Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I've made that point a number of times - but without the implication that Christianity had anything to do with it*.

You're making that connection all on your own, Jeff, and you sure are defensive about it.
Did you even read my OP? I supported my position with a statement directly from the American Journal of Psychiatry which went on to say this:

Quote:

Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide.
Of course, your side distorts and watered down the clear evidence then painted over it with this false narrative that my position is just so wacky and I'm the only one proposing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

* - I do think that fundamentalist thinking tends to correlate with an ineffectual criminal justice system, which is really no surprise. But cause-and-effect? I wouldn't go that far. It's funny that you jump to that conclusion, though.

PS - Citing comprehensive FBI annual data which shows that VIOLENT CRIME IS MUCH HIGHER IN THE SOUTH is not cherry-picking. Sorry, Jeff, but you really suck at logic.

It is cherry picking when you force a relationship between two factors that have nothing to do with each other in reality. Go look at a crime map in one of those southern cities. It always is centered around the run down parts of town. Poverty is driving force which has zero to do with it being in the Bible belt. Telling me I suck was completely unnecessary but the typical garbage I get when dealing with your kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I don't blame you for being misled. That atheists do not see reasons for living and no moral imperative against suicide could look to you like we are miserable and suicidal. But that's not it. That there are no universal reasons for us to live means that we can have our own - which frankly sounds better than some obligations being dumped on us by some self -serving deity. That we see no moral mandate against suicide, doesn't mean that we all want to top ourselves; it just means that we don't buy into some celestial dictator who says that we can be killed if he says so, but not if we say so.

I won't say too much about a correlation between the bible- belief areas and poverty, never mind crime and suicide. There seem to be be too many factors to make sech clear correlations.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Did you even read my OP? I supported my position with a statement directly from the American Journal of Psychiatry which went on to say this:

Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide.

Of course, your side distorts and watered down the clear evidence then painted over it with this false narrative that my position is just so wacky and I'm the only one proposing it.
Did YOU even read your OP? Obviously not, because (as several of us explained earlier) it explains at the start that it is using 'religiously unaffiliated' as a measure of the strength of religious belief. So the religiously unaffiliated includes religious people who do not identify with a specific religion.

They even compared them with studies on atheism, so clearly they are not talking about just atheists.

And what is this? Although it is not known whether there is causality involved in the association between suicide attempt and lack of religious affiliation, Kendler et al. (29) have argued that, in general, the effect of religious commitment on personal (mal)adjustment is stronger than the reverse.

So the paper is saying it does not know if there is a cause. So the only person distorting the paper is you. Again.

Cue the usual excuses in 3, 2, 1 ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality