Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I certainly don't. I take the Gospel claim at face value - claims that something really happened. I wonder how many Christians would consider the resurrection metaphorical. Dude was dead; stayed dead. Resurrection was a metaphor of ...belief in Jesus being some role model or something. I don;t buy that and i don't buy any of the Jesus -stories as being metaphorical.

Which isn't to say that their being invented (I believe that, allright) was to make a teaching point. Very often Polemic. The netful of fish has symbolism. The shekel -eating fish is about Christians not being obligated to pay the temple -tax (which Jews collected even after the destruction of the Temple), and Sinking Simon (like the accusation of speaking as men speak, not as God) is this odd attitude towards Cephas - that he was somehow lacking in Faith and letting Jesus down. And at a time when I am sure they hadn't actually got Paul's letters and didn't know about the row over sitting with gentiles. Though Christianity had clearly been talking about Paul's mission and the part that the apostles played in it.

What can one expect when Jesus - story screenplay is built on OT passages presented as 'Prophecy'? Like the spear -stab, or Judas throwing the silver into the Temple.
Trans, you have some interesting ideas. But I could never take you seriously as a Bible scholar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
I certainly don't. I take the Gospel claim at face value - claims that something really happened. I wonder how many Christians would consider the resurrection metaphorical. Dude was dead; stayed dead. Resurrection was a metaphor of ...belief in Jesus being some role model or something. I don;t buy that and i don't buy any of the Jesus -stories as being metaphorical.

Which isn't to say that their being invented (I believe that, allright) was to make a teaching point. Very often Polemic. The netful of fish has symbolism. The shekel -eating fish is about Christians not being obligated to pay the temple -tax (which Jews collected even after the destruction of the Temple), and Sinking Simon (like the accusation of speaking as men speak, not as God) is this odd attitude towards Cephas - that he was somehow lacking in Faith and letting Jesus down. And at a time when I am sure they hadn't actually got Paul's letters and didn't know about the row over sitting with gentiles. Though Christianity had clearly been talking about Paul's mission and the part that the apostles played in it.

What can one expect when Jesus - story screenplay is built on OT passages presented as 'Prophecy'? Like the spear -stab, or Judas throwing the silver into the Temple.
lmao, just like I thought. you and fundy's take the bible literally. lmao, its the way way you can navigate this world, with your little comfy blankie. brain age. some brains just stop maturing. often at an event that one never gets over.

again, regulars get caught in a war between literally true and literally false. neither really useful in the end but as cannon fodder.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Trans, you have some interesting ideas. But I could never take you seriously as a Bible scholar.
Who does? But I would like to get my Pet Theory Out There sometime. Because it happens to be right, that's if evidence and logic counts for anything.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Who does? But I would like to get my Pet Theory Out There sometime. Because it happens to be right, that's if evidence and logic counts for anything.
lmao, until evidence and logic put your claim of "deny everything" as less valid that is. You, like the fundy theist had to shun a more valid claim. Yours, like the fundy theist, world view is less valid and why your sect of atheism will always be out numbered by those that believe something.

Its that way precisely because evidence and logic do not support your base claims.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If it was a metaphor, it had to be a metaphor for something. Since a metaphor is something that represents or symbolizes something else, it would be useless if we were unable to identify that which it represented.

I believe so, but not in this life. I see it as being possible at some point during our post-mortal existence in the world to come.
But it's easy and kind of obvious. Throughout time the gods have been said to fly, float, rise to the sky, etc. The stories are meant to prove that the being is immortal, a god, because it can do impossible things, and specifically, the flying, levitating, etc. thing is an old classic. In this story somebody kicked it up a notch with the hero being above water, but that's like a magician making an elephant appear instead of a rabbit. Same magic trick with a twist to attempt to prove it's different somehow, this time.

Now, metaphors. In a pragmatic way the story shows the being (in this case, Jesus) can do something no human can do; in a metaphorical way it shows that the being is "higher than" humans, although frankly, I kind of think you have to be pretty high to believe it in the first place. JMO.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Now, metaphors. In a pragmatic way the story shows the being (in this case, Jesus) can do something
no human can do; in a metaphorical way it shows that the being is "higher than" humans,
although frankly, I kind of think you have to be pretty high to believe it in the first place. JMO.
Disagree, my friend....Jesus was showing humans COULD do the same stuff....so in other
words, "Wake up and realize who you are, kids! Come up an smell the roses as I am!"
Sure, he was also doing stuff to get people's attention...signs and wonders are very cool.
Oh, and thank you.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:13 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I think a metaphor for walking on water could be several things. The obvious is that Jesus could manipulate the laws of nature, but I think it was supposed to be more. The disciples are in the boat, and they are scared in the storm and Christ is telling them to focus on him and not be afraid. There's an obvious metaphor in there with "storm" as a common metaphor for difficulties in life.

My favorite metaphor came from a fellow member of the theological study course I took through the Episcopal Church. She saw the "Jesus Feeding The Five Thousand" story as an illustration of the multiplication of love and compassion as it passes from one to another to another to another.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:17 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So does 2000 years of Christianity. And the Bible itself.
So, it is settled that Buddha and Mohamed were divine beings who also performed miracles. Because their religious books say so.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think a metaphor for walking on water could be several things. The obvious is that Jesus could manipulate the laws of nature, but I think it was supposed to be more. The disciples are in the boat, and they are scared in the storm and Christ is telling them to focus on him and not be afraid. There's an obvious metaphor in there with "storm" as a common metaphor for difficulties in life.

My favorite metaphor came from a fellow member of the theological study course I took through the Episcopal Church. She saw the "Jesus Feeding The Five Thousand" story as an illustration of the multiplication of love and compassion as it passes from one to another to another to another.
I find that quite convincing. The metaphorical aspect applied to how it was for the Christians of the 2nd c seems likely. I shall keep that in mind. We al know that many of these sayings have a teaching point. Pretty obvious. But that there could be a metaphorical teaching -point in his actions didn't get into my literal head so much.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Disagree, my friend....Jesus was showing humans COULD do the same stuff....so in other
words, "Wake up and realize who you are, kids! Come up an smell the roses as I am!"
Sure, he was also doing stuff to get people's attention...signs and wonders are very cool.
Oh, and thank you.
Who? Who walks on water and through walls? Who comes alive after being dead for three days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality