Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
And this is why I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the CD forum. You don't know me. I don't know you. Why the vitriol? Yuck. Are you that invested in your own opinion that you can't consider the honest sharing of another human being?

And there's this: You're wrong. LOL.
There's no vitriol in Momentus' post. You just don't like what he said.

There's a difference between "consider(ing) the honest sharing of another human being" with stating that person is an authority that is correct beyond question.

I have had a couple of tremendous experiences with psychics. Does that mean I'm an authority on psychics? Hardly.

You have no evidence to back up your claim. And while what you shared is interesting, it is not authoritative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Here is another post from me that you can ignore as you usually do -
I don't have the time or energy to respond to every post so it's another false assertion that I'm ignoring your post.. It would be nice if the forum wasn't so overwhelmingly anti-Christian.

Quote:

That is one hell of an assertion and not one I am seeing backed up in your thread anywhere at all. Especially given statistically how much of minority group atheists have been, and still are. So to prop up your fantasy you basically have to imagine that atheism is a lot more statistically significant _and_ influential than it remotely is.
Ok, so I guess a study done by a school of psychology is completely worthless. Let's make sure to never fund studies again since they are not evidence in your world.

Here's another for you. The countries on the 2018 ranking which are dominantly non-religious like France, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark are pretty high up on the suicide list. Care to explain why?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/

Quote:

However there _has_ been plenty of evidence which we can go over if you wish showing that things like Social Media and News Media are very heavily to blame for much of it. I guess however you are required to ignore all that to prop up your little fantasy here.

I think more and more people are buying into the concept that you should not believe rubbish unless it comes with evidence to make it believable. You have been asked _many_ times for evidence there is a god on this forum on innumerable threads. And you have not given any at all yet. So the lies come from you here - no one else.

I've dealt with your kind long enough to know it is a waste of time to present evidence. And when I tested the waters here, it was laughed at because that's really the driving force for atheists in these discussion. They don't want evidence. They just want to mock us and dismantle evidence. Well news flash, you can poke holes of doubt in ANYTHING. There is very little that you can prove beyond any possible doubt in this world.

Quote:

However "no god" is not = "no purpose to live". You have made that leap yourself as if it is the correct one. If that is the leap _you_ want to make then great for you - but again reality is not your friend as it is punctuated in many many places by atheists who appear to have no issue finding motivation, life meaning and worthy narratives.
Atheists are merely fooling themselves by putting up shields and barriers that once stripped away, they realize how hollow, meaningless and hopeless their life is. Anything you built up as a vehicle for happiness can be snatched away in an instance. What would you tell the mother who lost her entire family in a freak accident on the normally fun and enjoyable Branson Ride the Ducks boat? Hey, sorry sucks to be you and that the random deck of cards just gave you a lousy hand? There is no meaning in your world. Just senseless randomness where anyone can suddenly cease to exist at anytime.

Quote:

You appear to believe the fantastical nonsense idea therefore that because people do not find purpose the same way _you_ do then they must not find any at all. The hubris and arrogance required to make that leap is astounding. Yet you appear to express it without shame.

No. It has not. But as with many many many threads you have posted on - you do your best to pretend you do not understand the difference between correlation and causation. And that you do not understand the limits of a very local study of a very small and select group of people.
Sorry, but that stance really comes off as a big copout. Why ever study anything again if all you can do is throw out the correlation and causation defense. In my book, anything that even remotely suggests a certain reality is evidence. Tiny evidence is still evidence.

Quote:

For example many of the more secular and atheistic countries in our world have lower suicide rates than more religious countries such as your own. Compare the suicide rates in the US with Canada, UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Australia and more. Then compare the rates of religiosity. You will not find your fantasy held up by the facts I am afraid.

According to my link, the most religious countries are ranked the lowest. Take a country like Saudi Arabia where religion is deeply engrained in their society. I have an American friend that lives over there and he loves it. Friendly people, good food, zero crime, great shopping, and low suicide rate.

OTOH in the US, you have atheists doing stuff like forming their own churches because they desperately need to fill that void. In the physical world, life is in the blood. No blood, no life. In the spirit world, life is in love. A person who has a void of giving or receiving love is dying inside. No love, no life.

Quote:

Further correlation is not causation. That suicide might occur at slightly higher rates in a group of atheists than a group of theists in no way shows that atheism is _causing_ suicide. Rather perhaps some aspects of theism is actively _preventing_ it. For example a fear of divine retribution for the sin of suicide was frequently espoused in Catholicism. Even the study itself does not make the claims you are pretending it does. Rather what they say is things like Theists had more of a moral objection to suicide. Which supports my interpretation and rubbishes yours. Bully for you I guess.
And I can say that just because I sat in my chair a thousand times doesn't prove that it will support my weight the next time. Just because you crossed a bridge a thousand times doesn't mean it won't collapse today. While you completely reject the possibility that I am right, you offer zero counter evidence. If atheists are not causing the higher suicide rate then what is? Nothing you say here shows me that I'm wrong either.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That depends upon which/what text you're willing to accept. How many children did Adam and Lilith produce?
Adam had an affair with Lilith? was it consensual incest\?

Religious guilt often leads to suicide or deep depression.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Report on NBC Evening World News last night:

the suicide rate across the board is the highest in 50 years. It has nothing to do with atheists. Sociologists are saying it has to do with things like chronic unrelenting pain among about 50 million Americans made worse by the ban on opiate drugs imposed by the DEA and by general despair brought on by poverty, lack of work, and other negative things happening in this country.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
And this is why I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the CD forum. You don't know me. I don't know you. Why the vitriol? Yuck. Are you that invested in your own opinion that you can't consider the honest sharing of another human being?

And there's this: You're wrong. LOL.
after I curse the guy that just called me a dope, I always ask myself ..."what did he say again?" just to check myself.

list what he said without adjectives.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Report on NBC Evening World News last night:

the suicide rate across the board is the highest in 50 years. It has nothing to do with atheists. Sociologists are saying it has to do with things like chronic unrelenting pain among about 50 million Americans made worse by the ban on opiate drugs imposed by the DEA and by general despair brought on by poverty, lack of work, and other negative things happening in this country.
so the poor and drug addicts are killing themselves?

Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
IHere's another for you. The countries on the 2018 ranking which are dominantly non-religious like France, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark are pretty high up on the suicide list. Care to explain why?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/
Another misrepresentatin by Jeff. Your list of countries are in the middle and beaten by religious countries. The first 10 on your list are religious countries. And looking at your list, their appears to be NO correlation between religious belief and suicide rates per country.

Try reading your own links instead of making things up.

Quote:
I've dealt with your kind long enough to know it is a waste of time to present evidence.
That you misrepresent, every time.

Quote:
And when I tested the waters here, it was laughed at because that's really the driving force for atheists in these discussion. They don't want evidence.
Another lie. We do want evidence. And you provide it for us. It is a shame that you then misrepresent that evidence. Every time.

Quote:
Atheists are merely fooling themselves by putting up shields and barriers that once stripped away, they realize how hollow, meaningless and hopeless their life is.
Projection is your name.

Quote:
Anything you built up as a vehicle for happiness can be snatched away in an instance. What would you tell the mother who lost her entire family in a freak accident on the normally fun and enjoyable Branson Ride the Ducks boat? Hey, sorry sucks to be you and that the random deck of cards just gave you a lousy hand? There is no meaning in your world. Just senseless randomness where anyone can suddenly cease to exist at anytime.
Which is what happens in the real world.

Quote:
Sorry, but that stance really comes off as a big copout. Why ever study anything again if all you can do is throw out the correlation and causation defense. In my book, anything that even remotely suggests a certain reality is evidence. Tiny evidence is still evidence.
A known scientific principle is a cop out? If you ignore the cüm hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, then you can ask why ever study anything again?

Quote:
According to my link, the most religious countries are ranked the lowest.
And the highest.

Quote:
OTOH in the US, you have atheists doing stuff like forming their own churches because they desperately need to fill that void. In the physical world, life is in the blood. No blood, no life. In the spirit world, life is in love. A person who has a void of giving or receiving love is dying inside. No love, no life.
More invention and misrepresentation. Is your religion really worth nothing? Is your life really that hollow you need to invent and misrepresent? Why are you so afraid, because deep down you know all you have is a life based on false premises?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Another misrepresentatin by Jeff. Your list of countries are in the middle and beaten by religious countries. The first 10 on your list are religious countries. And looking at your list, their appears to be NO correlation between religious belief and suicide rates per country.

Try reading your own links instead of making things up.
The ones at the top of the list all appear to be Ukrainian countries. That doesn't surprise me. Poverty, high crime, alcoholism, and long cold winters are more likely to be the driving mechanism for suicide in those countries.

Quote:

Another lie. We do want evidence. And you provide it for us. It is a shame that you then misrepresent that evidence. Every time.
If you wanted evidence, you would be in the churches seeing if it for real. Interviewing doctors who claim to witness miracles, testimonies etc instead of just auto rejecting anything a Christian throws out there.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Adam had an affair with Lilith? was it consensual incest\?

Religious guilt often leads to suicide or deep depression.
Your original question asked how many daughters Adam had. Remember?

Old 11-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"And the research has shown a direct link between atheism and suicide." Does the research show higher suicide rates among LGBTQ youth because of harassment by evangelicals?
I'll be bookmarking this post anytime you people claim that I am so obsessed with homosexuality and it's all I talk about on here. I can't even make a completely unrelated thread without YOU not ME dragging it into the conversation. This speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality