Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Also, when you sing "Jesus Loves Me This I Know" and "Jesus Loves the Children of the World" there is the fact that Jesus lived two thousand years ago, and everyone who lived two thousand years ago died and are incapable of loving anyone, to consider. "The Bible tells me so," that the Earth one stopped rotating on command from Joshua, hordes of dead people came up out of their graves, according to Gospel Matthew, and that God is an omnipotent Being who makes mistakes. Among other preposterous claims.

In other words, perhaps it's time to outgrow the childish notions that are found in the Bible.

"Twinkle, twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are." Stars are not "diamonds in the sky" at all. They are giants balls of mostly hydrogen and helium undergoing thermonuclear reactions, very very far away. It's possible to grow up and actually know things. But it does require putting our childlike assumptions behind us.
Good point. I wonder if all this confusion is just a crossing point in time of child-to-adult understandings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Those of the kingdom of heaven have no need to ask, for God knows every need.
(Matthew 6:30-34) First one must seek "His kingdom, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you".

As for praying to God, he apparently does not hear the prayers of a sinner. (John 9:31)
In order for one to repent, they must know what they need to repent from.
That is hard for the hypocrite and the doubleminded.
Darn it...I thought I had found a kindred soul at your first sentence, I bolded.

It went downhill from there. oh well....

Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Darn it...I thought I had found a kindred soul at your first sentence, I bolded.

It went downhill from there. oh well....
Any biblical quote in a thread title is going to bring out at least a couple of the religious fringe element.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Any biblical quote in a thread title is going to bring out
at least a couple of the religious fringe element.

I think you would give the shirt off your back to someone.
That's who I think you are. xo
Just felt like sayin that.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:17 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Good point. I wonder if all this confusion is just a crossing point in time of child-to-adult understandings.
yup. the transition time is always award, like that last push from a new mother. we are the transition from ape, into, something else.

but like I tried to tell you before, some of us see it and some of us don't. just like some of us can be professional athletes and some of us can't.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Homeless, no. But I have been unemployed, and gotten tremendous help from the church. And not just the church writing me a check, but individuals within the church deciding to bless me and my family. With money, food, gift certificates, short-term work, and encouragement.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:56 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Homeless, no. But I have been unemployed, and gotten tremendous help from the church. And not just the church writing me a check, but individuals within the church deciding to bless me and my family. With money, food, gift certificates, short-term work, and encouragement.
Alas, organized religion does seem to have an edge with this type of support, and from what I have seen, the Baptists and LDS are particularly supportive.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Why do we stop believing in Santa's flying reindeer, and yet continue to believe that Jesus actually returned to life and flew away? The answer, for most people, is because their parents always expected them to, nudge nudge wink wink, grow out of believing in Santa, but were dead serious about believing in a flying reanimated corpse. Because that's the process THEY went through. The question is not whether or not we grew up to be smarter than our parents. The question is whether or not we grew up to be less ignorant than our parents.

I was born in the 1940's. Relatively few people in the 1940's graduated college. Today graduating college is quite common. My parents graduated high school, something that was itself considered quite an academic achievement not many generations ago. I hold multiple degrees. So the answer to the question, "Are the people of my generation less ignorant than their parents" is a resounding YES! People are much better educated today than their grandparents were. Being less ignorant necessarily means being able to put the ignorant make believe that was accepted as common knowledge by the earlier generations behind us. We are not smarter than our parents. But we are and should be less ignorant.

Being less ignorant and being less childlike in our understanding of how the universe works as a result go hand in hand.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If indeed that does happen (and unverified claims are not unknown) what a wonderful system to have the church support some people out of the money they get from them and pay no taxes on thus enabling the party the church supports and which supports them, to cut any commie atheist government help programs. Thus enslaving the people to the church even more and edging that bit closer to a US Christian fundamentalist theocracy.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:00 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Alas, organized religion does seem to have an edge with this type of support, and from what I have seen, the Baptists and LDS are particularly supportive.

Supportive of whom? Support their enemies, or their friends? Do not the Gentiles/wicked support their friends? (Matthew 5:42-48)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality