Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times

Advertisements

I am not sure where to put this, but this being my most often visited site and it relating to Hell I thought this might be a good spot, and something not so acid to start a Sunday morning with. It was sent to me by another chemist, and I have loved it from the day I received it. I can't believe they say geeks have no sense of humor.

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following.......First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in orderfor the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose. 2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."This student received the only "A".

Last edited by cncracer; 04-06-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i LOVE it!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 AM

321 posts, read 920,704 times
Brilliant!! I love geek comedy!!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
He sounds like a universalist

Old 04-06-2008, 10:40 AM

131 posts, read 312,826 times
v good

Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Hell yes.
Geeks rule.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
geeks for the win!
Seriously though, didn't the bible specifically imply that hell is very very cold

Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
But, but he never determined the mass or energy of each soul. And you need that to determine expansion rates.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:13 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
geeks for the win!
Seriously though, didn't the bible specifically imply that hell is very very cold
that was Dante...
i think the bible said a firey pit

Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
But, but he never determined the mass or energy of each soul. And you need that to determine expansion rates.

If we can all decrease the mass of our souls and create an exothermic enviornment in hell, then.... there will be " no room at the inn"!!

So, how do I decrease my souls mass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality