Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 08:44 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Religious forums? Seems like a waste of time and electrons. Why post on a forum of which is devoted to a subject of which holds no relevance to one. I don’t knit or fly airplanes. I don’t visit knitting or airplane forums. So why all the none-spiritual people on this forum? Uncertain about one’s belief system? Perhaps.

If I’ve asked this question before, forgive me. I am simply perplexed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Don't be perplexed, it's quite simple. Because it's a free country. And it's allowed. It's called a discussion board, not "Let's be exclusive so you're not welcome" board.
Why do they do it? Because the Anti-Religion haters are so lowdown...they no longer realize they are lowdown.
Which is why they are viewed to be the lowest of the low by the majority of the world.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/and...ist-same-thing
Most unfortunate...I will pray for them.
Luckily, for the world...there are very few of them, and becoming less of a share of the global population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 08:46 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In my case, I do love to learn about philosophy. To me religious/theological views are not different then different philosophical views in life.
Philosophy is relative to thinking/reasoning in and of itself, which is far different than religious/theological views in life i.e. the very essence of the latter is to deny logical thought.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:59 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Why do they do it? Because the Anti-Religion haters are so lowdown...they no longer realize they are lowdown.
Which is why they are viewed to be the lowest of the low by the majority of the world.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/and...ist-same-thing
Most unfortunate...I will pray for them.
Luckily, for the world...there are very few of them, and becoming less of a share of the global population.
This makes absolutely no sense. You should be praying for yourself.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:24 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Don't be perplexed, it's quite simple. Because it's a free country. And it's allowed. It's called a discussion board, not "Let's be exclusive so you're not welcome" board.
Another person who seems to believe that these are praise forums. I'm not a Civil War soldier, and despite being old I'm not old enough to have lived during the Civil War. But if that topic comes up in the history sub-forum, I'm likely to join the discussion since it is a topic that interests me.

Like you, I'm not clear why some religionists are so befuddled about this.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:28 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
I decided to read that article about how atheists are the lowest of the low, and it reads more like another example of how religious thinking can be so dopey...

"There they are walking along the street, not hurting anything but not believing in God, and every time they pass a church they can feel people looking out the stained-glass window and thinking, “There goes another rapist.” "

Funny that a religious person posts this article as if it's an intelligent contribution to this discussion. Not only is it dopey, but it goes back to 2011 and offers no links to the studies referenced. So who knows about those studies, but apparently one is a survey of 105 undergraduate students. Based on this kind of nonsense, I suppose we're supposed to be convinced all religious people are this dopey? That's what the article seems to be suggesting.

I sure hope not...

Old 07-25-2022, 11:25 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. You should be praying for yourself.
Exactly, many religious people are disgusting, frightened bigots because of straw people posting on the internet.

And he stirs this hatred while supporting religious intolerance.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Exactly, many religious people are disgusting, frightened bigots because of straw people posting on the internet.

Who should be tolerant of being insulted and mocked...daily, for years...by people that don't even know them?
Believe whatever you want, and state your views...promote it right to the end...but at the same time let others believe & promote what they do, without slight, scorn, or snub.
I'm not talking about "praise only"...I'm referring to addressing differing views and Beliefs in a respectful and decent manner, even as those differences are noted. Calling people "disgusting, frightened bigots", is not. That's what is demonstrative of hatred.
The Religious base their views on what is written in the most epic and prolific books in human history...their relating that info from their interpretation can never be insulting or derisive...just a relay of what's written.
Those that are Atheist or Non-religious, should put forth their position from their sources...without insult of the contrasting Beliefs/Views.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:58 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

The bigots have been complaining that they are not being tolerated. I think we can PC up the term and refer to them as "people with bigotry" so we see them and not their handicap.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
The bigots have been complaining that they are not being tolerated. I think we can PC up the term and refer to them as "people with bigotry" so we see them and not their handicap.
The bigotry, bias, and prejudice is toward those that get their moral directives and information about life and afterlife from the most epic and prolific books in human history...by those that work off of sources that don't have anywhere near that status.
When the Atheists, or anyone else, can show that they have a more enduring, influential, or trusted basis for the beliefs/views they put forth....they may have a case to present.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:43 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The bigotry, bias, and prejudice is toward those that get their moral directives and information about life and afterlife from the most epic and prolific books in human history...by those that work off of sources that don't have anywhere near that status.
When the Atheists, or anyone else, can show that they have a more enduring, influential, or trusted basis for the beliefs/views they put forth....they may have a case to present.
I thought we did that with the moral thread. Many of us clearly demonstrated where we got our morals from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality