cross-references to other Scriptures, which after verse 8 there is Not.
So, the King James Version adding those spurious verses is Not part of the original writings.

Remember: Jesus said to be cautious. seems John Chau was Not being cautious.
I wonder if those natives speak English, or did Chau speak to them in their native language.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:44 AM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Or you can say "Jesus' promise in Mark 16:15-18 is a lie" .
Please see ^ above ^ post # 338, because Jesus' promise between verses 15-18 never existed in Scripture.
Mark 16 ends at verse 8. After verse 8 are spurious verses as put in the King James Version.
What does exist in Scripture is Matthew 24:14 and Acts 1:8 to tell earth's nations about the good news about God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 coming to govern over Earth with Jesus being King and Prince of Peace over Earth for a thousand years.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
good 'un Raffs, and relieved to see you back. I thought the Madrid Junta had taken you hostage until we returned Gibraltar.
It was close old thing. It was only after I threatened to send a gunboat that they released me...damned Johnny Foreigner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality