Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 02:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I too have this idea, that Jeff is not doing the research himself, but is just finding these links on Christian web sites. I see this often with creationists, or from those who want to believe the shroud of Turin is genuine. They will link to papers they have not read, whether they support their arguments or not.
I think you're right. I at first credited Jeff with thinking he had found some decent evidence for atheism being bad for society (which doesn't meant it's wrong) but it wouldn't be the first time some "scientific" evidence debunking atheism was posted and it simply didn't say what was claimed. We saw that with John Chau and the claim that he went to some university library to study the Sentinelese language. That was impossible, as it isn't understood. But the claim was picked up and repeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Satan, check.

Cancer does not exist and slavery is OK, check.

Ignore the evidence that religions are ALL man made constructs, check.

More misrepresentation, check.
Plus projection.

Ignorance of Christianity, wow, that was a new one for me.
Neatly done, though it wasn't that hard. Faith -claims about 'I have seen God working in my Life' - one of the oldest kinds of self -delusion in the book. Unvalidated possibilities presented as hard fact. Just a string of demonstrably invalid faith -claims.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:56 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
I too have this idea, that Jeff is not doing the research himself, but is just finding these links on Christian web sites. I see this often with creationists, or from those who want to believe the shroud of Turin is genuine. They will link to papers they have not read, whether they support their arguments or not.
Jeff's just following the rules.

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]

Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 PM

Absolutely. Putting Faith ahead of scientifically validated information is what it is always about. But a factor not to be forgotten, is Culthink (as i call it) where religion, like alternative history and UFO's Bigfoot etc, longs to have scientific validation, and are frustrated with science when it will not stamp "Scientifically proven" on what seems convincing evidence to them, like "I have a strong inner conviction that this is true".

Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Atheism is death and misery. I spent 14 years as an atheist, after losing my faith. I am eternally grateful that the Lord snatched me back! And, yes, He DID find me. Not vice versa. The Lord found me when I wasn't looking. But now that I hear the Lord's unmistakable calls, I offer myself to Him and accept the gracious gift of eternal life that's been offered to me!

I beg God never to let me return to that dark and awful place that is atheism. Never again do I want to be separated from God. Because I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior at age 12 or 13, God never really left me. But I see how He put enormous effort into bringing me back into Fellowship with Him.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
What?

You know that, if the suicide rate is now the same as it was fifty years ago, then it was that high fifty years ago. You know, when there were a lot fewer atheists.

So, ummm, kind of a logic blip.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
An alarming trend was revealed yesterday. Despite medical advances and lower deaths by heart disease and cancer, the US life expectancy dropped after years and years of going up. Suicide is a big part of the problem, and the suicide rate has now hit a 50 year high.

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/us-s...xpectancy.html

This is the world atheism and secularism as created. More division, more hopeless, more conflict, less tolerance and less empathy. People have bought into the lie that there is no God, and no purpose to live. We are merely souless flesh and bone here to consume resources then die and rot. The vast majority of us will be completely forgotten from the next generations that get their turn at living.

And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi...jp.161.12.2303

That's the bed you made, so now you can get to lie in it. It is just sad that atheists dedicate so much time out of the few short decades we get in life into tearing down an institution that gives hope and healing to the masses.
Hmmm
So what does it mean?
If an Atheist friend of ours doesn’t log in for a few weeks, would that mean something significant happened to him, God forbids?

TRANSPONDER - make sure you log in after every few days - don’t wanna miss you ol’ boy!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Atheism is death and misery. I spent 14 years as an atheist, after losing my faith. I am eternally grateful that the Lord snatched me back! And, yes, He DID find me. Not vice versa. The Lord found me when I wasn't looking. But now that I hear the Lord's unmistakable calls, I offer myself to Him and accept the gracious gift of eternal life that's been offered to me!

I beg God never to let me return to that dark and awful place that is atheism. Never again do I want to be separated from God. Because I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior at age 12 or 13, God never really left me. But I see how He put enormous effort into bringing me back into Fellowship with Him.
Were you one of those believing atheist?

Ones that SAY they are an atheist but believe there is something bigger then you out there?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Correlation does not show causation, for starters. And who's to say a higher rate of suicide couldn't simply be due to some/most outspoken atheists being treated differently (i.e., worse) for their atheism?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Correlation does not show causation, for starters. And who's to say a higher rate of suicide couldn't simply be due to some/most outspoken atheists being treated differently (i.e., worse) for their atheism?
Whatever the cause is, it doesn’t change the bottom line.

We should try to find the cause and we should try to improve the numbers by fixing the underlying problem - but that’s a different topic. And to move into that direction, the first step, IMO, will be to verify and then agree with the findings posted in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality