Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 02:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so the poor and drug addicts are killing themselves?
And for some unknown reason, they are aligning with the nonreligious or just not aligning with anyone at all and thus still being in the "line" of nonreligious. Seeing no substance, not even by coincidence and then speculation that such a seeming coincidence isn't random, the suffering people are still yet not flocking to religion. Is it any wonder? Thus they take up upon themselves to do what their brains tell them, use their God-given or natural right/capability of choice to end themselves.

When everyone points fingers, we know that the whole society is to blame.
Shame that we don't want to take the responsibility upon ourselves.
I sure haven't been doing enough to reach out to those depressed cast-aways or those hidden-about by false religions that oppress and failingly beseech them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQzlnkeFc4Q

No worries, I'm sure there will be yet another religious revival soon (given the tax-incentives as well) since the ignorant as literally born every minute and the non-religious don't get have a tax-break supported culture of keeping their own records and teachings.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 11-30-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 02:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'll be bookmarking this post anytime you people claim that I am so obsessed with homosexuality and it's all I talk about on here. I can't even make a completely unrelated thread without YOU not ME dragging it into the conversation. This speaks volumes.
Like I said, higher suicide rates among Protestants rather than Catholics have been known for a while now.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:44 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Like I said, higher suicide rates among Protestants rather than Catholics have been known for a while now.
That's because the Catholics could have their sins wiped clean weekly by going to confession in a "Do unto others, then confess" scenario. No carrying around shame/guilt/responsibility that could lead to depression/suicide...

"It was great to be Catholic and go to confession. You could start over every week"

Carogelo 'C' Anello
From the movie "The Streets Of The Bronx"

Old 11-30-2018, 03:00 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:

<snip>

Atheists are merely fooling themselves by putting up shields and barriers that once stripped away, they realize how hollow, meaningless and hopeless their life is. Anything you built up as a vehicle for happiness can be snatched away in an instance. What would you tell the mother who lost her entire family in a freak accident on the normally fun and enjoyable Branson Ride the Ducks boat? Hey, sorry sucks to be you and that the random deck of cards just gave you a lousy hand? There is no meaning in your world. Just senseless randomness where anyone can suddenly cease to exist at anytime.

<snip>
What makes you think the Atheists are fooling themselves?

Why don't you go to the A&A forum and simply start a thread to ASK them if they realize how hollow, meaningless and hopeless their lives are?

They should be able to answer those questions. I wouldn't think they would be too difficult to answer.

BTW, what would YOU tell the mother who lost her entire family in a freak accident?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:57 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so the poor and drug addicts are killing themselves?
No, you're misrepresenting what I said. Lots of poor people are very happy. I said poverty contributes to the suicide rate when poor people are UNHAPPY. And drug addicts are not killing themselves. They're dying of overdoses, that is entirely different. If people in chronic pain are killing themselves in record numbers it's because they cannot get relief from their pain. The reasons are irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
I don't have the time or energy to respond to every post so it's another false assertion that I'm ignoring your post.. It would be nice if the forum wasn't so overwhelmingly anti-Christian.

Ok, so I guess a study done by a school of psychology is completely worthless. Let's make sure to never fund studies again since they are not evidence in your world.

Here's another for you. The countries on the 2018 ranking which are dominantly non-religious like France, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark are pretty high up on the suicide list. Care to explain why?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/

I've dealt with your kind long enough to know it is a waste of time to present evidence. And when I tested the waters here, it was laughed at because that's really the driving force for atheists in these discussion. They don't want evidence. They just want to mock us and dismantle evidence. Well news flash, you can poke holes of doubt in ANYTHING. There is very little that you can prove beyond any possible doubt in this world.

Atheists are merely fooling themselves by putting up shields and barriers that once stripped away, they realize how hollow, meaningless and hopeless their life is. Anything you built up as a vehicle for happiness can be snatched away in an instance. What would you tell the mother who lost her entire family in a freak accident on the normally fun and enjoyable Branson Ride the Ducks boat? Hey, sorry sucks to be you and that the random deck of cards just gave you a lousy hand? There is no meaning in your world. Just senseless randomness where anyone can suddenly cease to exist at anytime.

Sorry, but that stance really comes off as a big copout. Why ever study anything again if all you can do is throw out the correlation and causation defense. In my book, anything that even remotely suggests a certain reality is evidence. Tiny evidence is still evidence.

According to my link, the most religious countries are ranked the lowest. Take a country like Saudi Arabia where religion is deeply engrained in their society. I have an American friend that lives over there and he loves it. Friendly people, good food, zero crime, great shopping, and low suicide rate.

OTOH in the US, you have atheists doing stuff like forming their own churches because they desperately need to fill that void. In the physical world, life is in the blood. No blood, no life. In the spirit world, life is in love. A person who has a void of giving or receiving love is dying inside. No love, no life.

And I can say that just because I sat in my chair a thousand times doesn't prove that it will support my weight the next time. Just because you crossed a bridge a thousand times doesn't mean it won't collapse today. While you completely reject the possibility that I am right, you offer zero counter evidence. If atheists are not causing the higher suicide rate then what is? Nothing you say here shows me that I'm wrong either.

What I usually say to people who have suffered a loss is

"I am sorry for your loss. Is there anything I can do to help"

Telling someone that their loved ones are now in a better place sounds more like an insult, especially to the parents. I have been to funerals, mostly in churches and what i say is very similar to what others exoress. You don't have to get in your high horse and think that only you and fellows like you can express emphathy or care. You really do see us as heartless, uncaring monsters don't you.

I am very glad that the religious people I know are nothing like you because otherwise I would certainly have a distorted view if their religions.

9n a lesser note when I sit on a chair and it breaks my first thought is OH, followed by what happened and then can I fix it. But a chair breaking us so rare that no I don't examine it fully and test it each time I go to sit on it. I fully expect that at some point a chair will collapse on me upon my using it, it has in the past aND I hope to live long enough for one to collapse again. But it is rare for the chair to collapse. Just another example that you understand very little about people you detest.

As far as what is causing the increase in suicide rate why not read the article you posted? There are reasons provided, none if which was either real atheism nor your weird conception of atheism.

The only good coming from your post is knowing that I will not be meeting you at any funeral I would attend. And also Saudi Arbia executes witches and atheists, even have a special witch section of their police. I can understand why you would think highly of a theocracy .

If you are right about there being a God He will ask why didn't you believe and I will say "not enough evidence" I think it was Bertrand Russell.

When you die God will ask you "Why didn't you follow any of the loving and caring parts of the Bible" Not sure what your reply would be.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Thanks for taking that. Jeff's expressed mindset is so insular and dismissive of all logic and reason that one doesn't know where to start. He doesn't know whether the chair will collapse? Then why doesn't he test it carefully each time? I bet he just sits in it -as we all do - because experience gives a reasonable expectation that it will act according to the laws of physics.

And Saudi -Arabia? Paradise on earth, I'm sure;. Until he goes online with his blog saying "Jesus was actually sone of God you know, and the Quran is wrong in saying he isn't." I hope he can e-mail Jeff about how wonderfully free it is there before they cart him away.

Notice how these people always have a handy "Friend" who can provide them with just the evidence they need, from someone whose mother was dying of cancer and the doctors said she wouldn't last the night to some 'atheist friends who tell them how despairing and suicidal they feel all the time.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:43 PM

62 posts, read 33,484 times
I was just watching the evening news and there were two stories of professional football players assaulting women, in two completely separate incidents. They showed pictures of these men, both black with dreadlocks.

Thus using the same level of ignorance as linking suicide to being atheist, then it must be true that black men with dreadlocks abuse women.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm a believer, and I wouldn't commit suicide because it violates a spiritual agreement with God. That's a good enough reason for me.

That being said, my own beloved husband chose to put a bullet in his brain in April 2016, and he was a very proud atheist. He thought it was "lights out" when you die.

As someone who survived a near-death experience, I can state with authority, he was quite wrong.
I'm very sorry for your loss. I too lost a loved one to suicide - my son in January 2014.

I became very interested in NDE's.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
The ones at the top of the list all appear to be Ukrainian countries. That doesn't surprise me. Poverty, high crime, alcoholism, and long cold winters are more likely to be the driving mechanism for suicide in those countries.
You make my point for me while missing it yourself.

Quote:
If you wanted evidence, you would be in the churches seeing if it for real. Interviewing doctors who claim to witness miracles, testimonies etc instead of just auto rejecting anything a Christian throws out there.
Again with inventing excuses. I have had a look at many of these testimonies. That is why I reject them, because religious people (not just Christians, your persecution complex is showing) like to invent evidence for their beliefs. It is a constant pattern with the religious. That is why I know before I investigate any claim that it will most probably be invented. So far I have always been correct. From the shroud of Turin to creationist science papers.

Because you have no real evidence. Otherwise it would be in the news. Evidence for a god finally found across every news paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality