Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 09:16 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nah, based on the interactions I've had with you, it's not working. Sorry. You're just as bad as me.
Maybe I'm not one of the billions. But my point stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 09:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe I'm not one of the billions. But my point stands.
It really doesn't. The problem of sin remains. Buddhists are not immune to that.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It really doesn't. The problem of sin remains. Buddhists are not immune to that.
Nor are christians.

And that's the point...that you think you have the only way. That's just ego talking.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:54 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nor are christians.

And that's the point...that you think you have the only way. That's just ego talking.
I agree. I'm not immune. I have sin, and will this side of Heaven. Only Jesus deals with it. Buddhism has no answer to the problem of sin other than to tell you to try harder.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:57 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Hey Phet, is there anything in Buddhism that is characterized as "sin"? I was thinking sin is a Christianity/man made concept.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I agree. I'm not immune. I have sin, and will this side of Heaven. Only Jesus deals with it. Buddhism has no answer to the problem of sin other than to tell you to try harder.
That's just your anti-other-religion perspective. You're a hater.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Hey Phet, is there anything in Buddhism that is characterized as "sin"? I was thinking sin is a Christianity/man made concept.
I don't think we use the word "sin", but then again we are talking about an English word, rather than a Pali word.

We have the Five Precepts that define 'moral behavior' in Buddhism:

Abstain from killing
Abstain from stealing
Abstain from sexual misconduct
Abstain from wrong speech
Abstain from the use of intoxicating substances that cause inattention

They are not commandments, because they are not imposed on people. They are the path to reducing or eliminating suffering for oneself and others. But what is moral behavior? In Buddhism these virtues are not just do this, do that. They get down to the underlying motive of intent.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:10 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Perhaps it explains why I consider the logicality re: a theist’s right to believe what they want as relative to our right not to profess a religion or believe in a god. Nevertheless, it does not explain (some of the posts in) this thread. :-)
Yes theists have the right to believe in a God or in their own religion. However some if the theists believes they get from their religiin is directly or indirectly affectingbothers and society in negative ways. Plus for some theists they view those of othe rreligions or of no religion in negative sterotypes.

Discussions or even arguing with some theists force both them and ourselves to view a subject in acdiffetent light. Yes some theists and atheists have no interest in viewing a topic in a fifferent light but others do and hence forums exist

Old 08-11-2022, 10:25 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
"Sin" is a crime against an invisible and imaginary entity. There is no such thing. Yeah, I'm immune from sin, and millions of others are as well.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:34 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah ya think? I mean even if for the sake of argument it were true that the son went "straight to hell" why would you feel the need to RUB IT IN? That is just deliberate cruelty, and in my book, in a just universe people would go "straight to hell" for that before they went there for being in despair.

I think a lot of this black-and-white rigid thinking about suicide and depression represents a desire to deny that life is objectively difficult in a world that is obviously full of problems and problematic persons, full of grief, sorrow, loneliness, betrayal and confusion. Because that leads to a conclusion that is intolerable to fundamentalists: their faith isn't some simple fix for all this. It is not some magic silver bullet that puts psychiatrists out of business and makes all personal problems trivial if not entirely gone and replaces it with "the joy of the Lord". After all that is the value proposition they argue to prospective converts: are you sad and lost and unhappy? Jesus is the answer, my friend!

This is why they need to eject people with too many or too persistent problems from full fellowship. In my experience you got empathy and support for relatively minor difficulties, or for more major ones so long as they were transient and tidily resolved in fairly short order and can become the basis for some triumphalist narrative in your personal testimony. But if you had unspeakable loss or tragedy or -- worse -- difficulty coping with seemingly ordinary challenges then you become a Problem and start getting Lectured. Buck up and tow the line. And if you don't, you are a backslider. We're supposed to be busy living the Victorious Christian Life (tm) here! Get with the program! -- That's the subtext.

So a lot of everyday life in such circles is everyone trying to jack up each other's mood (often in unconvincing ways) or else just keeping their problems to themselves because you can't show weakness / lack of faith by being sad or unhappy in any ongoing way. You have found the capital-A Answer to capital-L Life and that's your story and you're sticking to it.
Your insights into the fundamentalist mindset are truly awesome, mordant. You missed your calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality