Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:37 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times

Advertisements

In older days one had to either just believe or question extraordinary claims.
These days, video technology so common as well as easily accessible, I have to go with "see it to believe it"
Any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
These days, video technology so common as well as easily accessible, I have to go with "see it to believe it"
Any takers?
I am a big advocate of seeing is believing. I lived in the Show Me state for awhile.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 AM

Doesn't seem that we're ever offered any such verification for things like walking on water or anything else that can't be rather easily explained.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Any takers?

There is a cartoon -graph showing an increase in miracles, with a huge dip when cameras were invented and a resumption of the increase when Photoshop was invented.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Is that true? I can't stop laughing!!!!
Did you just make that up? You're so clever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is a cartoon -graph showing an increase in miracles, with a huge dip when cameras were
invented and a resumption of the increase when Photoshop was invented.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

The above photo was once widely considered to be a genuine photo of fairies by many people.

Wikipedia
Cottingley Fairies
"The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright (1901–1988) and Frances Griffiths (1907–1986), two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 9. The pictures came to the attention of writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who used them to illustrate an article on fairies he had been commissioned to write for the Christmas 1920 edition of The Strand Magazine. Doyle, as a spiritualist, was enthusiastic about the photographs, and interpreted them as clear and visible evidence of psychic phenomena. Public reaction was mixed; some accepted the images as genuine, others believed that they had been faked."

"In the early 1980s Elsie and Frances admitted that the photographs were faked, using cardboard cutouts of fairies copied from a popular children's book of the time, but Frances maintained that the fifth and final photograph was genuine. The photographs and two of the cameras used are on display in the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford, England."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

That ANYONE believed that this photo was genuine says more about the real desire that many people have to believe in (pardon the pun) fairy tales and make believe.

If this photo was considered convincing in 1917, one can only imagine what a good special effects artist could do with Photoshop.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The 'cleverness' is generally borrowed feathers. Yes, the cartoon (lost when me last computer died) was ...I think it might have been posted on the atheist joke thread. I ruined a keyboard.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

The above photo was once widely considered to be a genuine photo of fairies by many people.

Wikipedia
Cottingley Fairies
"The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright (1901–1988) and Frances Griffiths (1907–1986), two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 9. The pictures came to the attention of writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who used them to illustrate an article on fairies he had been commissioned to write for the Christmas 1920 edition of The Strand Magazine. Doyle, as a spiritualist, was enthusiastic about the photographs, and interpreted them as clear and visible evidence of psychic phenomena. Public reaction was mixed; some accepted the images as genuine, others believed that they had been faked."

"In the early 1980s Elsie and Frances admitted that the photographs were faked, using cardboard cutouts of fairies copied from a popular children's book of the time, but Frances maintained that the fifth and final photograph was genuine. The photographs and two of the cameras used are on display in the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford, England."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

That ANYONE believed that this photo was genuine says more about the real desire that many people have to believe in (pardon the pun) fairy tales and make believe.

If this photo was considered convincing in 1917, one can only imagine what a good special effects artist could do with Photoshop.
Yes. I recall the Bethlehem miracle vid. I might even be able to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyt7FMFXgTI

Check out the creepy music...and the no less creepy, flat, robotic voice saying "This is where Jesus Christ was born" And something about the star and the angels, stuff my old boots. Does anyone find it odd that the priest or monk (after rushing off apparently after seeing a tourist leaving without paying) misses seeing the Apparition though it appears to have gone by the time he turns towards the 'fireplace' where the spirit of the baby Jizzuz appears. And does anyone doubt that the camera. was left running by accident and just happened to point at the holy hearthplace? It looks a bit like it was searching for a clear view of the holy place.

The Fairies which are no more convincing that the photo of Adamski and 'Orthon' peering out of the portholes of a Cigar -ship were believed by Conan Doyle who, if you will believe it, wrote Sherlock Holmes who not only applied the forensic detection - method but formulated the dictum 'When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains must be the truth'. Which has a great following.

In my teens, if you will believe it, these were still being put about as evidence. It was when someone pointed out that in one photo the waterfall was blurred by time exposure, whereas the prancing sprites were as sharp as paper cut -outs, that there was a general debunking of 'spirit photographs' and the like.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-04-2018 at 04:07 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 03:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is a cartoon -graph showing an increase in miracles, with a huge dip when cameras were invented and a resumption of the increase when Photoshop was invented.
I'm not even interested in those kind of miracles. People know when miracles happen. They don't need them to be documented for proof.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not even interested in those kind of miracles. People know when miracles happen. They don't need them to be documented for proof.
They do if they want other people to believe them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality