Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:17 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Maybe the fact that you've grown up, grown old, and yet still subscribe to make believe contributes to a general feeling that your life hasn't measured up.

Or maybe you need to consider just what the concept of "better" actually means. Better than who? Better than Hitler? I don't know you, but I suspect you can pass that test easily enough. Better than JC? If you continue to subscribe to make believe then of course you will fail to measure up.

Many (most?) people have an inherent feeling when they are young that they were put in this world for a special purpose. By the time they reach old age they must either conclude that their life was a waste, or come to the realization that they had a life, and that WAS the purpose.

It never occurred to me that life sucks. I was far too occupied trying to figure existence out.
Yes. I will focus on the fact that I had a life - everything else is just a waste of brainpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Are you a parent?
Why do you ask?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If by "the larger scheme of things" you mean all the universe, then Earth doesn't amount to much, let alone one individual life on Earth.
True - not sure how to evaluate that because according to my beliefs, there would be a purpose to coming to Earth or any other planet - to learn stuff - so it wouldn't matter how big or small the planet was or if I was a human or a dog.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
True - not sure how to evaluate that because according to my beliefs, there would be a purpose to coming to Earth or any other planet - to learn stuff - so it wouldn't matter how big or small the planet was or if I was a human or a dog.
Do you believe you should know your purpose while in this life?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Do you believe you should know your purpose while in this life?
Not necessarily, but I would think upon retrospect, that it might become obvious.

As I said before: I think a person's experiences here are solely to expand/enrich their soul . . . so egoic things like "accomplishing" things would not be important - it would be more about "learning lessons," learning more about yourself, opening your heart more, etc. (as far as I can fathom).

I don't think I have become a "better" person at all. I have probably become a worse person, just as a factor of wear and tear of this life.

It's confusing to me.

I can also see that my logic is lacking because the way I am seeing this everyone who learned lessons would evolve in this life and that would mean that you would have a bunch of really awesome old people, which is not the case.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:48 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
I believe in reincarnation, and I always feel like everything is a waste where I say,'' What is the use of it all?''

I think it is hard for us to get outside the box to see the big picture and just what has been accomplished and I would say the Earth began with animals that involved into Humans with spirit, and that there is only one spirit with an agenda to become bigger and each human has a part of this when they stop acting like animals to grow faith hope and love.

The way you catch a monkey is to put a fruit in a jar with an opening only big enough for the fruit, and so when the monkey puts his hand on the fruit, he is stuck as if he had handcuffs on because of his greed, and I think we have come a long way since then.

We are just making our way step by step to the next evolution and this evolution of man is the outcome of the bible, there is a flood coming. Jesus said it will be just like the days of Noah because it is the flood of Noah that is coming but it is not water, and where the first flood killed the Earth, the second promises life and evolution of mankind.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Curious about your response. Buddhists believe in reincarnation, so . . .

I think assessing one's life in old age is appropriate - and hopefully there will be "more time," but I am not sure what I "should" be doing right now that would make my lifetime here worthwhile. It seems insignificant - not only to others I have encountered, but for my growth. Hopefully, I am wrong.
Well, actually it's more accurate to say that most Buddhists believe in rebirth. But remember, following Buddhism doesn't mean believing in everything. We're supposed to test the teachings and decide how to apply them to our lives.

The problem is that none of us can know what would make you feel more fulfilled.

If you are feeling isolated, may I suggest meetup.com. There are some interesting groups, not necessarily related to your post, but things you may find that will help you connect more.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
have you ever considered that there may nothing to the idea of reincarnation which is why it doesn't seem to be teaching you anything? That there's nothing 'wrong' with you but iust something wrong with the concept?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Has it ever occurred to anyone that some nihilist love to share?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Why do you ask?
Because that's a lesson in itself. And as a parent at least, you're suppose become more of a sage as you age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality