Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 05:54 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times

Advertisements

There's plenty of mental illness in religious communities- especially depression. Been there, seen that first hand.

I am an adult with high functioning autism, and also a long time ally of the LGBT community (which caused friction with several churches). I've actually been alot more content since I stopped going to church regularly and just started back meditating instead. I can imagine for some people, they simply don't get alot out of belonging to organized religion, particularly if that religion is enmeshed in things they don't see as acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 06:04 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
There's plenty of mental illness in religious communities- especially depression. Been there, seen that first hand.

I am an adult with high functioning autism, and also a long time ally of the LGBT community (which caused friction with several churches). I've actually been alot more content since I stopped going to church regularly and just started back meditating instead. I can imagine for some people, they simply don't get alot out of belonging to organized religion, particularly if that religion is enmeshed in things they don't see as acceptable.
Thank you for sharing that.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 AM

411 posts, read 416,195 times
I was on YouTube this morning browsing free ab workouts and happened upon a video of an elderly woman being euthanized on her own couch at home. Admittedly, the clue was in the title but the constant flow of clickbait means you sometimes watch to confirm that it is indeed clickbait.

It was real. Without intending to, and without the standard age consent confirmation, I watched a lady be injected with something on her own couch. Pretty heavy viewing. I don't disagree with euthanasia but jeez.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:29 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's a valid conclusion given the pattern that when atheism rises, so does the suicide rate.
It's a "valid conclusion" perhaps to you, but not to others who consider the reality of additional factors that pertain to suicide rates.

If you look at the suicide rates by gender, for example, you will see a marked difference in the suicide rates of some nations. The top four nations ranked with the highest suicide rates for females are: Lesotho (#1), Uganda (#2), Nigeria (#3), and India (#4). On the other hand, the suicide rankings for males in these same nations are: Lesotho (#25), Uganda (#37), Nigeria (#56), and India (#46). (Source: 2016 suicide rates data by country, compiled by the World Health Organization.) With the exception of India (which is predominantly Hindu), these nations are predominantly Christian.

Considering that, worldwide, men are three times more likely to commit suicide than are women, the disproportionate rate of female suicides in these top four nations (and a number of other nations that I didn't state here) becomes even more disturbing.

Why are women in these (and some other nations) far more inclined than men to commit suicide? I doubt very much that these desperate women are killing themselves because it's religion that they don't have in their lives.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No wonder the resident atheist here living with chronic pain tries to find meaning by ripping apart Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
M...

What about the healthy atheists ripping apart Christianity?
Ah. You know how it goes. You don't dare mention that you went fishing at the weekend "Ah-hah!So you have to go and destroy the lives of fishes in order to distract yourself from realising how miserable and meaningless you life is without Christianity.."

Since they have no actual case, it sooner or later comes down to ad Hom attacks. And since atheists are all quite different types, the 'characteristics' have to be cherry picked out of any clues that the atheist let slip.

It's pretty mean -spirited really to target someone who has to battle chronic pain and suggest that this is why they have to take it out on Christianity. But then, as we see, Christianity doesn't seem to improve people.

It's what i rather think of as the Ned Flanders syndrome. All the time there is no opposition, it's all smiles and 'Hi diddley hi neigbor...have you taken Jesus into your heart yet?' but the Museum puts on an evolution exhibit and he's there arms crossly crossed, scowling like Mussolini while campaigning for censorship of anything he doesn't like.. I don't believe the exhibition kindliness. I believe the hate and venom.

Jeff's quite refreshing in that respect. at least what you see is what there is.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
It's a "valid conclusion" perhaps to you, but not to others who consider the reality of additional factors that pertain to suicide rates.

If you look at the suicide rates by gender, for example, you will see a marked difference in the suicide rates of some nations. The top four nations ranked with the highest suicide rates for females are: Lesotho (#1), Uganda (#2), Nigeria (#3), and India (#4). On the other hand, the suicide rankings for males in these same nations are: Lesotho (#25), Uganda (#37), Nigeria (#56), and India (#46). (Source: 2016 suicide rates data by country, compiled by the World Health Organization.) With the exception of India (which is predominantly Hindu), these nations are predominantly Christian.

Considering that, worldwide, men are three times more likely to commit suicide than are women, the disproportionate rate of female suicides in these top four nations (and a number of other nations that I didn't state here) becomes even more disturbing.

Why are women in these (and some other nations) far more inclined than men to commit suicide? I doubt very much that these desperate women are killing themselves because it's religion that they don't have in their lives.
Yes, Jeff likes to ignore any and all other things other than atheism, in this case. In the countries you mention, it is likely because of the poor treatment the receive on a daily basis, combined with the fact that they are far less likely to make it out of the situation than someone in a first world country.

In places like Japan, it is likely the long work hours, high cost of living, very high expectations, and things like that. In the US, it is probably much the same. High expectations, high COL vs salary, high debts, and things like that. Again, nothing to do with religion. Would an atheist have a higher chance of suicide if put in the exact same situation as a Christian? Maybe, maybe not. No way to tell.

Either way, Jeff doesn't care. He will still blame it on atheists. The funny thing to me, is that Jeff will talk about the US being a "Christian nation", and how almost everyone is a Christian, but at the same time blame atheists (who he thinks is a small, insignificant amount people) with all the social ills. Either he believes atheists have an extraordinary amount of power for such a small group, or he is talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
The funny thing to me, is that Jeff will talk about the US being a "Christian nation", and how almost everyone is a Christian, but at the same time blame atheists (who he thinks is a small, insignificant amount people) with all the social ills. Either he believes atheists have an extraordinary amount of power for such a small group, or he is talking out of both sides of his mouth.
More like both ends of his body.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yes, Jeff likes to ignore any and all other things other than atheism, in this case. In the countries you mention, it is likely because of the poor treatment the receive on a daily basis, combined with the fact that they are far less likely to make it out of the situation than someone in a first world country.

In places like Japan, it is likely the long work hours, high cost of living, very high expectations, and things like that. In the US, it is probably much the same. High expectations, high COL vs salary, high debts, and things like that. Again, nothing to do with religion. Would an atheist have a higher chance of suicide if put in the exact same situation as a Christian? Maybe, maybe not. No way to tell.

Either way, Jeff doesn't care. He will still blame it on atheists. The funny thing to me, is that Jeff will talk about the US being a "Christian nation", and how almost everyone is a Christian, but at the same time blame atheists (who he thinks is a small, insignificant amount people) with all the social ills. Either he believes atheists have an extraordinary amount of power for such a small group, or he is talking out of both sides of his mouth.
Poor old Jeff we are so ganging up on him. And the thing is that religion/irreligion demongraphics may have a part in suicide -rates, but not as much as he would like. Scandinavia has always featured highly in advanced thought and society, but has tended to have alcoholism problems. This has been linked with too much darkness. Others argue that income and standard of living disparity causes despair and a higher suicide rate. Bottom line - there are just too many variables and factors to lay the blame at the door of any one of them, and Jeff is blatantly looking to find something to blame atheism for.

But you picked up the double standard well enough. Yes, anything good, it is all due to the overwhelming dominance of religion in America. anything bad, blame it on increased atheism.

I'd hate to think that it could be true. The trouble is that it is not directed by authority. This is a grassroots movement. People are leaving religion by themselves. If anything, authority would rather keep people religious. The problem is that increased irreligion is not being accompanied by increased reasoning. At least it isn't being taught. Thus, it isn't making people that bit better.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Poor old Jeff we are so ganging up on him. And the thing is that religion/irreligion demongraphics may have a part in suicide -rates, but not as much as he would like. Scandinavia has always featured highly in advanced thought and society, but has tended to have alcoholism problems. This has been linked with too much darkness. Others argue that income and standard of living disparity causes despair and a higher suicide rate. Bottom line - there are just too many variables and factors to lay the blame at the door of any one of them, and Jeff is blatantly looking to find something to blame atheism for.

But you picked up the double standard well enough. Yes, anything good, it is all due to the overwhelming dominance of religion in America. anything bad, blame it on increased atheism.

I'd hate to think that it could be true. The trouble is that it is not directed by authority. This is a grassroots movement. People are leaving religion by themselves. If anything, authority would rather keep people religious. The problem is that increased irreligion is not being accompanied by increased reasoning. At least it isn't being taught. Thus, it isn't making people that bit better.
Yes, there are a multitude of reasons one may resort to suicide, and no single one can be blamed. There is no single reason one would do such a thing, but instead, many reasons. There may be a catalyst that actually leads to the act itself, but it wouldn't be because of that single thing.

The double standard is my main issue, other than his blatant and continued lies about atheists and atheism. He wants to say the US is a Christian nation and that the large majority are Christian, but at the same time, anything bad is because of atheists and gay people. So which is it? Are atheists such a small minority that we have no strength at all, or are we the ones pulling all the strings? If we are pulling all the strings for the bad stuff, then logic would dictate we are also pulling the strings for the good stuff, since the Christian majority of the country are apparently less powerful than the small minority of atheists...

It just doesn't make sense. His whole argument is flawed, and filled with lies about atheists. You are right though, in that people leaving religion doesn't necessarily mean they are better at reasoning or anything of the sort. the only hope, is that those people raise their kids differently, and give them the ability to better reason, leading to better things down the line.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Here is the problem with your assessment and the typical nonsense spewed by 90s (who will always remain on my block list). If all those factors are the prime driving force of suicide in those countries then what changed? The factors are pretty much the same as in previous years and decades. It's always been dark. Alcohol problems are nothing new there, the social pressure to succeed in Japan etc.. So the suicide rate should logically stay about the same. Yet, all the articles I've posted have noted that the suicide rate is going up by an ALARMING number in multiple countries. You offer nothing to explain what is causing the increase. What has changed? More atheism.

Face it, a secular atheistic society has not produced a better society but only a darker one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality