Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:44 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm Buddhist, and I think that rebirth (similar to reincarnation) is a possibility.

First, it's never too late...unless you're homebound. I'm nearly 70 and tutoring a Buddhist monk.

Second, and I'm serious about this -- I think it's time you watched "It's A Wonderful Life" (possibly again) to remember it's message.
Interesting comment. I think I am the only person on the planet who has never watched "It's a Wonderful Life." I have seen snippets of it, of course, because that's unavoidable.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting comment. I think I am the only person on the planet who has never watched "It's a Wonderful Life." I have seen snippets of it, of course, because that's unavoidable.
Really? It was my favourite movie for at least 30 years. Still has a comfortable spot in my Top 10, though I now let 2-3 years go by before watching it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Really? It was my favourite movie for at least 30 years. Still has a comfortable spot in my Top 10, though I now let 2-3 years go by before watching it again.
It's everybody's favorite movie. People's faces go into shock mode when I say I have never seen it. It's mostly because I find Jimmy Stewart's voice and manner of speaking irritating, and the clips I have seen are nothing but him talking.

I suppose I should give it a shot one of these years since everyone seems to love it.

What's weird is that it's a pretty old movie, and yet I never heard of it until I was an adult.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am old. I believe in reincarnation.
Do you believe we only reincarnate as humans? I don't want to reincarnate at all, but it's one the reasons I'm considering going vegan.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
How many billions of people have lived and died on this planet over the last million years or so? How many can you name and of those, how many can you describe their life achievements? People get into the history books for a lot of things. Some good some bad. The vast majority of us will not be remembered more than a generation or two beyond our passing. In the larger scheme of things we do not see where we have left anything of ourselves behind.

What is the measurement to determine if a persons life had value in the overall scheme of things? Does a rich persons life achievements have more value than that of an artist. Who will be remembered longer? Einstein or Carnegie? And does it really matter?

If you believe we are spending our lives here in the physical form for the purpose of learning or experiencing than what could you actually take with you into the spiritual world? How about the deeds, and love and memories you shared with others?

Its not about what you did for yourself or where you ended up on some scale. Its about what you did for others. Did you show anger or disdain, or did you show compassion and love? If your life story was open to all for viewing, what would you be proud of and what would you be afraid to show?
Yeah. I know. I said all of that, above.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Do you believe we only reincarnate as humans? I don't want to reincarnate at all, but it's one the reasons I'm considering going vegan.
I don't know.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think I am the only person on the planet who has never watched "It's a Wonderful Life."
Here's the second person who's never seen it.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Here's the second person who's never seen it.
I haven't really "seen" it, either. I went to the movies one time with someone to "see" it, but it did not engage me and I ended up not paying attention to it at all. The one thing I remember is that it is schmaltzy.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I haven't really "seen" it, either. I went to the movies one time with someone to "see" it, but it did not engage me and I ended up not paying attention to it at all. The one thing I remember is that it is schmaltzy.
It is indeed that. Some might call it "wonderfully" schmaltzy.

I'm wondering if you missed my post #31 in this thread.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It is indeed that. Some might call it "wonderfully" schmaltzy.

I'm wondering if you missed my post #31 in this thread.
No. I saw it. It's hard to discuss this without getting too personal.

I will just say for the last 25+ years, most of my life has been in service to others - and in recent years, I have stepped up my "unrecognized" service (like I said, hard to discuss - I didn't contribute to a thread asking what you do for others because I understand that bragging about it, or even talking about it at all, negates it - makes it about ego, and instead of a more "selfless" act (which I don't believe is even possible).

So I'm "doing" the best I can - and again, for me, it is not about "production" or "doing" - it is about "being." And I don't feel I am any "better" now than I was at age 5 - and if I live another 20 years and keep doing "good" things, I still won't be any "better."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality