Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

See? I toldya it'd be fun..
And don't knock Krishna!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 03:53 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Pastor Kenneth Hagin reported that Jesus Christ visited Him about four times , as Jesus came out of the blue and His was there taking to Him were Jesus had ancient Roman sandals on .... Then a Believer called St. Joseph of Cupertino in the 1700s in Italy who in his passion of faith would fly in the air ....... Were Jesus walked on water which would be the same as flying ......

Old 11-26-2018, 04:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Pastor Kenneth Hagin reported that Jesus Christ visited Him about four times , as Jesus came out of the blue and His was there taking to Him were Jesus had ancient Roman sandals on .... Then a Believer called St. Joseph of Cupertino in the 1700s in Italy who in his passion of faith would fly in the air ....... Were Jesus walked on water which would be the same as flying ......
I know 2 women that at 15, up to no good going to friends' to get into trouble - that were stopped dead in their tracks and both had Jesus appear in front of them...changed their lives...one is Mary Baker in her 80s now ...if she is still with us....stands by every second of what happened to her to this day.
I certainly believe every word! ( I like K.Hagin, a lot.)

Old 11-26-2018, 04:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_walking_on_water
Still, some scholars have held the view that while this event took place, it was not miraculous: Albert Schweitzer, for example, suggested that the disciples saw Jesus walking on the shore, but were confused by high wind and darkness; some scholars who accept this "misperception thesis" argue that Mark originally wrote that Jesus walked on the seashore rather than on the shore, and that John had a more accurate version
It really surprised me that someone like Albert Schweitzer would have read the gospels so literally. There are so many precursors to walking on water:
Noah
Parting of the Red Sea
Jonah

There is also a passage in the gospels where Jesus and his disciples walk over a brook. I don't see how anyone can read these stories literally.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:59 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The focus is wrong - that’s the problem.

The more important thing to focus on is actually the MESSAGE of Jesus on how to live a morally conscious and peaceful life where we should practice to be generous and more forgiving towards others.

Whether Jesus walked on water or passed through the walls, doesn’t make much of a difference on how we live our day to day life - but his message will, if we choose to have faith in him.
That's just dumb. How can you have Faith in someone you don't believe existed? Without that, the message is just the opinions of a bunch of people. What's so special about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The message is what is important? So it makes no difference if the rest of the tale is devoted to bull.... um, nonsense? ....
You were right the first time. But at least GoCard seems to accept that the story itself isn't credible and some other excuse has to be fudged up to try to persuade us that it's "Relevant". Overall, it isn't. Not any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I say so because the Bible says so. The Bible settles it, not me.
No, you can't shuffle off the responsibility. YOU have free will to believe it or not. Saying the Buck stops with the Bible is desp...meal...hyp...it isn't vey good, y'know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
What does 1600 years of Islam and the Koran settle then... one wonders? Not to mention 2500 years of Buddhism and 4,000 years of Hinduism.
And doubt and skepticism has lasted even longer despite unending persecution more persistent than Christianity got from Rome or was dished out to Christianity by the Muslims. And here we are - and getting stronger If we don't start Orcrumbles ).

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-26-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:07 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
See? I toldya it'd be fun..
And don't knock Krishna!
Yes, a good time had by all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HspUEjXAU

Old 11-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
2000 years of Christianity exists ONLY because Emperor Constantine by the flip of a coin chose Hesus Kristos as the official god for his Roman Empire. From there the newly emboldened Christians killed, burned and otherwise destroyed anything and everything that differed from their stated beliefs. The rich literature that had been accumulated over the centuries in the Library of Alexandria was burnt to the ground by Christian fanatics.

Hold a knife to anyone's throat and you can make Christians out of them. That's how Christianity stuck around for 2000 years and why you're not worshiping Krishna or Mithra today.
Yes. Apart from a painting over the Post Constantine subversion of the Emperor to the New church while ii set about rubbing out all rival religions, it destroyed the last of the Library. First burned by Julius Caesar (unintentionally) it persisted until the Christian Roman Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwUwjkEveBE

I still say that "Agora" should be a Icon -film for atheism as Hypatia is something of a scientific martyr, and moreover martyred by Christianity. And unlike a Christian Pain in the Ass being treated as a Martyred saint, she only asked to be left alone.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:41 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This touches on the 'Miracle' problem. It's one where i think Atheists may field a false argument. Some of you may have heard my view on this - You cannot dismiss these claims of miracles because "Miracles don't happen". Sure they don't - that's why they're Miracles.

If Jesus was given the power to do magical stuff to show that he was divine, then of course he would do crap that people normally didn't do. He was a one -off.

So 'Miracles don't happen" is not a valid argument (Lordie, what an apologist Theism loses in me). But evidence of fabrication is.
I have to disagree with you on this one.

It goes back to the old saying, "That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

And there's no evidence whatsoever outside of the Bible that any such miracles took place.

Fact is, miracles don't happen. There are mysteries from time to time that we haven't fully explained, but miracles? There is no evidence to speak of that shows that magic, the supernatural, or a divine being is responsible for any so-called miracle.

Until there is good and sufficient evidence, claims of miracles can be immediately dismissed. Otherwise, one would be arguing from ignorance - "We don't know what caused that so it must be a miracle!"

Not only that, but one must sufficiently prove that there is/was a God and is/was a divine Jesus (not just a mortal Jesus) before we can even argue whether he walked on water or not. To argue over whether any of Jesus' miracles were real or not is like arguing over what games some as-of-yet unidentified and undiscovered alien species likes to play. How about we discover the species first and prove that they even exist - or even play games at all?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Well argued. But I feel that this is one where appeal to unknowns can field a point. We don't know that such a thing can be impossible. After all the way the world works is that something does not come from nothing and Life does not come from non-life (which is to say the DNA mechanism that transforms bio -material into life had to come from somewhere). But science argues that this must have happened but cannot prove it.

Similarly to claim miracles without evidence is valueless.

But we have the apparently historical record of the Gospels that such a thing did - just once - happen, and even explains why. Thus, I argue that the historical record itself is not reliable. That does then leave the claim without value, as you say.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No, you can't shuffle off the responsibility. YOU have free will to believe it or not. Saying the Buck stops with the Bible is desp...meal...hyp...it isn't vey good, y'know.
If that's true, why do you keep denying the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality