Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Exactly But interesting that every observer called it walking "on" water. If you were to hear about such an event second hand you would hear that the person walked "on" water. That itself is an interesting effect linguistically too. So when we hear that someone 2000 years ago walked "on" water - well did he? Or is that just how people then - just like now - describe the event?
I can walk on water !
Only first it has to be frozen solid.
Jesus walking on water, and calming the stormy sea (Mark 6:47-51; Mark 4:39) is showing us Jesus has control over weather phenomenon and water.
Under Christ's coming 1,000-year reign over Earth then planet Earth will be well regulated.
We can read about good conditions to come on Earth at Revelation 22:2 and the 35th chapter of Isaiah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Ah yes that one has been "coming" for awhile now I guess.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Ah yes that one has been "coming" for awhile now I guess.
I don't think one has to guess about ' coming ' for a while now.
People have speculated that for 2,000 plus years.
The clue is that the time is Now at Hand because we see fulfillment of Bible prophecy in our day or time frame.
Never before in history has Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 been fulfilled on such a vast international scale as today.
The good news of God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 has reached even remote areas of the world.
This means we are now at the ' final phase ' of Matthew 28:18-20.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 AM

That is indeed the thing with retrospective prophecy. The more time passes, the more material one has to work with. One can also say - for example - that never before in history has the works of Nostradamus been fulfilled as it is today? Why? Because more things have happened - and hence when playing the game of Prophecy in Retrospect there is more material to fit to the text.

Other than that I guess we can only play a game of "Lets wait and see".

Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
That is indeed the thing with retrospective prophecy. The more time passes, the more material one has to work with............... Because more things have happened - and hence when playing the game of Prophecy in Retrospect there is more material to fit to the text.
I find your ^ above ^ reply to be very interesting because we do have more material and things happening.
Since the Bible is Not written in ABC order as a dictionary is, then with the aid of a comprehensive concordance we can put the Bible in alphabetical order and search or research Scripture by subject or topical order.
This fullfills Daniel's writings found at Daniel 12:4; Daniel 12:9.
Men Not only travel to-and-fro on Earth, but travel, so to speak, by criss-crossing roving through the pages of Scripture.
Scriptural light becomes lighter and brighter with the passing of time as per Proverbs 4:18.
So, bright spiritual light sheds brighter light until Jesus' perfect millennium-long day comes to pass.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Other than that I guess we can only play a game of "Lets wait and see".
To me, it is more 'see than wait'.
Consider even the adjective ' great ' that Luke used at Luke 21:11 in connection to earthquakes.
In Jesus' composite 'sign of events' happening in our day we see ' great earthquakes ' happening as Luke describes.
Modern technology has even made possible rapid Bible translation so that people living even in remote areas can have Scripture in their own mother tongue or native languages as never before in history.
I wonder what is left to see, but as we wait we are all invited to pray the invitation or Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the benefits of Revelation 22:2 to Earth when mankind will see the return of the Genesis "Tree of Life" for the 'healing' of earth's nations.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Makes my point for me in fact that you managed to fit two completely different things - international travel and parsing text - to one very vague sentence. Nostradamus style as I said. That is exactly my point 100%! The text is so vague - after all "many shall run to and fro" can mean so innumerable many things - that it is easy to fit just about anything to it. The more time passes the more real world events and changes occur to play that game.

Take earthquakes for example. They come periodically and they vary in size. So waiting for particularly big ones is not prohpecy so much as merely playing the waiting game on statistics. Eventually bigger than average quakes will happen. That is simply a give. That is what "average" means to be honest. Some will be above the average some below. And the longer you wait the more Quakes there will be - and the more likely it is you can fit some of them to some imagined prophecy. Again - this is prophecy by means of retrospect and not actual prophecy. I am curious at this point in fact to see anything that suggests you know the difference.

You see prophecy being filled in these things perhaps - I just see vague events being fit to even vaguer text like doing a 50 piece jigsaw with 50,000 pieces beside you all of which have no actual picture on them allowing many of them to fit together with ease.

Comical though that following my post of "Ah yes that one has been "coming" for awhile now I guess." that not one hour later I got this link into my Email Inbox from todays new cartoon. Almost prophecy too given we are setting the bar for "prophecy" so egregiously low.

Speaking of definitions - as a point of curiosity only and nothing personal - is English your first language? I only ask because a few ways you write things struck me as odd. And also "I guess" put at the end of a sentence is a common turn phrase that does not actually mean the speaker is "guessing" at all. That you treated it as if it did mean that - kinda made me start thinking maybe English is not your Mothertongue.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Exactly But interesting that every observer called it walking "on" water. If you were to hear about such an event second hand you would hear that the person walked "on" water. That itself is an interesting effect linguistically too. So when we hear that someone 2000 years ago walked "on" water - well did he? Or is that just how people then - just like now - describe the event?
The curious and interesting part of that...God expects people to have faith, do not ask to see proof....but in those days, what did Jesus do to prove to people that he was who he claimed?...He showed them proof!!!

Even the apostles, who were closest to Jesus required proof from him before they fully believed him, for some, this still wasnt enough.

How far would Christianity have spread if Jesus did NOT do a single miracle or supernatural act, what if he just told them to have faith and believe he was who he claimed?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The curious and interesting part of that...God expects people to have faith, do not ask to see proof....
I am not disagreeing, rs , but for discussion.... does God 'expect' really anything ?
Does He 'expect' us to not ask for proof? And as you said Jesus gave tons of proof in his healings, mind reading, and so on.
Proof is very nice, nothing wrong with it.

Case in point..Jesus was just fine showing Thomas His hands. Sure, Jesus said blessed are those that have not seen ....but, I feel hugely more blessed because I have ...and don't have to rely on a blind faith.

If I were to say God 'expected' anything from us...and I do not...I would say He 'wanted' us to be happy and enjoy this life...if we acknowledge Him ...even better....that would please Him.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
what did Jesus do to prove to people that he was who he claimed?...He showed them proof!!!
Sathya Sai Baba also showed "proof" directly to his followers - many of whom were convinced by it. Those of us trained in sleight of hand magic and illusion however watch videos of such things and can see the clumsy but standard magic moves being done. Despite the number of followers he had - he was actually a very clumsy and amateur magician at best. Nothing even _remotely_ at the level of an actual professional magician.

I can go into 5 shops in a row with a 10 euro note and "make" the cashiers 4 out of every 5 times on average give me change of a 50 euro note. I know and understand the tricks to this. People who do not - and come to watch me do it - think I have the power of mind control.

I can "walk on water" as I said earlier. I can pick up news paper and set it alight in fire with what looks like the power of my eyes. I can drive without crashing while wearing a blind fold. I can Yuri Geller a spoon and make it bend and even break in ways that look like I am doing it with the power of only my mind. And much more.

I can do cold reading and "mind reading" in a way that leaves people convinced I have obtained facts about their life I could not possibly know without psychic abilities.

It is amazing what you can do with a little practice. It is amazing what people think you are showing them "proof" of when you do it.

At all times I am honest with people - telling them it a trick, a manipulation, an illusion. And sometimes they _still_ do not believe me and think I have magical powers. Imagine what I might achieve if I was not so honest and I was actually claiming to have powers? What might people think I was proving to them then? What if I dedicated all my time to or went professional at it - rather than just remain a self trained amateur? What might I achieve?

And as I said - often you do not even have to show any such miracles. The Indian Rope trick is a massively interesting story to research if you have the inclination. The real magic about this trick is that no one has actually ever performed it - yet people attest to having seen it done and to how amazing it is. Given the writings of the Bible are not actually contemporary with the events - but were often written long after - this might be more relevant than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality