Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Or perhaps, it's less about the externals? Maybe we, collectively, are in need of more internal self-discipline in what sort of perspective we cultivate about ourselves, each other, and our circumstances?
That's a big part of it, and maybe the largest underlying factor. Great observation

We face a mixture of rotten eternals and weaker "internals" these days, for a double-whammy inside and out.

I can easily see a big difference between now and when I was a teenager. So much more junk and difficulties now than back then. Life is much more complicated and harder to navigate. Some will say we've advanced, but I see where we've dwindled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
IF...IF….atheists were more prone to suicide, I don't doubt a great deal of their unhappiness can be attributed to the way they were treated by Christians that declare them abominable.

So some Atheists take their own lives because some Christians tell them, what? That "You are going to hell"

And those Atheists in return say, "OK lets find out", boom!! jump off the cliff?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So some Atheists take their own lives because some Christians tell them, what? That "You are going to hell"

And those Atheists in return say, "OK lets find out", boom!! jump off the cliff?
I haven't been following the thread closely, so perhaps this has already been mentioned … A lot of atheists are former theists. Probably former fundamentalist theists, even. And when that rug gets pulled out from under you, it is disconcerting to say the least. Your whole world view is destroyed and, as fundamentalists, it was ingrained in us that without our "correct doctrines" we would be like a ship being tossed about by a very angry ocean. We're raised with fear, and the only thing that was standing between us and certain doom was our beliefs.

How many people have a support system in place to help them navigate that, to help them find their sense of equilibrium again? Most people are surrounded by others who believe as they USED to believe, so there's probably not many, if any, others to turn to. It's a hell of a place to be, let me tell you. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some people, in a desperation to escape the discomfort of that grief and pain and helplessness and fear, wanted to end it in any way they could.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:

No, worse than that, it could be related to some Christians on the internet persistently telling them "Evolution is a theory".

Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:

Oh! I had homosexuals, not atheists in mind when I wrote that!! Duh!
Ah well, not the dumbest thing I've done today, just maybe the most public.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
The Canadian rate peaked in 1983, having rose from the 50s and dropping from the peak until 2007 the last of the data.

However the page states that the rates are relatively flat since 1920. If this is the case and Canada is both a less religious country tha the States and less religious now than in the first half of the last century, maybe other factors than atheism should be examined first.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The Canadian rate peaked in 1983, having rose from the 50s and dropping from the peak until 2007 the last of the data.

However the page states that the rates are relatively flat since 1920. If this is the case and Canada is both a less religious country tha the States and less religious now than in the first half of the last century, maybe other factors than atheism should be examined first.
Perhaps the propensity to elect super narcissistic leaders plays into this?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:54 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

How many people have a support system in place to help them navigate that, to help them find their sense of equilibrium again? Most people are surrounded by others who believe as they USED to believe, so there's probably not many, if any, others to turn to. It's a hell of a place to be, let me tell you. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some people, in a desperation to escape the discomfort of that grief and pain and helplessness and fear, wanted to end it in any way they could.
I completely understand this train of thought - it’s true that often times, some sort of support system is needed in its place. That said, it’s a huge jump to attribute that lack of support - or the fact the person didn’t seek it - as being on the shoulders of atheists. Bottom line - depression (whether related to circumstances or one’s genetic mental health) is overwhelmingly the cause of suicide. Religion, or lack thereof, doesn’t cause suicide. Severe depression - and lack of medical care does.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I completely understand this train of thought - it’s true that often times, some sort of support system is needed in its place. That said, it’s a huge jump to attribute that lack of support - or the fact the person didn’t seek it - as being on the shoulders of atheists. Bottom line - depression (whether related to circumstances or one’s genetic mental health) is overwhelmingly the cause of suicide. Religion, or lack thereof, doesn’t cause suicide. Severe depression - and lack of medical care does.
Oh, I wasn't, at all.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have spent over 30 years as an atheist, and I am quite happy and content. I do not find it dark and awful in the least, rather I find it liberating and peaceful.
Yes but if you found Jesus again you'd be REALLY happy.............

You'd go skipping down the street everyday singing tra! la! la! la! la!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality