Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not even interested in those kind of miracles. People know when miracles happen. They don't need them to be documented for proof.
They do if they expect anyone else to accept them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
They do if they want other people to believe them.
Damn. You beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is a cartoon -graph showing an increase in miracles, with a huge dip when cameras were invented and a resumption of the increase when Photoshop was invented.
Hahaha, I like this one.

ETA: I remember the fairy story, pre-Internet. I used to collect a lot of books of trivia and social phenomena and whatnot. Must've been in one of them.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The above photo was once widely considered to be a genuine photo of fairies by many people.
Well, that's just plain silly...fairies are much smaller.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, that's just plain silly...fairies are much smaller.
And they make a buzzing noise.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Yes. I recall the Bethlehem miracle vid. I might even be able to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyt7FMFXgTI

Check out the creepy music...and the no less creepy, flat, robotic voice saying "This is where Jesus Christ was born" And something about the star and the angels, stuff my old boots. Does anyone find it odd that the priest or monk (after rushing off apparently after seeing a tourist leaving without paying) misses seeing the Apparition though it appears to have gone by the time he turns towards the 'fireplace' where the spirit of the baby Jizzuz appears. And does anyone doubt that the camera. was left running by accident and just happened to point at the holy hearthplace? It looks a bit like it was searching for a clear view of the holy place.

The Fairies which are no more convincing that the photo of Adamski and 'Orthon' peering out of the portholes of a Cigar -ship were believed by Conan Doyle who, if you will believe it, wrote Sherlock Holmes who not only applied the forensic detection - method but formulated the dictum 'When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains must be the truth'. Which has a great following.

In my teens, if you will believe it, these were still being put about as evidence. It was when someone pointed out that in one photo the waterfall was blurred by time exposure, whereas the prancing sprites were as sharp as paper cut -outs, that there was a general debunking of 'spirit photographs' and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5x5OXfe9KY

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
And they make a buzzing noise.
Ah, but if you are in a moving vehicle, train, bus...that would be hard to know...also,
to put in a photo...LOL...I'm nit-picking, I know.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Ah, but if you are in a moving vehicle, train, bus...that would be hard to know...also,
to put in a photo...LOL...I'm nit-picking, I know.
Not nits..elves...

Old 12-05-2018, 03:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Do others do similar things...like in India, so, it's not special to Jesus alone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who? Who walks on water and through walls?
I have walked on water. In front of spectators. I am not the only one:

youtube.com/watch?v=ydk0EnUbnjk

youtube.com/watch?v=lLcBs0680Ek

The second link is more impressive and threw me for awhile before learned how to do it myself. Mainly because the magician contrives to have canoes and then a speed boat cross over the water where he had been walking. Which negated a few of the ways I had - at first - thought it was done. At least for awhile.

I am very interested in the psychological effects of things like the Indian Rope Trick however. One of the greatest tricks of all time with many witnesses claiming it to be the most amazing thing they ever saw. Thing is - it does not exist and no one actually did it ever.

The real trick was to manipulate people into thinking - and/or - claiming they they did see it done. And that to me is an infinitely fascinating facet of the human condition. Just like how a few thousand people claim to have been at a Rory Gallagher concert in Cork City Ireland - despite the fact the gig was in a venue that barely held 100 people.

It is amazing how even something as old as the Bible can reveal or example realities about humans even today. Mainly because while "the times" and society have changed much in those 2000 years - humans themselves pretty much haven't.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I have watched those and other videos and the first thing I noticed immediately is that they aren't ON the water but inches under it....first clue that there's trick involved.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Exactly But interesting that every observer called it walking "on" water. If you were to hear about such an event second hand you would hear that the person walked "on" water. That itself is an interesting effect linguistically too. So when we hear that someone 2000 years ago walked "on" water - well did he? Or is that just how people then - just like now - describe the event?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality