Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
of course he can always dismiss the map as a lie, because it is from an atheist source. But what's with the 'No Federal prisons'? What do they do? Put them against a wall?
Ahhhh.. .hence I linked to the actual data from the Feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well that's a hypocritical position. You completely ignore factors like poverty and throw in a baseless association being that the states are in the Bible belt. So what? If the non-Bible belt states had this level of poverty, the crime would go up there too. Besides you do have non-Bible belt areas which are crime havens like Baltimore. Just take a look at the stats here. Hey look, District of Columbia is near the bottom for poverty. And no surprise, Washington DC is a high crime area, once known as the murder capitol.

https://talkpoverty.org/poverty/

The evidence is clear. Christianity has NOTHING to do with crime stats. This is the great lie of atheists. Blaming every single problem on Christians and pretending like they are the higher moral ground.
Yet... YOU suggest that atheism is the cause of suicide rates that are high. You have to admit, it is rather interesting that where the population of bible believin', god breathin', gospel preahin', amen screechin' is the highest, also has the highest crime rate.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So how many stat courses have you taken?
Quote:
How many have you, stat expert?
So none then.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
It's only ridiculous because your claim has no relationship between the two factoids. OTOH, I explained why atheism which is hopeless at its core would lead someone to commit suicide especially if their life sucked. There really would be no point in going on suffering but merely to delay your trip to the compost heap and becoming worm food.
Jeff, there is a relationship between the two but having said that, I personally do not deny that lack of religious conviction might make it easier for a person in despair to take their own life.

After my own son took his life, I wondered whether he might have survived had he been 'born again' like his mother was. Her religious convictions seemed to have given her the strength to get through. She commented a few times that I must very strong to get through it all without God. I did not feel strong, I can tell you that. It wasn't only my son's suicide I was going through.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:03 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Here is the problem with your assessment and the typical nonsense spewed by 90s (who will always remain on my block list). If all those factors are the prime driving force of suicide in those countries then what changed? The factors are pretty much the same as in previous years and decades. It's always been dark. Alcohol problems are nothing new there, the social pressure to succeed in Japan etc.. So the suicide rate should logically stay about the same. Yet, all the articles I've posted have noted that the suicide rate is going up by an ALARMING number in multiple countries. You offer nothing to explain what is causing the increase. What has changed? More atheism.
Many things have changed. You offer nothing to explain why it is allegedly due to atheism.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
No, i start a discussion and your ilk has to degrade it to personal character attacks. Every single time.
Come on Jeff. You started a thread accusing atheism of causing increased suicides. You were shown to be making a claim that didn't stand up. Now you are accusing us of being abusive when we pointed oit that your argument was invalid. It's pretty much your style - bash an atheist have your information shown unsound, get abusive and and accuse us of being abusive.

Your argument that we will never admit to being wrong isn't too brilliant either. You never , ever, admit to being wrong even when it is shown that you are. And the reason we rarely have to fess up is because we tend not to cherry -pick the data to suit what we want to believe. If the facts don't support atheism as the cause of increased suicides, it's hardly our fault if we don't say 'we are wrong' when we aren't.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Pointless and irrelevant. Most Americans would not claim to be atheist. That doesn't mean they are actually Christians. So of course a minority population (in other words, the VAST majority of the world thinks atheist is LIE) is not going to make up a majority of prison population.

Furthermore, the states with the highest incarcerations tend to be in the South where POVERTY fuels social problems like drugs, gang violence and Mexican border problems.
So not atheism, then?

Old 08-15-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
This is the great lie of atheists. Blaming every single problem on Christians and pretending like they are the higher moral ground.
How can this be the great lie when no one does this?

And we are not pretending, we often are on the moral high ground.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
And exactly how is that possible when I am dealing with a group that has a track record of auto-rejecting any kind of evidence that supports Christianity? Their ego will not allow an atheist to be humble and admit they are wrong.
Why do you insist on repeating this lie?

Quote:
I supported my opinion with links of evidence. You rejected because you HAVE to. Predictable as always.
No, you either do not understand what your links say, or misrepresent them. And you have a track record of auto-rejecting our responses every time we explain why your links do not support your claim.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
No, i start a discussion and your ilk has to degrade it to personal character attacks. Every single time.
Wrong, we read your links and then point out why they do not support your assertions. But even before we have a chance to do that, you attack us in the title of this thread.

Suicide Rate Now Highest in 50 Years, Way to Go, Atheists!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality