Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 03:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Only because you pretend disagreement is a synonym of condescension. If someone does not agree with you you simply pretend they are attacking you or condescending you or whatever other narrative allows you to pretend to be persecuted. No one other than yourself appears to be buying that nonsense however. But if pretending it anyway makes _you_ feel better - have t it.
There is no pretending. You can disagree and not be rude and insulting about it. Look at some of your past quotes. These are your EXACT words:

Quote:

No you were laughed at - and rightly so
Quote:

More of your navel gazing without matching it to reality

It's little snide comments like that which come off incredible condescending and arrogant. And completely uncalled for. You will never change my mind when you come at me like that. Rather, you only reinforce my negative perceptions of atheists.

Quote:

Even words like "hissy fit" when I did nothing but point out a statistical consistency without any emotion at all shows your agenda is to create narratives about other people, their thoughts, their feelings and their actions that simply allows you to fantasise negatives about them that simply do not apply.

The simple fact is - I repeat it again - that your main MO is to ignore and dodge significantly more of my posts than you reply to. Simple as that.
No, you complained right off the bat making the false claim that I ignore your posts. Then when I take a good bit of my valuable time to address your lengthy post, you are still rude and you follow up with an even more monstrous reply. I don't have the time or energy to go over it all now.

Quote:

You can keep telling yourself that but I have yet to meet a single Christian in real life or on this forum who espouses the thing you do _or_ the way you do - outside of my experiences with very vocal minority groups such as Westboro. I have met 100s of Christians in my life on this planet and you are representative of so very very few of them.

This is the typical isolation tactic. Trying to make it seem like I am the only Christian on the planet with these viewpoints. I'm not. I don't care if you've met hundreds of Christians. I've met hundreds too who share my beliefs in God's Word. Not to mention it is simply intellectually dishonesty to even remotely claim that you know a person's character when you don't know anything about my personal life or experiences.

Quote:

I have no idea what "love" looks like in your word but in my world the "You people" and "your camp" and "messed up atheist world" - us against them narratives you steep almost every one of your posts in simply does not overlap with it whatsoever. Your abject and on going hatred for such people drips off every one of your posts and if you internally call that "Love" well then I can do little more than tell you that whatever way you are defining "love" is significantly different to how I or anyone I have ever met does.

Again, I can separate an internet forum from reality. You are nothing but a nickname to me, another voice vomiting vitriol against my faith. The only thing I hate is lies and sin. I don't hold hatred for people especially ones I don't even know personally. Again, you direct the conversation away from the topic into a character attack. LAME and PATHETIC. I will call you out on it every time. Stick to the topic with is suicide rate, not whether you think Jeffbase is a sorry human being.

Quote:

It would be if most of it was not simply invented in your head. For example the "must get the last word in" nonsense you just spewed out here in reality is nothing more than this being a _discussion forum_ and when you talk to people in a _discussion_ they tend to respond. So you are taking a perfectly normal tenet of conversation and twisting it and spinning it into something negative in your imagination. Yet somehow when I reply to your post it is "have to get the last word in" but when you reply to mine as you have - and as we both know you are now going to do again - it is somehow not? One rule for you - one rule for everyone else - it would seem.
Nope, I only speak the truth. In EVERY thread I participated, I had to be the mature one to walk away first, most recently the homosexuality thread. I walked away while your side continue to talk trash. Atheists always get the last word in.

Quote:

Except no you are not - because the view point you are "sharing" is one you have put on top of the study of your own invention. It is nowhere contained in the study itself. Go back and check if you do not believe me. It simply is not there. All the study does is show a correlation. It nowhere in any sentence anywhere makes a value judgement - or a causal claim - based on that correlation. _You_ do that. No one else.

The studies concluded that non-religious people commit suicide more than religious. Again, you make it about me when in reality if the studies are bogus then the blame should be at the ones who spent money conducting such research without accounting for all the variables.

Quote:

The existence of a relationship specifically between suicide and religion has been well-documented in numerous reviews. Most studies reveal that increased religiosity protects against suicide.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482518/

Do I need to keep providing evidence that you will continue to reject?

Quote:

All the study showed - all that study can show - is that if you seperate the groups into religious and atheist - there is slightly higher rate in the atheist group than the theist group. That is all. No more. No less. It does not claim to explain that statistic. It does not claim to offer a value judgement about it. Nothing.
Then you have to admit that at least opens the possibility that an increase in atheism will result in an increase in suicide. I firmly believe this is what is happening. Secularism and turning away from God is rotting out the heart of humanity leaving a coldness behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 03:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I would imagine an atheist living with chronic pain might consider suicide. What's the point of going on, suffering to become worm food on a future day? Christians have the hope of physical healing and eternal pain free life.
Then why would Christians take pain medication? I know a few atheists who refuse pain medication.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:32 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Momentus, you're obviously a very smart cookie. Your grammar, punctuation, and writing skills bespeak a person of significant intellect and erudition.

My husband had an IQ north of 180, and he possessed an eidectic memory. He'd read the Bible in the 1980s and could quote it chapter and verse - literally.

And he was an atheist.

Despite having read the Bible, he never understood its message of grace and love. And he was a miserable man who died a miserable death and left behind a massive wake of trauma, despair, misery and pain. Despite his professional accomplishments, I'd say that, on a personal level, he damaged or hurt almost everyone who loved him.

If the Bible's message brings comfort and peace to its adherents, how is it harming you? Why are you so invested in talking people out of something that lifts their spirits and lightens their burdens?

Here in Southeastern Virginia, when you go crabbing in the estuaries around the Elizabeth River, you have to keep at least two crabs in the bucket. If there's just one crab, he'll find a way to scamper up the sides and crawl out. If there's a second crab, he'll grab aholt of that first crab and pull him back into the bottom of the bucket.

You remind me of that second crab.

What's the difference between an atheist sharing how they came to their conclusions and a believer? I think believers can be more annoying about it (not you..I won't mention anyone particular such as BaptistFundie LOL) because they present their conclusions as divine and everlasting. There seem to be a few posters lately trying to present the case that it works so leave it alone. That doesn't make it accurate. It doesn't work for everyone anyway. Try googling spiritual abuse. Atheists that argue from the point of logic have helped me.

No one can be talked out of something unless they are first willing anyway.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:48 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Then why would Christians take pain medication? I know a few atheists who refuse pain medication.
Guess Jeff also missed the cases of people living in Catholic senior homes applying for doctor assisted suicides.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
jeff shoots himself in the foot with some degree of regularity but I knew from the OP he was using a 12 gauge this time.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 PM

62 posts, read 33,496 times
Quote:
There is no pretending. You can disagree and not be rude and insulting about it. Look at some of your past quotes. These are your EXACT words:
Quote:
No you were laughed at - and rightly so

More of your navel gazing without matching it to reality
You must have had to dig real deep to find some outrage in those comments.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Guess Jeff also missed the cases of people living in Catholic senior homes applying for doctor assisted suicides.
Not to mention, again, that Protestants commit suicide at higher rates than Catholics.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
jeff keeps trying to find people who are sadder, more negative about life, than he is. He figured atheists had to fit that bill.

He figured, and keeps on figuring, wrong.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:

It's little snide comments like that which come off incredible condescending and arrogant. And completely uncalled for. You will never change my mind when you come at me like that. Rather, you only reinforce my negative perceptions of atheists.

No, you complained right off the bat making the false claim that I ignore your posts. Then when I take a good bit of my valuable time to address your lengthy post, you are still rude and you follow up with an even more monstrous reply. I don't have the time or energy to go over it all now.

This is the typical isolation tactic. Trying to make it seem like I am the only Christian on the planet with these viewpoints. I'm not. I don't care if you've met hundreds of Christians. I've met hundreds too who share my beliefs in God's Word. Not to mention it is simply intellectually dishonesty to even remotely claim that you know a person's character when you don't know anything about my personal life or experiences.

Again, I can separate an internet forum from reality. You are nothing but a nickname to me, another voice vomiting vitriol against my faith. The only thing I hate is lies and sin. I don't hold hatred for people especially ones I don't even know personally. Again, you direct the conversation away from the topic into a character attack. LAME and PATHETIC. I will call you out on it every time. Stick to the topic with is suicide rate, not whether you think Jeffbase is a sorry human being.

Nope, I only speak the truth. In EVERY thread I participated, I had to be the mature one to walk away first, most recently the homosexuality thread. I walked away while your side continue to talk trash. Atheists always get the last word in.

The studies concluded that non-religious people commit suicide more than religious. Again, you make it about me when in reality if the studies are bogus then the blame should be at the ones who spent money conducting such research without accounting for all the variables.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482518/

Do I need to keep providing evidence that you will continue to reject?

Then you have to admit that at least opens the possibility that an increase in atheism will result in an increase in suicide. I firmly believe this is what is happening. Secularism and turning away from God is rotting out the heart of humanity leaving a coldness behind.

Aside the dwelling on taking it personally, which, whether you are justified in feeling that you have been criticised unfairly, says nothing about the validity of your correlating increased atheism (or at least irreligion) with suicide, and far less about whether that is in itself a reaason not to be atheist (which is surely what you are getting at).

From the last paper to linked:
In our meta-analysis, an overall significant protective relationship was found between religiosity and suicide completion. Upon exploration of certain sub-groups, this same relationship was found to be significant among studies that took place in western cultures, that studied an older population, and that was conducted in an area that was religiously homogenous.

In part, our results were unsurprising since many previous studies and reviews have documented religion to be protective against related ailments such as depression [39] and beneficial to health outcomes in general [5, 12, 40]. The possible mechanisms are numerous and include religious coping mechanisms during times of stress [41–44], social supports through religious communities [45, 46], or even specific teachings and behaviors for a given religion such as altruism and charity or abstaining from excessive alcohol consumption [43, 47]. What this meta-analysis uniquely adds however is observations across different contexts through the sub-analyses.

This points up the argument that Monumentus made - that Christians may feel as suicidal as the non -religious but the stigma against suicide may prevent it. There is also the presence of community support, which irreligion may not be able to count on. But that could be (and that is often heard from the deconvert) that the support is with -held from people who are not religious. Thus it can be argued that the prejudices of the religious community to the non -religion is partly or substantially the reason for the increased suicide rate - not the despair and lack of meaning in the atheist life that you argued was the reason for the symptom.

Succinctly, you have been too over -eager to leap to conclusions about the reason for these figures and have been too prone to reject as dismissive and biased any question about those conclusions and have donned the martyrs hat to try to make that reaction stick.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
I would imagine an atheist living with chronic pain might consider suicide. What's the point of going on, suffering to become worm food on a future day? Christians have the hope of physical healing and eternal pain free life.
Physical healing lol, so you are the one with the power of the Holy spirit?

Where were you when my sister died?

Jerusalem was a very small place with very few Christians and these Christians went from town to town healing every single person and no matter what they asked from God, they recieved.

We aren't speaking of a hundred people, not even 50 people, not even 30 people and yet they raised the dead.

Now here you are with a BILLION freaking Christians all claiming that they have the power of the Holy spirit and NOT ONE can do a single thing a handfull of disciples did when they had the holy spirit.......

Do you see the numbers?

One would think that out of a billion people, at least one would have the power of the Holy spirit, can you even name one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality