Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:26 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Walking through walls is an easy metaphor to understand. Walking on water isn't coming to me so quickly, though if I give it some thought, I'll find it.
You don't agree with my post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's too bad Christianity is the only belief system we can do this with. When I first joined the forum I asked why Catholics worshipped Mother Mary and if they really believed in her appearances. Those questions were deemed bashing a faith.
I think you need a Basic World Religions brush-up course. In the conversation you quoted, Miss Hepburn was referring to Krishna. That's Hinduism, not Christianity. Nobody ever claimed Jesus had blue skin.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you need a Basic World Religions brush-up course. In the conversation you quoted, Miss Hepburn was referring to Krishna. That's Hinduism, not Christianity. Nobody ever claimed Jesus had blue skin.
Thanks for your public shaming. It's good to be the Queen.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:59 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Thanks for your public shaming. It's good to be the Queen.
Anytime! You may keep your head.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Yes indeed. But then that lots of different Flood legends exist does not of itself mean that they are all false with no historical basis. The Biblical Flood rests on its' own credibility - not that any or all the others are either mythical or based on some real event.

e.
Actually, it suggests that floods exist. They do. Ergo, in this case it is the latter. They are all based on floods.

There is NO evidence that any of these were actually worldwide, though. This aspect is mythical for ALL worldwide-flood myths that have been pinpointed as supposedly having happened at a given time in history or prehistory, and thus far there is no evidence that I he entire population of people, animals, etc. was ever, globally, reduced to a few of pairs. In fact, there is solid evidence against the possibility.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
It's too bad Christianity is the only belief system we can do this with. When I first joined the forum I asked why Catholics worshipped Mother Mary and if they really believed in her appearances. Those questions were deemed bashing a faith.
Entirely untrue. Many times a day here, and countless thousands of times a day around the world, ALL other religions are bashed in comparison to Christianity. They're called false (fake), evil, "in error," they're told their gods don't even exist and that they're " choosing" hell because they're "weak" or "have a selfish/evil/hate-prone nature." Then EVIDENCE is provided for this ( it's outrageous when you think about it) - via "scripture." this isn't just allowed. It's taught. pushed. People even knock on doors to force it into others' homes: YOUR religion is bad, OURS is real, YOURS is " a lie" from an evil creature that wants to kill the world.

If that isn't bashing I don't know what is...and it's not only not covert, it's actually taught, in groups, legally, every single Sunday (and randomly at any other time).

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Twit?
A man that manifested himself 12 xs to make love to 12 women you call a twit?
Not.... 'What a guy'? 'Bravo!'
It's pure jealousy. And I can't play the flute, either.

Quote:
They would be. Faith is (Arqdef) "Personal investment in (1) an hypothesis". Any questioning of that claim or belief is taken Personally.

(1) it is not actually the 'things hoped for or unseen' (though if it is demonstrable, Faith is not needed) - that merely makes the thing believed untenable and thus the reaction to doubt is taken even more personally.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-27-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You don't agree with my post?
I certainly don't. I take the Gospel claim at face value - claims that something really happened. I wonder how many Christians would consider the resurrection metaphorical. Dude was dead; stayed dead. Resurrection was a metaphor of ...belief in Jesus being some role model or something. I don;t buy that and i don't buy any of the Jesus -stories as being metaphorical.

Which isn't to say that their being invented (I believe that, allright) was to make a teaching point. Very often Polemic. The netful of fish has symbolism. The shekel -eating fish is about Christians not being obligated to pay the temple -tax (which Jews collected even after the destruction of the Temple), and Sinking Simon (like the accusation of speaking as men speak, not as God) is this odd attitude towards Cephas - that he was somehow lacking in Faith and letting Jesus down. And at a time when I am sure they hadn't actually got Paul's letters and didn't know about the row over sitting with gentiles. Though Christianity had clearly been talking about Paul's mission and the part that the apostles played in it.

What can one expect when Jesus - story screenplay is built on OT passages presented as 'Prophecy'? Like the spear -stab, or Judas throwing the silver into the Temple.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:37 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Some have said none of that was real.
Do you think he did that? Do you think it's possible?
If it was a metaphor, it had to be a metaphor for something. Since a metaphor is something that represents or symbolizes something else, it would be useless if we were unable to identify that which it represented.

Quote:
Could man follow his example and simply advance enough to do such things?
I believe so, but not in this life. I see it as being possible at some point during our post-mortal existence in the world to come.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, it suggests that floods exist. They do. Ergo, in this case it is the latter. They are all based on floods.

There is NO evidence that any of these were actually worldwide, though. This aspect is mythical for ALL worldwide-flood myths that have been pinpointed as supposedly having happened at a given time in history or prehistory, and thus far there is no evidence that I he entire population of people, animals, etc. was ever, globally, reduced to a few of pairs. In fact, there is solid evidence against the possibility.
I totally agree all that. But if you think about it, your argument is based on scientific evaluation of whether any such global flood is supported by the geological evidence or not - not by the argument that 'Global floods do not happen, therefore the Noachian flood is a myth' (though that prima facie, that might sound like a good reason). The evidence, not the rejection of things that Do Not Happen is the Real reason why Jesus' miracles should be rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality