Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And dreams are real to some.
There are good dreams to have. And the reason Jesus is so popular is because of the truth behind his miracles. I think that atheists have the same dream for ending hunger and have the same belief that it can be ended with social justice.

Can't people understand that religious and atheist goals are the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Uh, no, LOL. As you show by quoting me above, I was making a distinction between the two, even stating which was pragmatic and which was metaphorical. ("Prove" was one strong hint to this, if you missed it. Feel free to re-read.)
Okay, having read your comments a second time, I sort of see what you were getting at. Sort of.

Quote:
You also need to drop the quotation marks at the end of the second paragraph you wrote...at least of you want to qualify as someone who can (and should) correct another's grammar.
Actually, I should just have proof-read my post. Had I done so, I'd have started it with a quote (since it was a direct copy and paste from Webster), and left the quote there at the end. I should probably have changed the quotes around "you're a peach" to be single quotes instead. I plead lazy, though, not ignorant.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:25 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Walking through walls is an easy metaphor to understand. Walking on water isn't coming to me so quickly, though if I give it some thought, I'll find it.
Perhaps because it is not a metaphor, it is probably a rewrite of Moses and Joshua dividing the red sea and the Jordan. Jesus in this story is the new, improved Moses, the new, improved Joshua.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There are good dreams to have. And the reason Jesus is so popular is because of the truth behind his miracles. I think that atheists have the same dream for ending hunger and have the same belief that it can be ended with social justice.

Can't people understand that religious and atheist goals are the same?
What 'Truth' behind his miracles? Nothing that can help us today, is my view. And the realisation of dreams is more likely to be achieved through reason and science (and, yes, I know, science advance has been excellent, but reason not so much). We have the same dream, but we think that your proposals for realising them are the wrong ones.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think a metaphor for walking on water could be several things. The obvious is that Jesus could manipulate the laws of nature, but I think it was supposed to be more. The disciples are in the boat, and they are scared in the storm and Christ is telling them to focus on him and not be afraid. There's an obvious metaphor in there with "storm" as a common metaphor for difficulties in life.
But then we get the question, why was Jesus walking past them in the original gospel, Mark? Did that have some meaning? The closest I can see is that part of the story is taken from Job 9:8-11, where God walks on water and goes by unseen.

He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea. He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. When he passes me, I cannot see him;when he goes by, I cannot perceive him.

Perhaps it is a metaphor for Jesus being the son of God as Paul says he is.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
This is such a great point, but OTOH, there's literal magic thrown in there. So it's not just lending a helping hand that's the full point of the story, IMO. In the story Jesus walks on water, stops the storm mystically, apparently just by his stepping onto the boat, then walks Peter on top of water. He doesn't steer the boat safely to shore or something in any non-metaphysical way.
They go to shore in the original Mark. Peter walking on the water is from the later Matthew. Another metaphor about believers.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
So what you're saying is that we can do these things and we don't need Jesus to do them, and anyone of any religion can do them (I am assuming the yogis you read about weren't Christian), hence, Christianity is defunct. Since the entire premise is that we NEED Jesus. Otherwise it's no different from Hindus doing magic?
I'm not aware that Hindus do magic. I also don't know of any Hindus that don't respect or hold Jesus
as QUITE special...each one would be different in their feelings, so...but, I know what many write about Jesus. Oh my, they love him.

We were born with God-given 'powers'....all of us are creating our own little reality. right now...
As a man thinketh, remember...James Allen said in 1903: "A man is literally what he thinks,
his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts."
(In other words ,this is not some new agey thing or something I made up...this truth has been around forever!)

Can an atheist walk on water, of course...can an atheist become a billionaire, of course, why not?
The sun shines on the criminal and the saint.
The right mind, the right understanding, the right beliefs, a lack of self imposed-limitations....
you can go to the moon.
Oh, what they are discovering with quantum physics.

Jesus knew about atoms and what was what ... now it's our time to use our minds and will
to do amazing things...I have for decades.
Believe and receive...simple formula.

There is no magic, my friend....it's just you don't know how they did it!
Jesus knew this place was an illusion and could effect atoms easily....he knew just exactly the power a thought had on matter. Ha, as if there is matter...matter doesn't exist....frozen energy... slowed down light.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
This thread is about walking through walls and/or on water. Discussions about grammar and punctuation are for the Writing forum. Trust me, the Mighty Queen herself has had to learn to let such things go in years of posting on this forum.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. He did it. No...we cannot do the same, because we're not God.
Well, when Jesus walked on water during the storm, he told Peter he could do the same thing, if he had faith and Peter DID walk on water (for a short time), but he still did it.

I think we are capable of this and MUCH more, but unfortunately we do not yet know how to use or access this part of our body/mind.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, when Jesus walked on water during the storm, he told Peter he could do the same thing, if he had faith and Peter DID walk on water (for a short time), but he still did it.
I think we are capable of this and MUCH more, but unfortunately we do not yet know how to use or access this part of our body/mind.
We're gettin' there!
BF, Peter wasn't 'God'...It's not just Jesus that can do what we define as miracles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality