Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well argued. But I feel that this is one where appeal to unknowns can field a point. We don't know that such a thing can be impossible. After all the way the world works is that something does not come from nothing and Life does not come from non-life (which is to say the DNA mechanism that transforms bio -material into life had to come from somewhere). But science argues that this must have happened but cannot prove it.
That's usually how some define faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Well argued. But I feel that this is one where appeal to unknowns can field a point. We don't know that such a thing can be impossible. After all the way the world works is that something does not come from nothing and Life does not come from non-life (which is to say the DNA mechanism that transforms bio -material into life had to come from somewhere). But science argues that this must have happened but cannot prove it.

Similarly to claim miracles without evidence is valueless.

But we have the apparently historical record of the Gospels that such a thing did - just once - happen, and even explains why. Thus, I argue that the historical record itself is not reliable. That does then leave the claim without value, as you say.
True, but what we do have is a history of unsupportable claims attributed to hundreds of other mystics of all different faiths. There's no reasonable argument in favor of only one of all these being right. More logical would be that either many of the claims are true, in which case these aren't actually miracles but might be done by many people; or else that they're all false. In the case of the latter there IS a supporting history throughout many cultures of embellishing at best, and flat out tell tales at the extreme, on behalf of both historic and mythic figures.

This doesn't constitute solid evidence but putting it all togethet, well...The odds just aren't good that Jesus happened to be the one and only worker of actual bona fide miracles, from among all the possibilities. And if we openheartedly believe the Jesus miracles then why don't we believe miracles of other faiths? Because of where we were born and raised, usually.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Jesus, in all his various aspects, is proof positive that some people believe what they want to believe.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Walking through walls is an easy metaphor to understand. Walking on water isn't coming to me so quickly, though if I give it some thought, I'll find it.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I say so because the Bible says so. The Bible settles it, not me.
The Gospel according to Bapfun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If that's true, why do you keep denying the truth?
Now you are being crafty and dishonest. You may disagree with my conclusions, but to suggest that I have given no valid reasons for my doubts, and to ignore that your beliefs are based on ignoring those doubts, is simply dishonest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
See? I toldya it'd be fun..
And don't knock Krishna!
It's a better thread than I was expecting. And I've always had a soft spot for the little blue -skinned twit.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That's usually how some define faith.
Wrongly. It is defined as a hypothesis. Sometimes with support - like the Higgs -Boson, Black holes or relativity, until science validated it - but not faith. Certainly not the kind of faith that is Faith: believing a hypothesis as reliable true and rejecting, dismissing and ignoring any evidence against it. If evidence turned up in Archaeon rocks that DNA appeared on land and was washed into the sea later on (life appeared in the sea when the land was barren - so says the evidence in the rocks) science would not ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
True, but what we do have is a history of unsupportable claims attributed to hundreds of other mystics of all different faiths. There's no reasonable argument in favor of only one of all these being right. More logical would be that either many of the claims are true, in which case these aren't actually miracles but might be done by many people; or else that they're all false. In the case of the latter there IS a supporting history throughout many cultures of embellishing at best, and flat out tell tales at the extreme, on behalf of both historic and mythic figures.

This doesn't constitute solid evidence but putting it all togethet, well...The odds just aren't good that Jesus happened to be the one and only worker of actual bona fide miracles, from among all the possibilities. And if we openheartedly believe the Jesus miracles then why don't we believe miracles of other faiths? Because of where we were born and raised, usually.
Yes indeed. But then that lots of different Flood legends exist does not of itself mean that they are all false with no historical basis. The Biblical Flood rests on its' own credibility - not that any or all the others are either mythical or based on some real event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Walking through walls is an easy metaphor to understand. Walking on water isn't coming to me so quickly, though if I give it some thought, I'll find it.
That's a good thought, and i won't even try to guess why it was needed. Just to have some miracles, like stilling the storm. Maybe.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
It's a better thread than I was expecting. And I've always had a soft spot for the little blue -skinned twit.
Twit?
A man that manifested himself 12 xs to make love to 12 women you call a twit?
Not.... 'What a guy'? 'Bravo!'

Old 11-27-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Twit?
A man that manifested himself 12 xs to make love to 12 women you call a twit?
Not.... 'What a guy'? 'Bravo!'
I guess it is laughable to some whether they believe it not; it makes good fodder.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I guess it is laughable to some whether they believe it not; it makes good fodder.
Well, it would make me want to visit earth in physical form!
If you're going to use your godly
powers....good way to use 'em...not 'twit' worthy...I call that 'genius'. I mean, dude, come on!

Old 11-27-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Well, it would make me want to visit earth in physical form!
If you're going to use your godly
powers....good way to use 'em...not 'twit' worthy...I call that 'genius'. I mean, dude, come on!
It's too bad Christianity is the only belief system we can do this with. When I first joined the forum I asked why Catholics worshipped Mother Mary and if they really believed in her appearances. Those questions were deemed bashing a faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality