Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The divorce rate is down.

Stupid atheists. Thanks a lot.
So is the abortion rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
The OP is deceptively misleading (...I'm sure it wasn't intentional....).
Thanks a lot Hella. I was drinking a soda while reading the posts, and when I saw that I spit out root beer all over my computer screen.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The thread is about suicide, not teen pregnancy. Typical lame tactic though. When you can't face facts, you deflect to something else or just launch into personal attacks.

Fair point Jeff. Referencing "Burr's law"(1) you will stick to the point and insist that we stick to it as well all the time you reckon you're winning. And these stats are always open to interpretation. Linking this increase to atheism is not explicit, as some posters said. At least it shows that you accept that atheism is on the increase. I'll just have to take the time to look at the stats myself. After all, I don't feel suicidal. I don't know any atheist that does. Why should you assume there's a causal link? Well I know why, but why should we let you tell us that?

(1) Bill Burr's 'No reason to hit a woman'. He notes their method of arguing, but he does not associate it with the apologetics methods of any group that believes that they are Right on Faith - like UFO believers and Christians. And perhaps, as Jeff points out - atheists, too.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:07 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Suicide rates have gone up for the same reason we have so many damn homeless people. It's simply a lot harder to make it these days.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:42 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
You can't handle straight up facts so you have to resort to straight up mockery. Nice going.
You can't handle valid questions about your blame game. So you resort to dismissal.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Suicide rates have gone up for the same reason
we have so many damn homeless people. It's simply a lot harder to make it these days.
Yes, and robberies and people 'losin' it' in general...regretfully with guns.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Here is another post from me that you can ignore as you usually do -

Quote:
This is the world atheism and secularism as created.
That is one hell of an assertion and not one I am seeing backed up in your thread anywhere at all. Especially given statistically how much of minority group atheists have been, and still are. So to prop up your fantasy you basically have to imagine that atheism is a lot more statistically significant _and_ influential than it remotely is.

Quote:
More division, more hopeless, more conflict, less tolerance and less empathy.
There is not a shred of evidence - and you certainly have not offered any here - to suggest atheism is to blame for any of that.

However there _has_ been plenty of evidence which we can go over if you wish showing that things like Social Media and News Media are very heavily to blame for much of it. I guess however you are required to ignore all that to prop up your little fantasy here.

Quote:
People have bought into the lie that there is no God, and no purpose to live.
I think more and more people are buying into the concept that you should not believe rubbish unless it comes with evidence to make it believable. You have been asked _many_ times for evidence there is a god on this forum on innumerable threads. And you have not given any at all yet. So the lies come from you here - no one else.

However "no god" is not = "no purpose to live". You have made that leap yourself as if it is the correct one. If that is the leap _you_ want to make then great for you - but again reality is not your friend as it is punctuated in many many places by atheists who appear to have no issue finding motivation, life meaning and worthy narratives.

You appear to believe the fantastical nonsense idea therefore that because people do not find purpose the same way _you_ do then they must not find any at all. The hubris and arrogance required to make that leap is astounding. Yet you appear to express it without shame.

Quote:
And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide.
No. It has not. But as with many many many threads you have posted on - you do your best to pretend you do not understand the difference between correlation and causation. And that you do not understand the limits of a very local study of a very small and select group of people.

For example many of the more secular and atheistic countries in our world have lower suicide rates than more religious countries such as your own. Compare the suicide rates in the US with Canada, UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Australia and more. Then compare the rates of religiosity. You will not find your fantasy held up by the facts I am afraid.

Further correlation is not causation. That suicide might occur at slightly higher rates in a group of atheists than a group of theists in no way shows that atheism is _causing_ suicide. Rather perhaps some aspects of theism is actively _preventing_ it. For example a fear of divine retribution for the sin of suicide was frequently espoused in Catholicism. Even the study itself does not make the claims you are pretending it does. Rather what they say is things like Theists had more of a moral objection to suicide. Which supports my interpretation and rubbishes yours. Bully for you I guess.

Further your study looks solely at "inpatients" not at theistic and atheistic statistics as a whole. As such they are not a representative group of the general population. Further again your study shows that they did not at all normalize for other differences in the comparisons. For example the suicide rates in the statistics you link to are just as correlative with being married as being atheist. In other words - someone who does not understand basic science and statistics like yourself - could twist the statistics in that study also to make it look like not being married was a predictor of suicide as much as not being theist.

Also worse for you is that many studies have correlated religiosity negatively with intelligence and education. Things like intelligence correlate with suicide too! Again bully for you - because this means that Intelligence can be a predictive factor of _both_ suicide and atheism - rather than as you pretend suicide being the link with atheism.

The study also acknowledges other aspects you have ignored. Such as the fact that rather than atheism being a predictor of the depression and suicide - it was the disease of depression itself that was a link to the atheism. So the "causal" effect is exactly the opposite of that one your little narrative fantasy requires. Bully for you a third time.

Finally one I would add myself is one I also schooled you and "supersoul" on before related to homosexuality when you tried and failed to blame homosexuality for depression and mental health issues. That is to say - that the societal attitude towards homosexuals was a causal link to the mental health issues they had. Not their homosexuality. Similarly here - since atheists have long been a hated and mistrusted minoority in the US it is the attitudes of people - people much like yourself - towards them that caused their pain. Not their atheism. To quote you back at yourself therefore "That's the bed you made". Your hated of us - your bigotry towards us - your judgements and lies about us - they are the cause of issues in the weaker of us. Not the atheism.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:10 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If fewer believers off themselves it's because they're afraid their omni-loving, merciful god will toast them for eternity.

I'm a believer, and I wouldn't commit suicide because it violates a spiritual agreement with God. That's a good enough reason for me.

That being said, my own beloved husband chose to put a bullet in his brain in April 2016, and he was a very proud atheist. He thought it was "lights out" when you die.

As someone who survived a near-death experience, I can state with authority, he was quite wrong.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As someone who survived a near-death experience, I can state with authority, he was quite wrong.
Well no - you cant. You had a "near" death experience. Therefore you did not die. Therefore you have no authority whatsoever to discuss the experience - or lack of it - of the dead. The clue is quite literally in the name.

As another user used to say quite comically - an NDE is about as relevant as an experience of death as walking up to an airplane and not boarding it is an experience of a sun-holiday away in Spain.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide." Does the research show higher suicide rates among LGBTQ youth because of harassment by evangelicals?
Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality